• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Info needed on Pedersoli 12 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently replaced the ramrod on my Pedersoli 20 with a freshy from TOW. I had to do some sanding then a refinish to get it to fit and run nicely through the thimbles.
This isn't an aesthetic issue for me but about 3/16" of the tip doesn't recess behind the muzzle. It might get a little scorched over time but I don't think it will be an issue when the load exits by. Opinions?
Having trouble with a picture but hopefully you get the idea.

wm

I would agree that it was likely a kit (no checkering). I have a similar gun made from a kit, that did not look near as nice as that when I got it, although the tiger's eye through the wrist is remarkably alike on this one and mine. It's certainly the early style. I'm guessing that it is post 1978, given the addition of a maximum load stamped into the barrel. (That load is pretty damned heavy for a gun that light I use about 68-72 grains FFg and and one ounce of shot, and it works for me on chukar, pheasant, more like 7/8 ounce for grouse, and woodcock). It a delightful upland gun to carry and handles very nicely. They are not real easy to find. A code for the date is on the bottom of the barrels, and there is a key to that code on the information section of this web site. (My comments, more or less agree with a lot of previous posts here.)

I recently replaced the ramrod on my Pedersoli 20 with a freshy from TOW. I had to do some sanding then a refinish to get it to fit and run nicely through the thimbles.
This isn't an aesthetic issue for me but about 3/16" of the tip doesn't recess behind the muzzle. It might get a little scorched over time but I don't think it will be an issue when the load exits by. Opinions?
Having trouble with a picture but hopefully you get the idea.

wm
It's not supposed to extend, but I don't think that it would be a problem. The ramrod on my kit version used to loosen after firing the first barrel, and it never seemed to interfere with the second barrel. Ironically, I bought a TOW ramrod for the gun, which developed a very slight bow which stops it from loosening on the recoil, and can be a little tight to remove when I don't orient it correctly in the thimbles.

Thanks for all the responses. Just saw another pic from the seller and there's a cheek piece on the left side. I'm left handed and that may bother me or throw me off a bit.

Not sure how easy it would be to shave it down. Or maybe easier to look for another stock. Did they come without the cheek piece?

I should ask as well - do these guns have a cast?

Last edited:
My Pedersoli, purchased this year does have a protrusion on the under rib to hold the ramrod in. Curiosly, the Track of the Wolf ramrod fits a little short by about a centimeter in mine.

Thanks for all the responses. Just saw another pic from the seller and there's a cheek piece on the left side. I'm left handed and that may bother me or throw me off a bit.

Not sure how easy it would be to shave it down. Or maybe easier to look for another stock. Did they come without the cheek piece?

I should ask as well - do these guns have a cast?
You can rasp or sand off the cheek piece fairly easily. But first, I would rasp in the cast on you want on the other side. I once worked with a stock maker who liked to build in parallel cast for his customers that would allow the recoil to slide past the shooter's cheek rather than push into it. it's very custom, but also very nice.

Not sure how you rasp in a cast. Can you clarify?

Did they make a neutral stock w/wo the cheek piece? Seems like an easy swap.

Mines and early one marked DGW but made by Pedersoli. Just a shade under 6#. I will go before it does as it can be used in so many different "roles". Claimed at least 100+ pheasants before they disappeared. A near gift from the late Bill Wescombe (Mr rolling block) back in the early 80's

That is a good idea right there. Thanks for sharing. Why this is not a factory feature I don't know. You ought to send this picture to Pedersoli??
That is a great idea and Pedersoli have incorporated it in the form of a slotted screw. I have a 2015 one and it already has it. The ramrod is piece of garbage tho. I only kept it in case I have to sell it. I made my own from a hickory blank. BTW, mine has a .690 and .715 fixed chokes and is challenging to load but patterns great!

I bought a brand new one this summer, compared it to my buddy's which is 10-12 years old (brand old as he calls it). They're pretty identical save for the usage wear on his. Good shotguns, you'll be happy with it especially if it's a good price!

That is a great idea and Pedersoli have incorporated it in the form of a slotted screw. I have a 2015 one and it already has it. The ramrod is piece of garbage tho. I only kept it in case I have to sell it. I made my own from a hickory blank. BTW, mine has a .690 and .715 fixed chokes and is challenging to load but patterns great!
AFFBC20D-B800-4349-BA1E-58EF694176ED.jpeg
AFFBC20D-B800-4349-BA1E-58EF694176ED.jpeg

Sure. Essentially you rasp file or sand off wood on the cheek side of the stock so that your eye lines up naturally. You can do this so that the cast is parallel to the center rib, or you could simply dish the stock slightly where it meets your cheek. Cast can also be created by bending the stock, its quite common on cartridge doubles, but I confess I'm not a big fan, especially on originals.

Pedersoli does not seem to maintain a stock of parts for its older guns. The barrel channels are different on the newer heavier guns, so it would require more than a call to a distributor.

Back