• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Info on under hammer action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWarden226

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a under hammer action, not sure the maker, bbl that came with the rifle was marked J. Wiechold. This was my first bench rifle bought several years ago and it was a learning experience. Did not ask the right questions or know what to look for, just was taken in by the bench rifle. Since that time have learned a lot and enjoy the bench ML shooting. On the pic of the face of the action you can see at the bottom of the action a crack in the metal. Tried to have this repaired to no avail. My question, is this worth anything and how much? The action would take a 1" bbl shank. Can it be sold for parts, has great double set trigger, butt plate that is useable and Redfield sight? Have been told everything from it is " not worth a plug nickel", too is salvageable to parts. Appreciate any info and help you can provide. It is doing me no good sitting on a shelf. Do not have the bbl. anymore.
bob
IMG_0092.jpeg
IMG_0093.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_0096.jpeg

Last edited:
I would think it was valuable. I associate the style with New England coach guns or sports type guns from the Northeast USA maybe as late as 1870's.

That looks like a Billinghurst! If it is, it is well worth finding the right person to repair that. All that cracked part does is hold the action to the barrel.

leverfred
There is nothing on the action that I have been able to find on the maker of the action. IF it is a Billinghurst it definitely would be worth trying to fix. I had assumed it was probably someone making a knock off of his action.

FWIW, every Billinghurst U/H I've seen had either no triggerguard (Buggy Rifle), or used the mainspring as a triggerguard, ala H&A.

I believe it's modern - to wit:

https://archive.org/stream/gunmaker00satt/gunmaker00satt_djvu.txt
WEICHOLD, Jack— 4047 Herron Ave., Cincinnati, O.
Modern under- hammer percussion match rifle.

If I may ask, what was the failed repair ?

It doesn't look to me like someone tried to weld the crack.

Last edited:
Weichold was a maker back in the 1960's from what info I have been able to get. Guess what I am interested in is it worth getting it repaired "correctly" and who can do the work "correctly" ? As it is, is it worth anything other than for parts? Appreciate input.

I have a under hammer action, not sure the maker, bbl that came with the rifle was marked J. Wiechold. This was my first bench rifle bought several years ago and it was a learning experience. Did not ask the right questions or know what to look for, just was taken in by the bench rifle. Since that time have learned a lot and enjoy the bench ML shooting. On the pic of the face of the action you can see at the bottom of the action a crack in the metal. Tried to have this repaired to no avail. My question, is this worth anything and how much? The action would take a 1" bbl shank. Can it be sold for parts, has great double set trigger, butt plate that is useable and Redfield sight? Have been told everything from it is " not worth a plug nickel", too is salvageable to parts. Appreciate any info and help you can provide. It is doing me no good sitting on a shelf. Do not have the bbl. anymore.
bob
View attachment 65977
I am not a professional welder, but it sure looks like it could be welded to me. I would find a qualified welder and have it fixed.

It can be repaired but there are a couple of things I would change myself if I were to fix it. The action is very thin at the crack due to the trigger guard inlet and it's is compounded by the hole for the trigger guard screw. A weak area and the 2 allen barrel retaining screws are capable of putting tremendous pressure on that weakened spot and likely caused the crack (possibly along with the shock of firing). I would ignore those 2 holes or plug them and move the 2 screws up to the sides of the action and add a 3rd. screw down from the top. Repaired or not continuing to use the 2 existing screws will strain the weakest part of the action and probably cause it to crack again.

It does look like the bottom screw was butting up against the barrel and the resulting pounding caused the crack. I admit that I an no gunsmith, but if it gets repaired, I would shorten that screw.

I appreciate your input fellas. Guess what the final thing is, is it worth anything? For parts or as is? I will not be using this again. Pic of my two bench rifles, built by Bruce McKelvey of Florence Alabama.

IMG_0087.jpeg

Weichold was a barrel maker, gunsmith in Cincinnatti in at least the 50's and 60's, maybe before. As said, he made barrels, among other things, and re lined barrels. I have an old Ohio chunk gun with a Weichold lined barrel that is still a shooter today. Your action is unusual but not an antique. It's value is more in its uniqueness not dollars.

I've always had a fondness for underhammers, part of a NE heritage, I guess.

I also don't see why a skilled welder couldn't repair the damage. Condemning it as not worth fixing sounds to me like either someone who didn't like or understand the style. It's a bit blocky-it's detail work even a bit cobby to my eye, but I'd not be surprised if that person's next comment was an offer to "take it off your hands".

Hawkeye2's assessment makes sense to me. I'd also want the cracked area built up; the trigger guard tip thinned; and maybe remount the whole guard down a bit.

Since you've got the to other nice underhammer target guns, I hope you ca find someone who wantsa to restore this or to build on it's otherwise solid-looking bones.

Latest posts

Back