• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Percussion Nipple Thread Size(s)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlidePicker

40 Cal
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought an Indian made double barrel percussion shotgun. I got it directly from an Indian seller. While I had it apart, the nipples went missing. No problem, I thought. TOTW has nipples in 9/32-26 BSF said to be good for Indian Jodhpur shotguns, so I ordered a pair. They won't screw in. The nipple ends seem to match the hole size pretty well, but the threads are no go. A 1/4-28 nipple from my ASM Walker will slide right into the hole, lightly scraping the threads. I don't have thread checkers for female threads, or a variety of screws to try. Any suggestions for nipple sizes close to 9/32-26 that I might try? This seller mostly sold replica military muskets and pistols. I'd expect they likely share nipple threads, if anyone has an Indian percussion gun they'd measure the nipple thread on. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Here is my India Shotgun…Single Barrel
4481D564-0F1D-4E3D-84B7-2EC9ABF8DEED.jpeg

Here is the spare nipple from Track of the Wolf…that fits it
0D6E7C42-28E1-4EFF-BADA-44D11BF12775.jpeg

It’s an 11gauge..running about 6 1/2 lbs.

@wganz has been researching the gun, it seems to be based on an English Sporting Rifle…I have to say that @wganz is a pretty sharp guy, very impressive. I spent about 6 to 8 months trying to find more information on that gun…he did it in a couple days, and might have found a possible importer.

Very nice…wonderful person.

Several years ago I bought an Indian made double barrel percussion shotgun. I got it directly from an Indian seller. While I had it apart, the nipples went missing. No problem, I thought. TOTW has nipples in 9/32-26 BSF said to be good for Indian Jodhpur shotguns, so I ordered a pair. They won't screw in. The nipple ends seem to match the hole size pretty well, but the threads are no go. A 1/4-28 nipple from my ASM Walker will slide right into the hole, lightly scraping the threads. I don't have thread checkers for female threads, or a variety of screws to try. Any suggestions for nipple sizes close to 9/32-26 that I might try? This seller mostly sold replica military muskets and pistols. I'd expect they likely share nipple threads, if anyone has an Indian percussion gun they'd measure the nipple thread on. Thanks in advance!
I’ve seen a few Indian manufactured guns and ‘standardization’ doesn’t seem to have been discovered yet. Best bet is to measure the threads on the OEM nipple or in the bolster/ drum. Anything else is a guess.

It’s an 11gauge..running about 6 1/2 lbs.

@wganz has been researching the gun, it seems to be based on an English Sporting Rifle…I have to say that @wganz is a pretty sharp guy, very impressive. I spent about 6 to 8 months trying to find more information on that gun…he did it in a couple days, and might have found a possible importer.

Very nice…wonderful person.

I will try to live up to those accolades. More that was part of the things I had to do in a prior line of work.
As soon as the importer gets back to me, I'll post updates to keep the forum apprised.

I think what I have is a "REPLICA DOUBLE BARREL PERCUSSION FOWLER" from Rajasthan Armoury. They are unlikely to give a helpful answer to my inquiry, but they have lots of nice pictures, and I believe some videos, of skilled craftsmen hand building their old timey replicas in incredibly primitive "factory" settings. My hat's off to them for accomplishing what they do with what they have. But yeah, I think they may have nipple threads unlike any others. They probably make their own taps and dies. What I plan to do next is find something suitable that can take a fair amount of torque, softer than steel and malleable, to screw into the holes and back out to check the threads. I have a roll of fat solder wire that might work. If I hunt around my packrat nest long enough, I'm pretty sure to find something.

Here is my India Shotgun…Single Barrel
View attachment 162250

Here is the spare nipple from Track of the Wolf…that fits it
View attachment 162252
You're right. I took a breech plug to Lowe's. A 1/4-28 screwed right in, but was pretty loose. I think I'm going to try the .020" oversize that works for you. They also have a .025" over. I don't know if that would be pushing my luck. TOW has oversizes in .005 increments from .005" to .025". The nipples for my ASM Walker are 1/4-28, but they slide right through scraping the threads. Maybe they're undersized. Maybe I should go whole hog with .025" over.

I expected they would be. Whitworth is the coarser thread standard, this is 9/32-26 BSF (which I think means British Standard, Fine, if I'm wrong please educate me.) They almost work, but won't turn into the threads. A 1/4-28 cap screw turned right into the threads and engaged them, but was pretty loose.

Latest posts

Back