Infected, anyone else?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Not only does the disease affect the lungs, but according to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association it causes autoimmune encephalitis or viral encephalitis in about 36%-40% of patients.
According to multiple studies symptoms can include, loss of smell or taste, nerve pain, seizures, stroke, confusion, cognitive decline, tiny brain hemorrhages , and brain damage.

“We’re seeing a lot of consults of patients presenting in confusional states,” Rohan Arora, a neurologist at the Long Island Jewish Forest Hills hospital told AFP, saying that describes more than 40% of recovered virus patients.
It’s not yet known whether the impairment is long term, and being in the ICU itself can be a disorienting experience as a result of factors including strong medications.

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody reading the news on it is going to be in a state of confusion. Yesterday's headlines said scientists stated once you've had it you can't get it again and are immune, Today's headlines said scientists state you can catch it multiple times and there is no immunity. Who wouldn't be confused?

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody reading the news on it is going to be in a state of confusion. Yesterday's headlines said scientists stated once you've had it you can't get it again and are immune, Today's headlines said scientists state you can catch it multiple times and there is no immunity. Who wouldn't be confused?
Ya. This is a weird one. The usual deal with many viruses is that once you get it, and survive, having effectively fought it off, you develop antibodies that make you immune. Think chicken pox, remember parents sending their kids to play with another kid who had it? They got it, beat it, and can't get it again.
Unfortunately some viruses, like flu, come in different strains, and/or mutate very rapidly, so that we might not be immune to a different strain.
The early assumption was survivors would be immune, but, we are hearing of cases of people getting it again.
The question in my mind is, did they get it again or did they not fully beat it the 1st time?

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly think I had this in December. A close friend had a relative come back from a business trip to Wuhan in October!.....and fell ill, severely!
His family, our friends fell ill for months and we had something very potent too!

But the point I want to make is that my wife and I have had similar symptoms again a couple of times!

Something really smells about all this!

Sorry for members loses recently. My thoughts return immediately to promises made in the Bible.
Best wishes.

B.

Griz44Mag

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We all need to consider that this is a new virus (at least to humans) and there are many-many things that we do not know about it yet. 6 months ago this existed only in a lab as far as humans go. It is so aggressive that it is now spread world wide. The virus is still mutating so there is no real way of knowing just how dangerous this will finally be. Our best hope is that the brains come up with a vaccine or cure like they did with smallpox so we can put this nightmare behind us.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Who wouldn't be confused?
Someone familiar with RNA viruses.

RNA viruses mutate at the maximum error rate compatible with maintaining the integrity of genetic information (i.e., the error threshold) because this would allow them to quickly find the beneficial mutations needed for adaptation. It is an unquestionable fact that RNA virus populations exist as swarms of mutant genotypes.
Beneficial and deleterious mutational effects leads to different outcomes in RNA viruses and DNA organisms, including other viruses.

Novel conditions are created if environments change rapidly over time, as for viruses coping with host defense mechanisms such as the immune system or RNA silencing, or environments are heterogeneous and consist of multiple ecological niches, as for viruses infecting different host species or even replicating into different tissues and organs within a single host.

It's also worth noting that rhinoviruses and coronaviruses of different strains, including the common cold can produce similar symptoms, but they can also exist simultaneously in the same host.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Condolences to those with family/friend losses. This is so much worse since no one can be with them as they pass.

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ya. This is a weird one. The usual deal with many viruses is that once you get it, and survive, having effectively fought it off, you develop antibodies that make you immune. Think chicken pox, remember parents sending their kids to play with another kid who had it? They got it, beat it, and can't get it again.
Unfortunately some viruses, like flu, come in different strains, and/or mutate very rapidly, so that we might not be immune to a different strain.
The early assumption was survivors would be immune, but, we are hearing of cases of people getting it again.
The question in my mind is, did they get it again or did they not fully beat it the 1st time?
We all need to consider that this is a new virus (at least to humans) and there are many-many things that we do not know about it yet. 6 months ago this existed only in a lab as far as humans go. It is so aggressive that it is now spread world wide. The virus is still mutating so there is no real way of knowing just how dangerous this will finally be. Our best hope is that the brains come up with a vaccine or cure like they did with smallpox so we can put this nightmare behind us.
...It's also worth noting that rhinoviruses and coronaviruses of different strains, including the common cold can produce similar symptoms, but they can also exist simultaneously in the same host.
So the first article, that it couldn't reinfect, said pretty much what your last sentence was Brokenknock, that there were remnants of the virus left after the initial infection either dead or not fully recovered from.

The second article hinted but did not say definitively that the virus was mutating, but speculated it had, but only in the early initial infections as there was no evidence it was mutating currently and that there appeared to be two strains, an early less aggressive(contagious) but more potent one, and a later more aggressive but less potent one, the strains being labeled L strain and S strain.

Add to this that the tests being used have been proven to be less than completely reliable and it makes for even more confusion.

Question is, why do responsible mainstream journalists keep publishing erroneous information that is detrimental to people and the effort to fight this thing? I know in talking to my doctor this week, she is quite frustrated with the media and believes it is uneedingly adding to her workload and to her patients stress level and frustration.

renegadehunter

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Very scary stuff.
Prayers of thanks to those who have beat it, prayers of strength to those fighting it, and prayers of health to those trying to avoid it.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Question is, why do responsible mainstream journalists keep publishing erroneous information that is detrimental to people and the effort to fight this thing? I know in talking to my doctor this week, she is quite frustrated with the media and believes it is uneedingly adding to her workload and to her patients stress level and frustration.
Are they ? Or are they simply reporting on a moving target ?

Additionally, (assuming that you are referring to a medical doctor not a psychologist or psychiatrist) if your doctor isn't focused on your healthcare and is preoccupied by the media, I would look for another doctor, and if your doctor is discussing her patients with you, I would definitely look for another doctor.
Of course, she was probably just trying to "drop you a hint" and get you to stop talking about it. One that you probably missed.

Last edited:

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Are they ? Or are they simply reporting on a moving target ?

Additionally, (assuming that you are referring to a medical doctor not a psychologist or psychiatrist) if your doctor isn't focused on your healthcare and is preoccupied by the media, I would look for another doctor, and if your doctor is discussing her patients with you, I would definitely look for another doctor.
I am quite happy with my doctor, and she does a great job.

She is also entitled to her opinion, with which I concur. It has been proven, that a "meeting of the minds" with your physician is one of the most important aspects of that relationship.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
It has been proven, that a "meeting of the minds" with your physician is one of the most important aspects of that relationship.
I'll agree with you on that, because I know what you are trying to say, but I wouldn't have worded it quite that way.

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Of course, she was probably just trying to "drop you a hint" and get you to stop talking about it. One that you probably missed.
Since you edited you post with that bit of personal dig after I quoted you I'll respond to that as well.

This conversation I cite, took place outside of a professional setting and it was she who broached the subject of her concern with the media, so it was not any type of "hint".

I can absolutely see where doctors would be concerned about supposedly "trusted" sources of information giving their patients erroneous information and adding to their stress levels which may negatively impact their health. I am also certain she is not the only one.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I can absolutely see where doctors would be concerned about supposedly "trusted" sources of information giving their patients erroneous information and adding to their stress levels which may negatively impact their health. I am also certain she is not the only one.
Obviously, but to what are you speaking when you say "trusted sources"?
Where's the context in that statement ?

Baxter

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'll agree with you on that, because I know what you are trying to say, but I wouldn't have worded it quite that way.
Just how would you have worded it?
Mainstream "journalists"; to paraphrase a certain, now deceased comic, = liars.
Some viruses never clear, in some people. Chickenpox (Varicella) can find a "home" in the spinal dorsal roots and reappear as Zoster (Herpes Zoster/Varicella Zoster/Zoster Sine Herpete/Shingles).
Some viruses, like Rhino ("nose") virus may mutate from one host to the next.
The neurological events such as loss of smell/smell and taste senses, peripheral neuropathy, Guillain-Barre', seizures and some stroke-like symptoms are/have been widely reported with COVID-19.
People who are obese and who often have accompanying hypertension, diabetes Type 2 (DMT2) and cardiovascular disease are at huge risk of death with COVID-19.
We have been warned about COVID-19 tests, many of the tests are inaccurate and even the "best" tests have false negatives/positives. "Doctor, can you give me a statistical probability on my 'negative' test being negative"?
This COVID-19, among many others, and some bacterial infections, has the ability to shut down the immune system early on and in an overwhelming way. "Dead man walking/foregone conclusion" for some.
Chinese tourists spitting; a widespread tourism industry complaint. In their own homeland, spitting is a punishable civil offense. Filthy and unsanitary habit.

Disclaimer: I am Neither a trusted source, Nor an "expert".

Last edited:

sourdough

40 Cal
Reaction score
On a lighter note, another source for veggie seed in my neck of the woods (PacNW):

Status
Not open for further replies.