Quantcast

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

By Frances Beck.
My thanks to David Swampfox for this list of goods.

In Public Record Office, C.). 5.61, London, England. Enclosed in a letter of Amherst to William Pitt, February 27,1761
p.334-335 Sir William Johnson Papers

A list of goods intended for Northern tribes.

A List of Such merchandise as is Usually sold to the Indians — the prices differ with the times —

Deep blue Strowds with a narrow white cord
Plain Blue Strowds
Black Strowds
Scarlet or Aurora Do
Garterings and bindings for strouds of different sorts
French blankets, or twilled lettered white blankets
Purple & white french Rateen for Stockings
English white blanketsof 20-24-&30 to a piece with black or Deep blue stripes
Wals cottons, or Pennistons for stockings
Green Knapt Frize for Do: & also for Blankets
Red, Yellow, Green & blue halfthicks
Flowered serges, lively colours or gay
Calicoes, Claimancoes for gowns &ca
Ribbons of all sorts, especially deep red, yellow, blue & Green
Linnens & ready made Shirts of all Sizes
Light coloured & white threads
Needles sorted
Awl blades for making Indian Shoes
Scalping and Clasp knives
Vermillion and Verdigrease
Jews Harps small & large
Stone & plain rings
Hawks bells different Sizes
Small white Beeds & other coloured Do Small
Horn Combs different sizes
Brass wire different Sizes
Scizars & Razors
Looking Glasses….Different sorts
Brass & tinn Kettles large and Small
Women & Childrens Worsted & yarn hose with clocks
Roll of paper Tobacco. Also Leaf Do
Pipes long & Short
Red Leather Trunks in Nests
Black & white wampum in great demand
Silver works or toys, which the Indians wear of different kinds
Tomahawks or small hatchets well made
Also pipe Hatchets
Tobacco & Snuff boxes
Pewter Spoons
Gilt Gill Cups and half gill Do
Good Gunpowder, large grain
Flints
Small bar lead of 1-1/2 lb each
Goose, Duck & Pidgeon Shot
Light & Good Fowling pieces
Beaver & Fox Traps
Iron Spears or giggs for striking fish with & Beaver with
New England, or York rum in rumlets of Caggs of 12.10.8.9 & 4 Gallns each
Note the mention of tin kettles large and small. More on this later.
Keith.
https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2017/02/indian-goods-list.html

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
"Wals cottons, or Pennistons for stockings"

Is this cotton cloth or cotton stockings?

Gus

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
"Silver works or toys, which the Indians wear of different kinds"

Found this very interesting as well. Have already run across the 18th century term "toys" for brass buckles and other small brass items and Birmingham was especially noted for the "Brass Toy Trade." I did not know the term was also used for silver items, though.

Gus

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
"Silver works or toys, which the Indians wear of different kinds"

Found this very interesting as well. Have already run across the 18th century term "toys" for brass buckles and other small brass items and Birmingham was especially noted for the "Brass Toy Trade." I did not know the term was also used for silver items, though.

Gus
As far as I am aware Gus, the term toys was used to mean small items for adults.
Keith.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would say it is probably cotton cloth for making stockings Gus.
Keith.
OK, going to show my ignorance here...…:)

The only stockings I have ever made were Highland Hose and those made from diced wool. Did they make stockings from cotton cloth with a seam up the back?

Gus

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, going to show my ignorance here...…:)

The only stockings I have ever made were Highland Hose and those made from diced wool. Did they make stockings from cotton cloth with a seam up the back?

Gus
I am sure that I saw an image of a pair of original cotton cloth stockings somewhere, but I can't find in in my collection!!! The only info I found was this:
Cotton stockings were one of the main components of COTTON HOSE. Although they started to appear in the shops in the seventeenth century, it was in the eighteenth century that they became widely popular. The account book of George Thomson, which Barbara Johnson used as the basis of her album, shows that in the 1740s cotton stockings had not yet become really fashionable. Thomson only made a single purchase, on 15 June 1742, apparently preferring SILK or WORSTED. Indications of the change in fashion come with the spate of advertisements in NEWSPAPERS during the last decade or two of the eighteenth century advertising the repair of cotton stockings.

Found described as WHITE

See also COTTON HOSE.
Sources: Acts, Inventories (mid-period), Inventories (late), Newspapers, Tradecards.
References: Johnson (1987), 179

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/traded-goods-dictionary/1550-1820/cotton-cotton-yarn#h2-0015

Need more info on this.
Keith.

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What is an Aurora Strowd [sic]?
One document links gift ribbon and the use of ribbon in clothing decoration. In a Detroit trader's invoice for 1773-1774, "fine Aurora leggins with Ribbon" and "fine Aurora Stroud [a wool blanket] ornamented with Ribbon" were each supplied twice to the British Indian Department for use as gifts to Indians (Sterling Papers 1770-1797).

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=osu1487265143148013&disposition=inline

Keith.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
What is a "do"? As in, "Green Knapt Frize for Do: & also for Blankets"
Ditto - in other words, the same thing as the thing above. Usually. In this specific example, it is used in an odd way as Green Knapt Frieze seems to have little to do with stockings...though, as a woollen cloth, maybe it was made into stockings?

Last edited:

Ranger Boyd

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am sure that I saw an image of a pair of original cotton cloth stockings somewhere, but I can't find in in my collection!!! The only info I found was this:
Cotton stockings were one of the main components of COTTON HOSE. Although they started to appear in the shops in the seventeenth century, it was in the eighteenth century that they became widely popular. The account book of George Thomson, which Barbara Johnson used as the basis of her album, shows that in the 1740s cotton stockings had not yet become really fashionable. Thomson only made a single purchase, on 15 June 1742, apparently preferring SILK or WORSTED. Indications of the change in fashion come with the spate of advertisements in NEWSPAPERS during the last decade or two of the eighteenth century advertising the repair of cotton stockings.

Found described as WHITE

See also COTTON HOSE.
Sources: Acts, Inventories (mid-period), Inventories (late), Newspapers, Tradecards.
References: Johnson (1987), 179

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/traded-goods-dictionary/1550-1820/cotton-cotton-yarn#h2-0015

Need more info on this.
Keith.
Cotton was pretty rare (and expensive) stuff here in the colonies. In my neck of the woods (Pennsylvania's Cumberland Valley), cotton doesn't start appearing in probate inventories until after the Revolution in any significant quantity, and then only the upper socio-economic tier (ref: Hersch & Hersch, Cloth and Costume 1750-1800 Cumberland County, PA).

As I recall, India was the primary source for the British Empire until later when Egypt took over. And, of course, VERY little cotton was produced in North America until the 19th c.

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What is an Aurora Strowd [sic]?
Aurora cloth.

Mention should be made as to how the English•Company was engaged in competition with local traders to procure a variety of cheap cloth popularly known as aurora at local markets in order to clothe its swelling army. -It now contained the Indian contingent, better known as the 'black troops', and its numbers were increasing fast. Previously this cheap cloth or 'lacca' was imported from Europe but after 1772, wrote Alexander Higginson, by the directives of the Court, local 207 stuff was used. At the same time the English merchants competed with the indigenous traders for procuring cheap cloths at Bareli markets to supply the American ship captains looking 208 for cheap assortments at Calcutta port.

http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/154942/9/09_chapter 5.pdf

One document links gift ribbon and the use of ribbon in clothing decoration. In a Detroit trader's invoice for 1773-1774, "fine Aurora leggins with Ribbon" and "fine Aurora Stroud [a wool blanket] ornamented with Ribbon" were each supplied twice to the British Indian Department for use as gifts to Indians (Sterling Papers 1770-1797).

file:///C:/Users/Admin/Documents/18th%20century%20FABRIC%20NAMES/Aurora%20Stroud%20Cloth.pdf

Broad Cloth Aurora in Pieee

Broad Cloth Aurora by IJotaiio 3 yds.

“Aurora cloth at 109 rupees per

piece, ordinary green at 75 rupees per piece.”

April 2*>ib, 1717. Broad Cloth Aurora No. 481 of the Paroell

received per the Ship Grantham Ca})tain Thomas Collett Commander

Invoiced in the Invoice from London dated 15th February 1715 for

4 Cloaths, vi?> —

1 Aurora Ihoad Cloth.

https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet...arly-Annals-Of-The-English-In-Bengal_djvu.txt

after Swift’s flying “island” in Gulliver’s Travels, which was also the inspiration for the extraordinary “Aurora” cloth, possibly Venetian made (inv. 121 fi g.7);

https://www.cini.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pagine-singole-INGL-72DPI1.pdf

The cloth ordered in 1802 (Historical Records of the Viceroy's Body Guard by Hodson)gives a slight idea of the coat: subadars and jemadars were to have the best superfinebroad or town cloth, havildars fine scarlet cloth, and other ranks Aurora cloth. Trumpetersand farriers had jackets the colour of the facings and faced with Aurora.

https://vdocuments.site/indian-army...sh-from-the-18th-century-to-1947-leonard.html

FORT WILLIAM, JULY 1704.

Here follows a list of things given to the Vaequeel to be given by

him as presents to the Dnan’s nnder-offieers ” : —

“Broad cloth, 10 yds (fine).

Aurora do. 10 do.

Pieces of broadcloth, Aurora, £7-7-6

https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet...rly-History-Of-The-English-In-Bengal_djvu.txt

Broad Cloth Aurora in Pieces 13

Broad Cloth Aurora by Eetaile 3 yds. 7 in.

Aurora cloth at 1 09 rupees per

piece, ordinary green at 75 rupees per piece."

1 Ps- Aurora Broad Cloth.

https://archive.org/stream/earlyannalsofeng02wilsuoft/earlyannalsofeng02wilsuoft_djvu.txt
Keith.

Latest posts