• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indians with artillery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchfusil

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well it finally happened, At Fort Ticonderoga this weekend I picked up a little 4 gauge brass grenade launcher tube (the tiny mortar type not a shoulder fired) and now, I'm looking for input on building a carriage for it? Any suggestions?

Tristyn J Cramer
A.K.A Red Leggins
Guerre Abenakis

Any suggestions?

Here are some different carriages for mortars...

petersburg84_4.jpg

15cmortar.jpg

15th century mortar on mobile carriage.

mz6.jpg

A brass mortar on a wooden carriage. (19th c.)

Or a more permanent base?

This is the powder tester on Gunpowder Mill Farm Dartmoor, they still fire it once a year.

The mortar was rescued at the docks in 1945. Apparently the US Army were taking it home as a souvenir :crackup: :crackup:

tester.jpg

Well, you can't blame the boys for trying. :crackup:
There's a few fellas in here that would probably consider it to be a nice token. :crackup:

I know that shooting miniature cannons is a sport, but shooting at a target with a miniature MORTAR must be a real challenge!

Robert

Here is a grenade mortar I built. The bed is based on coehorn mortar bed drawings in Muller's Treatise on Artillery. Bore size is 2.25 inch

6177d00f.jpg

threepdr

Who is selling these grenade mortar barrels? And you guys know of a good source book on them?

Back