• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

info on 1/16th sized finishing nails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what common size a 1/16th finishing nail is that would be used to pin the barrels and ramrod pipes with???

don't know if they're exact 1/16" but 15 gauge nail gun nails register as 1/16" on fractional calipers.

Last edited:
A 2d (2 penny) 15 gauge nail measures 0.072" in diameter, one inch long and is the smallest of the finishing nail sizes. The 18 gauge nail gun nails are probably closer if they are long enough.

these are not "brads" and they are round.
I did make a mistake on the gauge, they are 15 gauge angled finish "nails".

Attachments

• nails.JPG
    nails.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 13
Just use wire. Nails will need the heads cut off and rounded, and the point should be rounded down for appearances as well. With wire, you can make them temporarily shaped like allen keys, allowing for easier assembly and removal while doing the final fit and finish. You can trim to the exact length needed once everything is done.

Hi DrB,
I realize many folks use nails for pins. I don't because the steel is soft and the ends can easily mushroom when tapped by a punch. That mushrooming can cause the pin to chip out wood when it is removed. Moreover, the soft pins bend easily. I understand many folks never remove their barrels but I always urge folks to remove them at least once a year to inspect for corrosion. I use 5/64" steel rod for ramrod pipe and trigger guard pins and 3/32" rod for barrel pins. I prefer the 5/64" pins because the drill is a bit stronger than 1/16" reducing the risk of breaking it or having it flex when drilling through the stock.

dave

Hi DrB,
I realize many folks use nails for pins. I don't because the steel is soft and the ends can easily mushroom when tapped by a punch. That mushrooming can cause the pin to chip out wood when it is removed. Moreover, the soft pins bend easily. I understand many folks never remove their barrels but I always urge folks to remove them at least once a year to inspect for corrosion. I use 5/64" steel rod for ramrod pipe and trigger guard pins and 3/32" rod for barrel pins. I prefer the 5/64" pins because the drill is a bit stronger than 1/16" reducing the risk of breaking it or having it flex when drilling through the stock.

dave
I just use the nails for rr pipes and trigger guards. Barrel pins are larger, usually the 3/32 pins from Track, of course I don't really count because I don't build very often.

Hi DrB,

dave
Yes indeed. All my guns are pined with nails but I did chip one from that cause. Always always take care

.0625 Brass roundstock from onlinemetals.com: $3.00/ft. ; one foot should almost make enough pins for the whole gun (plus they don't rust).
.0625 A2 Drill Rod from toolsteelservice.com: $2.00/36"; enough for several guns (just grease it up before you put it away).
There's probably local places near you that sell that stuff, if you wanted to stay local. Shipping's killer with online stuff (I have a ThyssenKrupp down the road from me, so I pick it up there)
Remember with your pins to round the ends off and polish them after cutting them, really helps limit the chance of chipping the stock.\

Personally, I would use 1/8" pins for the barrel, but that's just me, I like 'em thick there. Actually, I prefer keys for barrels, but that doesn't always fit the asthetic/style you want.

Last edited:
Back