• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian made muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surrealpillow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
would anyone care to share their opinions/experience concerning the indian made muskets? viz. loyalistarms, mvtc, Etc. as i'm about to buy my first m/l (a matchlock) and am questioning the safety and quality. or perhaps there is another manufactuer/supplier of these sorts within the affordable range (about $1,000 or less..) someone might recommend? I appreciate the info; i'm new to this forum and black-powder in general.

I find the quality of India made weapons to very suspect. The locks need to be heavily reworked, the stocks have too much wood making the guns very heavy. There have been reports of barrels exploding with blank charges. I don't own one and wouldn't have one. Others on this forum have had good luck with theirs and swear by them.

I think with a weapon from India you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Many Klatch

I have one of the India made Long Land Pattern muskets from Loyalist Arms. It is heavy and there is a bit too much wood in the stock. Mine has been a good sparking gun albeit with a heavy trigger pull, but its not a target gun by any means.

Being too heavy or clunky is fairly consistent for some of the early matchlocks. Quality seems to vary from lot to lot. Loyalist and Middlesex Village trading try to maintain a quality and affordable product. Be sure to fully understand any return policy before you buy a gun from anyone.

You will have a lot learn about the making of slow match for the lock and all the safety concerns loading with that smoldering match near a charge of powder. I don't think a matchlock would be one of my first choices unless you have a good mentor to guide you.

I'm glad they're out there since they build a lot of guns that would otherwise only be available as either antiques or very expensive custom builds, but I think that if you order one you should be willing to either accept a gun with poor fit and finish or look on it as a project that will take some work to put into proper order.

I have a MVTC Bess and it's reasonably nice now, but I had to rework the trigger, refinish the wood, tweak the barrel until it shot straight, retemper the ramrod, dull the brightly polished metal and go beyond the recommended procedure to make the bayonet fit properly. Now none of this stuff cost me anything but time, but if I were to order another in the future, I'd take all this into account.

One thing I still need to do is replace the sling that came with it. It's made of paper thin leather that easily stretches and just looks cheap and tacky.

There are two major flaws remaining on the musket that I don't intend on correcting. The wood on the fore end of the stock is still too bulky. In order to correct that I'd need to change the position of too many pins and that would require me to fill in the holes. I guess I'll just live with a little too much wood. IMO, too much wood beats too much wood putty. Second, they put the forward sling bracket in the wrong location. It should be located centered on the first brass ramrod guide so that when you return the ramrod to position it doesn't get caught on the sling bracket. They put it about 6" too far towards the rear of the gun. If I repair it now, I'll have more holes in the stock to fill in.

I think they did it that way because the slings they had were too short. The India pattern muskets used a shorter barrel and a shorter sling.

One other thing. Once I got the cruddy finish off the stock, the wood turned out looking surprisingly good with a nice attractive grain.

"Junk"
That was simple and plain enough, Please to be not talking of bad things happening when the powder and ball are made to come from inside the barrel.

Capt. Jas. said:
A step up from the zinc, pot-metal replicas.

This is probably the nicest thing I've heard said about them. I don't agree though--the zinc and pot metal junkers are a lot nicer in terms of fit and finish! :rotf:

yes, safety is my main concern.
I'd rather not have a barrel burst in my face.
I came upon the website of John Buck. anyone know anything about him? seems like he's making some pretty nice pieces but there's not a whole lot of info on his site and doesn't look like its been updated in a while. Also i've been considering the matchlock offered by gggodwin. I still have to call them to see if i can get some more info/pictures of it.
I thank everyone for their input.

Hello All

I tend to agree with Mr.Fudd,if you do some serious re-working you can end up with a decent
firearm example. :wink:

Cheers,Rob

Hello All

I think the repops sold by GGodwin are also of Indian origin!

Rob

Please support the USA. :v There are any number of fine builders in this country! Please support them and you will not be sorry!
Dusty :wink:

BeatingDeadHorse.gif

John Buck has a very good reputation. It would be worth giving him a call.

It seems worthy of note that even those who have a positive view of the Indian guns always go on to say that they needed to refit and refinish them and that they were still too heavy and thick through the forearm. Doesn't make me want to rush out and order one.

i only own one indian made ML, and i bought it more than thirty years ago. it's not safe to shoot, and i only keep it around because (a) i would not in good conscience have it in the hands of someone who might end up trying to fire the thing and (b) i really like the wood, so it does make an interesting wall hanging.

i would recommend that you deal with an american made company. Jim Chambers makes really good stuff and is very well priced for what you get.

just one guy's opinion

I have been tempted to buy several things by price alone. I usually find that I wind up buying the more costly/better item anyway, thereby spending more money than I would have if I had bought quality in the first place.

Another thing to consider, is if you decide to sell your piece later on,you will get a better return on your investment with a quality piece. It may even increase in value.

I have a 1717 musket and a Murdoch pistol from middlesex,I have double charged (2 balls too,tied to a tree)fired the murdoch quite a few times with no ill effect.
The Italian imports are nice but they have their problems too.Custom made are the way to go if you have the bucks of which I do not.
If your safe and sane in your loading practice I think they are OK for the money,Maybe just look at it as a in the white kit when you buy one.

"I think the repops sold by GGodwin are also of Indian origin!"

The Bess is Italian, I don't know who builds the longrifles or the matchlock.For a grand I would not think the matchlock would be from Indiabut they might.

One thing to keep in mind about these Indian muskets is that they do not hold their value. That's bad if you want to sell the gun you bought new, but good if you are in the market for one. I have seen Indian Bess's going used for $300 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back