• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inflation/fuel question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks:
We're turning this question into a political feud. Let's get back on track? I didn't want this to become a conversation that needed to be on the American Politics forum.
I simply asked if anyone else was feeling the impact caused by the rising costs of fuel, NOT who's to blame for it!
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers, other artisans - I have no trouble (when I am solvent!) in paying for prime work. It is worth it in the long run, way after a sub-standard piece of work has given up the ghost and gone to live in a scrap pile.
Work by you is akin to work by Dave C2 or Dave Person - top of the line craftsmanship coupled with excellent choice of materials. You each know your subject matter, and strive to produce your best. That type of product is well worth the asking price, and is always in demand.

YEs. Anyone have an extra $2,000. so I can put Diesel in my Boat to take Veterans out Fishing at no charge. it only used to cost me about $500. to Fill up the boat.

Two Feathers, other artisans - I have no trouble (when I am solvent!) in paying for prime work. It is worth it in the long run, way after a sub-standard piece of work has given up the ghost and gone to live in a scrap pile.
Work by you is akin to work by Dave C2 or Dave Person - top of the line craftsmanship coupled with excellent choice of materials. You each know your subject matter, and strive to produce your best. That type of product is well worth the asking price, and is always in demand.
Craig "Wildcat" Wilcox:
Thank you very much for this. These types of compliments are what keep me (and others, I think) in business. I'm in awe that you find my craft worthy of this high praise and put me in with the likes of such esteemed company as Dave C2 and Dave Person. Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers

If you were closer I would give you all my old Lawn Mower Blades and Skill Saw Blades. They would make good knives or spears or arrowheads most likly. Check your local dump where hay throw this kind of stuff away. if you have a smelter and forge your most likley able to melt it all down and come up with something. way back when I was in High School they had all that equipment in the Metal Shop. I made a nice axe that was thrown away years ago and another student made a Cannon that really worked. he blew a hole clear thru a teachers VW Bug in the parking lot. they said no more cannons after that. but we did learn skills.

Expect what is going on to continue and worsen, so plan accordingly. I'm using these times to change how I buy things. We've all become addicted to cheap, crappy goods from China. I'm now trying my hardest to buy only American made (not just American assembled), and from Artisan's and Craftsman's. It costs more, but the quality is superior and I'm supporting good, hard working Americans. It's amazing to me how many "cottage industries" there actually are in our country.

I simply asked if anyone else was feeling the impact caused by the rising costs of fuel
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (latest data including August 2021) retail gas prices are not really that high compared to recent times, but it is a convenient excuse many use to justify price increases. Do you remember transportation costs going down when fuel prices were falling?
1631894750075.png

Howdy folks:
This is NOT a political discussion, simply a question?
I'm curious to hear from other craftsmen here: Is anyone besides me feeling the crunch of this new inflation "norm?"
My steel prices went up 5% in January. I was told that was Covid related?? But I only raised my prices 2%. NOW this morning, when I ordered steel, I got hit with another 5% increase in shipping costs due the the huge jump in fuel prices!!
I'm just curious whether anyone else is experiencing this? At this rate, I'll have to stop making and selling my knives and wares. I can't keep jumping my prices everytime one of my suppliers does, or no one will buy from me? I sure can't afford to keep paying it out of my own pocket and losing money. I appreciate everyone's support, but my days here may be numbered.
Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers
You are not alone in that boat! Suppliers of necessities, like steel, food, clothing, etc., never seem to have to bite the bullet - even to the point of passing on tax increases to their customers! Unfortunately most on here don't supply necessities which folks can't get along without! I know I don't! We are mostly in the business of supplying "toys" to a relatively small group of enthusiasts! All one can do is raise prices and pray, or continue to bite the bullet and eat as much of the cost increases as one can afford until it's no longer worth the effort! Unfortunately I don't see costs coming down anytime soon - if ever!

There's only one cause for rampant inflation. The government is printing "money" as fast as they can. Rememeber, after WW2 in Germany it took a wheelbarrow full of "money" to buy a loaf of bread.

Can anyone make Gasoline powered Muzzloaders auto loaders hold a could hundred rouns that are piezo electri sparked. maybe Multiple Barrels . There would be a market for them.

Howdy folks:
I'm curious to hear from other craftsmen here: Is anyone besides me feeling the crunch of this new inflation "norm?"
My steel prices went up 5% in January. I was told that was Covid related?? But I only raised my prices 2%. NOW this morning, when I ordered steel, I got hit with another 5% increase in shipping costs due the the huge jump in fuel prices!!
I'm just curious whether anyone else is experiencing this? At this rate, I'll have to stop making and selling my knives and wares. I can't keep jumping my prices everytime one of my suppliers does, or no one will buy from me? I sure can't afford to keep paying it out of my own pocket and losing money. I appreciate everyone's support, but my days here may be numbered.
Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I understand how you feel. We have a hobby farm and sell hay to make a little extra money on the side. Rising fuel costs have cut into our profits but fortunately I haven’t had to increase the price of our hay yet. We farm just as a hobby. I can only imagine how it’s affecting farmers who do it for a living.

Howdy folks:
Inflation is affecting everything. So far, my sales have pretty much stayed the same, but I know that will change very soon. I know exactly what you are saying regarding steel. In fact, I ordered just over $500.00 worth of 5160 I use for making bush knives just two days ago. I figured I better bite the bullet and make the investment now or pay much more later, if it is available. Depending on how you forge out your blades, you might want to consider something like Craig's list and get some leaf or coil springs or even get them from a "bone yard". It's always a challenge to make a profit in a free market that is going through turbulence. I don't know how you are marketing your wares, but consider expanding into Etsy and maybe eBay. I have found Etsy to be easier and more reasonable to deal with.
Always a pleasure Two Feathers,
W.

I understand how you feel. We have a hobby farm and sell hay to make a little extra money on the side. Rising fuel costs have cut into our profits but fortunately I haven’t had to increase the price of our hay yet. We farm just as a hobby. I can only imagine how it’s affecting farmers who do it for a living.
I only mention this because of the national tragedy being visited on independent farmers in this country. Independent farmers have one of the highest suicide rates per capita right now and no one is speaking of this. That intel is a couple years old, God help them with what is coming upon us all.

Alcohol made from a STILL and Sugar Beets, Corn Squeezing s and Tree sap, and Sea Weed. I think your onto something there. Tastes Great! More Filling.
Still.jpg

Inflation is affecting everything. So far, my sales have pretty much stayed the same, but I know that will change very soon. I know exactly what you are saying regarding steel. In fact, I ordered just over $500.00 worth of 5160 I use for making bush knives just two days ago. I figured I better bite the bullet and make the investment now or pay much more later, if it is available. Depending on how you forge out your blades, you might want to consider something like Craig's list and get some leaf or coil springs or even get them from a "bone yard". It's always a challenge to make a profit in a free market that is going through turbulence. I don't know how you are marketing your wares, but consider expanding into Etsy and maybe eBay. I have found Etsy to be easier and more reasonable to deal with.
Always a pleasure Two Feathers,
W.
w.:
Thank you for the advice. I do the stock removal method so all my 1095 comes in the proper thickness and width. I forged earlier in my life, but my stroke put a halt to that.
I'm not really looking to do a gang-buster business; so I shy away from Etsy and eBay. I DID look into Etsy, but then the demand gets to be so great that it's not fun anymore. I like making my things at my pace not one dictated by demand. My dad used to use the old saying: " Find a job you love and you'll never work another day in your life." Also "once it gets to be a job it ain't fun anymore." I don't want a JOB. I worked for 66 years. I'm 72, I want to enjoy what's left of my life. My wife and I talked about me having a website for a year or so, decided against it...same reason.. I do not get involved with social media in ANY manner, so that's a plus. Thank you again.
Good luck with your bushcraft knife business.
God bless:
Two Feathers

w.:
Thank you for the advice. I do the stock removal method so all my 1095 comes in the proper thickness and width. I forged earlier in my life, but my stroke put a halt to that.
I'm not really looking to do a gang-buster business; so I shy away from Etsy and eBay. I DID look into Etsy, but then the demand gets to be so great that it's not fun anymore. I like making my things at my pace not one dictated by demand. My dad used to use the old saying: " Find a job you love and you'll never work another day in your life." Also "once it gets to be a job it ain't fun anymore." I don't want a JOB. I worked for 66 years. I'm 72, I want to enjoy what's left of my life. My wife and I talked about me having a website for a year or so, decided against it...same reason.. I do not get involved with social media in ANY manner, so that's a plus. Thank you again.
Good luck with your bushcraft knife business.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I'm sending you a PM

Back