• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info on Hawken rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Twig

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently received a Hawken style rifle as a gift and I am curious to determine the maker and possibly the year of manufacture. The barrel stamping reads; Spain Springfield Hawken 50 cl.1:66" The trigger guard is identical to the Hawken sold by Traditions Firearms. It has a brass trigger guard, butt plate and fore end cap but no patch box. Single trigger. I've Emailed Traditions but have not received any response. It is not listed under their current models. I'm thinking maybe it's a discontined model. Is anyone familar with such an animal? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to try it. Looks much better than my current muzzleloader, It's black 1&1/2" bore. Shoots a potato 100 yds but not to accurately! Yea, I'm hooked.

Just to let you know, I deleted the other entry of the same post and kept the latest one in case you changed anything.
If your OK with this great. If not, just add a reply saying "You stupid moderator! That was my first Post and now you've screwed it all up and I'll never get credit for it!!!" I'll understand.

Don't feel bad about the double post, we all have done it too.
Now I'll go dig into some old catalogs and see if I can find an answer to your quesion.

Sorry. I couldn't find anything with "Springfield Hawken" listed in my old catalogs/Blue Books.
Over the years a lot of companys have imported Muzzle loaders, most coming from Italy or Spain. Each one of the importers seems to have some name which they think will sell well and it is usually stamped on the barrel by the maker. Over the years most of the small companys have gone out of business.
This does make tracking down it's source difficult but the bottom line is "Are you happy?" If the answer is yes, and the gun is working ok then just enjoy it and burn some powder with the rest of us!
If you have questions about loads, ball sizes etc. use the search button or post your question.

I think that this is your gun:
Traditions™ Springfield Hawken Blackpowder Rifle

Features an advanced cold-drawn processed barrel that simultaneously creates deep-groove rifling, finished bore diameter, and outside octagonal dimensional for a smoother, more accurate barrel. Hooked breech feature allows for easy cleaning. High-visibility open sights plus fast action lock and smooth single non-set hunting trigger. Beech hardwood stock with brass appointments. Percussion 50 cal. with 28" blued barrel. Weight: 7.25 lbs; total length: 44.5". Mfrs. limited lifetime warranty

Traditions™ Springfield Hawken Blackpowder Rifle - .50 Cal -

S morris what do you consider to nippy? I were a shootin last week it were 9 degrees luckily no wind. spit patches wuz freezin to the muzzle afore ya cud start em down the bore i normally ( well I aint really normal anyhow) wouldn't a done this but I had a friend come over with his new flinter and wuz a itchen to make smoke we had a good time in spite of ma naturs temp.
weasel

'zonie, Thanks for cleaning up my mess on this post. Must be "newby flinch" or something. In answer to your question if I like the gun. YES! I prefer the "traditional" style over the new in-line models. My neighbor has a T/C Hawken and offered to let me shoot it just before Christmas. "nuff said I'm hooked. Can't wait to get out and work up a load! Weathers just too nippy to be able to hold still enough to get an adequate read on performance.
Gray Beard, Many Thanks for the info! I don't kmow the age I guess made in the 70's or 80's , but condition is very good. No rust or corrosion. Little sign of use other than a couple small dings on the stock about half the size of a pencil eraser.

quote:Originally posted by S. Morris:
Weathers just too nippy to be able to hold still enough to get an adequate read on performance. It's -2 degrees in north-east Ohio today, we had to jump start the dogs...
grin.gif

Cabin fever had set in, I am taking a few .75 caliber, a .58 caliber and a .45 caliber round balls and making lead snowmen...

Come on spring...

At Christmas we got an atomic clock and a radio thermometer. No more sticking my bald head out to see how cold it is or how hot either. Thank God for utilities, gas, electricity, water.

Hey Weasel.'Round here it's to nippy if bare metal and bare skin bond like super glue or if "SHE" says it's to nippy. The first rule I always mind the second rule is a warning to invoke the first rule. quote: Even on a clear day you can step in one if ya ain't paying attention

Latest posts

Back