• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Informal Shooting - Alone or with Friends?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very fortunate in that my best friend and shooting partner, is as serious of a shooter as I am. If we're at the range together, we're both likely "working" which makes the experience more enjoyable, so I guess I don't prefer to be alone if I can choose my company.

Usually my wife and I. Nearly everyone around here shoots those "abortions" that are ... well ... just intended to get more days of hunting. The range where we shoot is pretty isolated and we are almost always alone.. That's OK but I miss the guys I used to shoot with [lousy english Dale] Polecat
I shoot with my wife, too. It doesn't matter what others are shooting. I'm the only BP shooter I know, but if others are shooting modern firearms (like my wife), it has no effect on what I'm doing.

I asked my wife if she wanted to try my flintlock, and she just said, "Hell no!" That for a laugh from the RSOs.

Alone. Unfortunately I'm currently confined to my club, which is great, but they don't have anywhere special for black powder (a guy can hope right) So if other people are there, they are usually banging away with AR's or similar modern stuff...great for when I'm shooting my modern guns, but when I have my BP guns out I'd prefer to be alone, its a slower more relaxed pace of shooting which is ruined when there are others.

I've found my favorite times to go are when the weather isn't optimal during the week, usually does the trick of keeping others away. My favorite time thus far was during a light snowfall, inch or two on the ground and it was dead quiet out, well except for me and my flintlock. Just need to find a club that has a BP area only or a private piece of property to shoot on.

Prefer alone, unless my son is with me. Anyone else it becomes a social event and not a lot of shooting gets done, and its generally my ammo- future son in law will be needing to bring his own soon

Don't drop a cigarette!

You need to gather that brass up! My friend that has a private range had three 5 gallon pails 3/4 full of spent brass. He carried it to the scrap yard and they gave him $150.00 for it.

Back