• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Informal Shooting - Alone or with Friends?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple guys, couple pistols, few stakes, pocket full of half a dozen champagne corks, get out in a slash with some trees and obstacles, walk around and scout a bit, examine the lay of the land, eat lunch, and then choose shots and set up corks. Best shots get remembered forever and named as the "Bob X" shot, or "Mathew Y" shot. Usually end up finishing up recreating a few shots from last time, especially if there's a new guy around. Good way to introduce him to the fun and test out his meat.

I do the same thing stump shooting traditional archery. The shot that has my first and last name is located by standing under a certain red oak on the fork of a stream near Colgate lake in the catskills running below an overgrown farmstead where I once intentionally threaded an arrow straight through the overhanging roots of a giant blow down which hung across at exactly the peak point of an arrow's arc where it then drops three and a half feet completing the arch to a stack of rocks on the opposite bank 27 yards away marking the spot where I once watched an arrow plunge into a good little buck's lungs shortly after a careful stalk, using the sound of the stream to mask my footfalls as he fed. I had spotted him from above and moved down on him 25 minutes earlier.

Last edited:
Solitude is bliss

Screenshot_20210903-095044_Gallery.jpg

Alone when learning a new gun's preferences or working up a load. Although I enjoy the comradery of informal competitions I don't have many friends who shoot black powder so the matter seldom comes up.

One thing I don't mind is when approached with questions about black powder and muzzleloaders. (During a break for targets.) Youngsters, especially, are drawn to a flintlock or cap and ball revolver like hummingbirds to syrup. They are so different from the modern stuff their dads and grandads are using. They are so curious and, with the parent's permission, I let them take a few shots. Their reactions and smiles make for fine company.

Jeff

I have two ranges I can use. w/in 7 miles of home. When you go to the larger of the two , you never know who will be there or will show up. If the cop snipers are there , and one bench is open , I'll shoot too.They are so self absorbed in what they are doing , except for the loud booms and smoke I make , they ignore me. Sometimes , a good friend and I have a breakfast , then go to shoot , and then get lunch on the way home.
The second range has only two shooting benches , both covered. The club house and rifle range are back from the club entrance 3/10 mile, and private , I quit going there alone due to one day being there by myself , and two guys showed up with a Mac ten and a nine MM pistol and asked me if they could fire their guns , just to make sure they were working ok. They weren't club members , and said they figured nobody would mind. I questioned them vaguely , just to see if they appeared legit. They didn't , and I didn't show it , but was very uneasy. They shot their guns a few times and left. From then on , I haven't used that range w/o someone else with me. .I also don't go to any range alone or otherwise ,w/o carrying hidden protection. With the country being over run w/so many foreigners and criminals , Think I will be ready for any manure sandwiches coming my way. Also , the State Police here tell you, it could be 45 min. to an hour before they can come. Your on your own...............oldwood

When testing whatever at the range (different gun, different powder, different something or other) I can understand just wanting to be left alone to concentrate.

How about just wanting to get out and shoot?
Do folks prefer to be on their own or is it more fun with shooter friends?

For me, I prefer to be among like minded shooters. I have a couple folks I shoot with regularly. We do have some BS sessions when we go cold, but when the range is hot, we also chuck quite a bit of lead down range.

I understand the desire to concentrate. I also recognize that for a competitor to be successful in N-SSA type of shooting, you must be able to focus and channel regardless of the pandemonium around you. That chaos is part and parcel to N-SSA style competition as it seeks to somewhat recreate the nature of an active battle line in the Civil War without the incoming fire.

Another reason for not being alone, some problems are best solved as a collaborative effort. I've seen several issues resolved by observers during testing that would otherwise still be issues for that competitor.

When testing whatever at the range (different gun, different powder, different something or other) I can understand just wanting to be left alone to concentrate.

Yeah, the other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Whitmore
And his partners Crockett and Boone
… And we shot alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I shoot alone
I prefer to be by myself.

I prefer with friends. Unfortunately, the only one I have left, any time I say 'let's go (insert activity here) Bill' it's always 'yeah we'll have to do that some time'. Seems 'some time' never gets here.

I prefer with friends. Unfortunately, the only one I have left, any time I say 'let's go (insert activity here) Bill' it's always 'yeah we'll have to do that some time'. Seems 'some time' never gets here.

Thanks for all the responses.

I believe Bubba's situation is kinda where I'm at. It doesn't help that I'm in that 'fairly-new-at-semi-retired-age'. Not by choice - life has slowed down early for me (stove-up for a variety of reasons). Performance of very mundane tasks now require assistance. Those folks close to me saying 'just let me know and I'll be there' need one of those 'round-tuitt' things, cuz they sure ain't got one now.

I tend to go on and on, so I'll stop there. I don't want to turn this into any more of a sour grapes thing than I already have.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.....

I dont mind shooting with a friend, but if I am doing serious range work, I prefer to do it on my own. I will usually set up at several different distances. My range time is usually limited and I can focus and be more productive.

I pretty much prefer alone and that's the way it is most of the time at the club range. I take my good old time putzing around without holding anybody else up. I usually shoot 20 shots per session but I might take a couple hours doing that, especially if the weather is nice.

I sometimes shoot with my son on weekends and that's fine too, but I always feel like I'm on somebody else's schedule then. When I'm by myself the schedule is entirely my own.

If I'm dialing in a new load, bullet, scope, I prefer to shoot alone. But just goin out on a farm or range and just gettin some trigger therapy & havin some fun, I like bein with some friends & enjoy the social aspects of other guys that love shooting.

I’m primarily a lone hunter, also preferring to practice alone as well, particularly with any kind of load/rifle development. I will say that when the occasion arises, I have always been more then happy to assist those seeking assistance or advice with their muzzleloading, and will bring my rifle along to do some shooting with them.

I shoot alone, but I’m like black powder maniac shooter , because I don’t have any body like to shoot this old stuff. That what my friends tell my at work.

I shoot alone , but once in a while my son goes along. I belong to a club so the range is entrance only by key.
So there is no security issues using any of the 5 ranges, The SGTMAJ says I'm a loaner . I could live in a cave
don't have to be around people. I guess you could say that I'm OCD once I start something , don't guit till
done , especially shooting, Spent a lot of nights in the shop , I whistle , hum , and talk to myself so I'm
never alone.
gunnyr

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses.

I believe Bubba's situation is kinda where I'm at. It doesn't help that I'm in that 'fairly-new-at-semi-retired-age'. Not by choice - life has slowed down early for me (stove-up for a variety of reasons). Performance of very mundane tasks now require assistance. Those folks close to me saying 'just let me know and I'll be there' need one of those 'round-tuitt' things, cuz they sure ain't got one now.

I tend to go on and on, so I'll stop there. I don't want to turn this into any more of a sour grapes thing than I already have.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.....
Hey RumR,
have you been watching the Paralympics? You could be just like them, doing fabulous sporting activities because you want to and make it happen. It might take more time but if your desire is there then ignore the assistance that doesn't arrive and enjoy doing as much as you can. I've had such admiration for their efforts and would too for you when you write about what you achieved.
Cheers,
J

Back