• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Made Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G
Some of the India made guns are tolerable and some are not. Some are made with out the touch hole drilled to skirt the firearms laws. Some have wood that just doesn't seem right for the firearm.

I have two guns from Loyalist Arms. They were made in India and while I sometimes point out that the Long Land Pattern King's Musket is too heavy, it is a well built musket and performs well for reenactment and shooting of musket ball and occasionally shot. The second is an officer's grade musket being much lighter than the Long Land Pattern is a joy to carry and fun to shoot.

The India made guns should have personal inspection before purchase. The inspection should determine that the parts are sound and important features such as touch holes are drilled in the proper location, the frizzen is hardened and provides a shower of sparks, the bayonet fits to the barrel, and the bore is reasonably straight with no internal bulges.
Grenadier,
I bought my FdC from Veteran Arms and although it seems I paid a bit more for it, I haven't noticed any issues... Yet.
I plan on replacing the ram rod with a taper of my own making as the o e it came with is a bit whippy.
Have you done any trigger work?
Mind's a bit heavy and scratchy...

Veteran's is another distributor who does some inspection work before shipping out a firearm.

These single triggers will benefit from some polishing of the top of the lever. More good will come from polishing the lock internal surfaces. Lightening a single trigger involves moving the pin closer to the sear lever.

Veteran's is another distributor who does some inspection work before shipping out a firearm.

These single triggers will benefit from some polishing of the top of the lever. More good will come from polishing the lock internal surfaces. Lightening a single trigger involves moving the pin closer to the sear lever.
Time buy a main spring vise I guess and take files and emery cloth to anything with a burr

Time buy a main spring vise I guess and take files and emery cloth to anything with a burr

I have a vise made for removing mainsprings, however, there are people who use small C-clamps, and these do the same thing without spending as much money (ca $20/25 for a mainspring vise, vs under $5 for a small C-clamp). There are other devices that can work also, such as needle-nose vise grips.

I have a vise made for removing mainsprings, however, there are people who use small C-clamps, and these do the same thing without spending as much money (ca $20/25 for a mainspring vise, vs under $5 for a small C-clamp). There are other devices that can work also, such as needle-nose vise grips.
Do you find that any other available parts match up to them?
For instance would a lock from a better quality source fit if its an FdC lock?

While a c-clamp will work as a spring vise, it is better to have the long arm of the special form spring vise to support the long arm of the spring. Yes, I know that there are period spring clamps without the long arms that resemble c-clamps. These clamp have a short reach to prevent twisting off. I also like to use machinist clamps to compress flat springs.

The springs are hardened and tempered. A file may take some metal off, but unless you have too strong a spring, all you will need will be the emery cloth or some fine hones.

Available parts will be difficult to find. Best to get in touch with the distributor. Veteran Arms may be better able to find parts than other suppliers. For the most part, these guns are made to pattern. That means they look alike and generally are close to the same dimension. Parts may be close, but will often require fitting to work properly.

Last edited:
Do you find that any other available parts match up to them?
For instance would a lock from a better quality source fit if its an FdC lock?
I've wondered this too.
The springs are all heavy. I've polished and stoned all the parts that rub against each other. That knocked down on the grinding during operation.

Available parts will be difficult to find. Best to get in touch with the distributor. Veteran Arms may be better able to find parts than other suppliers. For the most part, these guns are made to pattern. That means they look alike and generally are close to the same dimension. Parts may be close, but will often require fitting to work properly.

Distributors? I found where they are made, and wonder of wonders, they have a website and sell complete items, and....PARTS!

http://rajasthanarmoury.com/accessories1.htm

While a c-clamp will work as a spring vise, it is better to have the long arm of the special form spring vise to support the long arm of the spring. Yes, I know that there are period spring clamps without the long arms that resemble c-clamps. These clamp have a short reach to prevent twisting off. I also like to use machinist clamps to compress flat springs.

The springs are hardened and tempered. A file may take some metal off, but unless you have too strong a spring, all you will need will be the emery cloth or some fine hones.

Grenadier,
I suspected that.
What spares should I get if they are available?
Speaking to the original topic, I ran my fingers along my barrel and there are many little inconsistencies along the surface so I wouldn't think that the standards are any where near the same as other products out there.

There are many threads on reducing the spring tension in a main spring or a feather (frizzen) spring. The important part of the process is to always reduce the width along the side of the spring and in the direction of the arm. Only take off a little at a time. Try often. Get a spare part as often having the back up part keeps reminding us of how easy it is to break a part and that helps me at least to take it easy on lock modifications.

Just be very careful if you don’t use a spring vice. It’s easy to break a spring with vice clamps or c clamps real quick

Does this mean that India guns are considered tolerable weapons!?

Indian made muskets can be shot.... they're essentially just a much lower cost and value musket. The barrels should be inspected closely, especially at the breech, unseize the breech plug and check the vent to see how it lines up with the breech plug.

Indian made muskets can be shot.... they're essentially just a much lower cost and value musket. The barrels should be inspected closely, especially at the breech, unseize the breech plug and check the vent to see how it lines up with the breech plug.
Flinter,
Thanks for the heads up!
Mine shoots pretty well so far but I need more time behind it.
I don't think my skill level is at the point where I would pull the breech plug w/o supervision and since I don't have a knowledgeable person available yet I will hold off on that until then.

The Sicilian

Flinter,
Thanks for the heads up!
Mine shoots pretty well so far but I need more time behind it.
I don't think my skill level is at the point where I would pull the breech plug w/o supervision and since I don't have a knowledgeable person available yet I will hold off on that until then.

The Sicilian

You'd just turn it to the left, use anti seize grease so it doesn't seize up. if you've already shot it then its likely fine. I remove breeches on mine once every year before I shoot just to check the breech.

FYI, I use a lighted arrow noch replacement that I drop down any barrel I look at a gun show. If it was a bulge, it would have a dark ring there at the bulge.
These are the particular ones I use cause they are easy to activate and are so small, they are like less than .2" in diameter.
Yes, I have seen barrels with bulges at gun shows before.

FYI, I use a lighted arrow noch replacement that I drop down any barrel I look at a gun show. If it was a bulge, it would have a dark ring there at the bulge.
These are the particular ones I use cause they are easy to activate and are so small, they are like less than .2" in diameter.
Yes, I have seen barrels with bulges at gun shows before.
Where do find one of those?
Amazon?

Back