• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inflation/fuel question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been envious of the people with the brain to hand skills, so to say. If I tried to forge a knife or tomahawk blade I would just end up with a glob of molten metal. LOL As Actor Clint Eastwood's character Dirty Harry said: "A man has to know his limitations". LOL I can do small things. But I leave the big stuff to the guys with the knowledge, experience, and skill set to complete. And I'm happy to pay money for that skill set I don't have. And I've always been happy with the results.
One thing I've learned over the many years in the muzzle loading hobby: It's really hard to beat custom, American made stuff.

Rick

My experience with shippers is they cry fuel prices have gone up and raise the costs. When fuel goes down the keep the new price. Next time when fuel goes up they cry the fuel prices have gone up and raise prices. Been watching them do this for 30 years it seems. Yet no one has caught on.
A half gallon of ice cream is down to 48 oz. now. 3 pounds of coffee weighs 1lb. 15oz.

More small business people have gone out of business from underpricing and not paying their bills than from charging too much. As others have said don't undersell the value of your quality work. We've forgotten what inflation can be. We are experiencing a bit for a bunch of reasons. It isn't unreasonable to pass on increased costs.

Two Feathers; you sell very nice, and well made products that have been quite affordable!
I would go with the market flow, adapt new business practices if possible, and adjust prices with costs in order to maintain your established profitability rates. One upside of this erratic economic environment that may counter the inflation is that lots of discretionary-supplemental income has and continues to be broadly injected into market which may offset. We have had an unusually long run of relatively low and stabile inflation rates compared to the much shorter historical cycles of recession/inflation where cost/price factoring practices was both necessary and accepted. While this one has been abnormally abrupt, do what’s necessary to stick it out with the expectation that the market will eventually adjust or better yet, correct.

My experience with shippers is they cry fuel prices have gone up and raise the costs. When fuel goes down the keep the new price. Next time when fuel goes up they cry the fuel prices have gone up and raise prices. Been watching them do this for 30 years it seems. Yet no one has caught on.
Have seen the exact same thing myself here in our town for about as long.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy folks:
This is NOT a political discussion, simply a question?
I'm curious to hear from other craftsmen here: Is anyone besides me feeling the crunch of this new inflation "norm?"
My steel prices went up 5% in January. I was told that was Covid related?? But I only raised my prices 2%. NOW this morning, when I ordered steel, I got hit with another 5% increase in shipping costs due the the huge jump in fuel prices!!
I'm just curious whether anyone else is experiencing this? At this rate, I'll have to stop making and selling my knives and wares. I can't keep jumping my prices everytime one of my suppliers does, or no one will buy from me? I sure can't afford to keep paying it out of my own pocket and losing money. I appreciate everyone's support, but my days here may be numbered.
Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers
The shipping price hike may not be due to fuel costs but for driver related items like some companies that are offering over $10,000 signing bonuses. Most every trucking company is doing the same thing, we're having a good year considering that we are 30% short on drivers and have been for well over 18 months and no recovery in sight.

Everthing is getting more expensive and they keep raising taxes to piss away, yet my fixed income is worth less and less. Cant work due to medical issues and everything keeps costing more, decreasing my quality of life. Have not been able to afford to buy much and trying to sell off everything in my house just to keep afloat. Has Ya'll notice stuff keeps getting smaller and costing more ( NOTE" Not me in picture, if I could afford gold chains like that I would be a Congressmen or Drug lord or something like that)
tiny can.jpg

I have a Taxidermy business. I raised my prices last year which I do about every three years. The new catalogs will be coming soon. I’m anticipating a pretty big increase in costs. I will probably have to raise my prices again. I hate to but I’m not going backwards. I’ll know pretty soon. Crazy times!!

Two feathers before I retired I had a sign above my desk. It read:

"Price. Quality. Service. Pick any two."

I have bought from you and never regretted it. You shipped me quality and your service was impeccable. I suspect you have never made as much on an item as your time and craftsmanship is worth. Raise your prices you should not work for less than your work is worth.

Two Feathers, I appreciate that you've asked some questions of us.
I believe that most, if not all of us have some "discretionary" spending ability; we may have to shift things in the budget to feel more comfortable, but the money is likely there to spend on quality, made-in-America-by-craftsmen products.
I will always look admiringly at your work and, one of these days, one of your items is going to make me reach for my checkbook.
For certain.
Price your work as you determine best for you.
It will sell.
God bless you.

I will say one thing more and leave it at that. The following is included in every one of my bush knife listings on eBay:
My philosophy on making blades is to create ones that are for real world use. They may not be the prettiest to look at but they will perform when needed. Buy a "nicer" more expensive blade and never use it for fear of a scratch. Buy a cheaper one made overseas and always wonder if it will hold up. Buy mine and have peace of mind.

Howdy folks:
This is NOT a political discussion, simply a question?
I'm curious to hear from other craftsmen here: Is anyone besides me feeling the crunch of this new inflation "norm?"
My steel prices went up 5% in January. I was told that was Covid related?? But I only raised my prices 2%. NOW this morning, when I ordered steel, I got hit with another 5% increase in shipping costs due the the huge jump in fuel prices!!
I'm just curious whether anyone else is experiencing this? At this rate, I'll have to stop making and selling my knives and wares. I can't keep jumping my prices everytime one of my suppliers does, or no one will buy from me? I sure can't afford to keep paying it out of my own pocket and losing money. I appreciate everyone's support, but my days here may be numbered.
Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers

As your gas/diesel prices rise, so do the gas/diesel prices for those that deliver the goods rise too. They are just passing the raise in price they have to deal with.

Edit: Seeing what's happening around us, I cannot tell you how glad we are to be retired. Yes, our costs have risen but due to the intelligent choices and wise investing we have made, so far, so good. Also, we do not live above our means.

As to OP's question, I've been feeling it in my pocket book. I'm fortunate to work from home mostly, but the prices for BP items and availability is difficult. It reminds me how lucky we are to have luxury hobbies and how quickly they can disappear when times are rough.

PS:

Lot of people making this topic about Politics (Which FYI shouldn't be brought up outside of the specific forum). Political sphere often has little to do with economic up/down turn. Lots of good reasons for increase in prices include:

• Tariffs on Steel,
  • Steel Plants shutting down anticipating a recession/depression,
  • Increase in Steel demand despite the above,
  • Development of new housing at an all time high, new appliances needed in said homes as well,
  • The ENTIRE PLANET shutting down for a global pandemic that has killed well over 5 million people including a few people I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay calm down dude. We are here to talk about our hobby and not our personal beliefs and opinions.

Back