• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE India Made Reproduction 1842 "Palmetto" Springfield Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrydull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
SOLD

The Palmetto was a South Carolina copy of the Springfield 1842 Smoothbore Musket. It was distinct with it's brass furniture. This one was purchased from Veteran Arms out of GA. I have only shot about 100 rounds thru it but is not an approved arm by the N-SSA so I can't use it in competitions.

Price $450, shipped & handling to CONUS is included.

The good, it's fit & finish are excellent and it's dimensions are spot on. The bad, the lock plate is not stamped and the trigger pull can't be measured with my Wheeler spring gauge.

I'll send the Veteran Arms user manual to the purchaser. The specs in the manual are as follows:

Palmetto Musket
Calber: 0.68
Recommended ball: .620-.648
Charge: 60 to 90 grains of 2F

Patches or paper cartridges are not mentioned.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

• IMG_9869.jpg
    IMG_9869.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9870.jpg
    IMG_9870.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9873.jpg
    IMG_9873.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Palmetto was a South Carolina copy of the Springfield 1842 Smoothbore Musket. It was distinct with it's brass furniture. This one was purchased from Veteran Arms out of GA. I have only shot about 100 rounds thru it but is not an approved arm by the N-SSA so I can't use it in competitions. Price $500 buyer pays actual shipped & handling to CONUS.

The good, it's fit & finish are excellent and it's dimensions are spot on. The bad, the lock plate is not stamped and the trigger pull can't be measured with my Wheeler spring gauge.

I'll send the Veteran Arms user manual to the purchaser. The specs in the manual are as follows:

Palmetto Musket
Calber: 0.68
Recommended ball: .620-.648
Charge: 60 to 90 grains of 2F

Patches or paper cartridges are not mentioned.

Please feel free to ask questions.
Dear Sir,
I am interested in discussing your musket. Would you email me directly at:
[email protected]

Thank you,
David

Proverbial dumb question.
How close is it to being a clone of the original were an original lock fit?
Or is that a Veteran Arms question?
Very unlikely an original lock will fit. These indian guns are all hand fit. Parts can rarely be swapped from a different gun from the same importer, let alone from an original.

Very unlikely an original lock will fit. These indian guns are all hand fit. Parts can rarely be swapped from a different gun from the same importer, let alone from an original.
Yeah … I’d have agree.

However, using the 10 foot rule, it is spot on. All the major dimensions match and the fit & finish is excellent.

Big disappointment for me was there we no impressions on the lock plate.

I have an unboxing video on YouTube. Just search Palmetto Musket.

Yeah … I’d have agree.

However, using the 10 foot rule, it is spot on. All the major dimensions match and the fit & finish is excellent.

A lot of the Indian guns I've seen are great for props/wall displays/blank-fire demonstrations and certainly look the part from a reasonable distance. It's just a quirk of the fact that these guns are usually hand-made by Indian craftsman one at a time rather than mass-produced according to a commercial blueprint like a modern Italian or Spanish muzzleloader.

Yeah … I’d have agree.

If I make a silhouette of my 1842 Springfield lock on thin card board & mailed to you, would you mind putting it on the lock for a pix to see what it would take to get an original lock to fit?

You are unarguably quite correct. I got a Loyalist Arms 1840 due to be ready for shipping in 3 weeks that was ordered when I found N-SSA. I know now that:

it serves a dual purpose for those interested in portraying Confederate forces

does not mean N-SSA match approved. So, it will be relegated to such as the Canadian Cabin Fever postal shoot, reloading drills, hunting, or the not so strict reenactments as the "Battle of Mansfield" not too far from the farm in Louisiana.

It is an expensive lesson on exuberance of a new hobby.

What my interest is in this one is to see how far I could get with adding an original lock and get it to function easier with a decent trigger pull.

You are unarguably quite correct. I got a Loyalist Arms 1840 due to be ready for shipping in 3 weeks that was ordered when I found N-SSA. I know now that:

does not mean N-SSA match approved. So, it will be relegated to such as the Canadian Cabin Fever postal shoot, reloading drills, hunting, or the not so strict reenactments as the "Battle of Mansfield" not too far from the farm in Louisiana.

It is an expensive lesson on exuberance of a new hobby.

What my interest is in this one is to see how far I could get with adding an original lock and get it to function easier with a decent trigger pull.
If you don’t mind some advice …

Forget this idea. Look for a Potsdam Musket or an M1816 Conversion. These are both excellent smoothbore muskets that can be readily found.

Perdersoli makes an awesome M1816 conversion reproduction.

These are all approved for use by the N-SSA. However, if you are good at it the Traditions 1842 Kit is an option. But, It’s a real challenge.

If you don’t mind some advice … current 1842 project comment :)

Forget this idea. Look for a Potsdam Musket or an M1816 Conversion. These are both excellent smoothbore muskets that can be readily found. got an 1842 project already underway, see daily comment linked above :cool:

Perdersoli makes an awesome M1816 conversion reproduction. undeniably, but want something with original metal in it.

These are all approved for use by the N-SSA. However, if you are good at it the Traditions 1842 Kit is an option. But, It’s a real challenge. Looked at this option already, and rather not deal with all those problems. The comments on the N-SSA forum indicated that it was worse than dealing with an Indian musket. And Indian muskets are flat out not allowed in N-SSA.

Am collecting original 1842 parts to have an N-SSA competition musket built that has all original metal parts except for the 3 barrel band springs and a nice walnut stock from Dunlap Woodcraft. May have to get the barrel relined by Bob Hoyt but that isn't an insurmountable problem. Have talked with David at Lodgewood Mfg. about having him assembly this collection of parts into a competition musket. David is quite accomplished at building muzzle loaders and given my known limitations, I'd rather work some extra days and just pay to have David do it right. When talking with him, emphasized that I want 'match competition grade' and not 'museum grade'. He laughed and said he understood. Was debating with myself on getting a better 1842 lock that has a visible date on the lock plate than the one I present have to better complement the stock. The date on the current one is not visible due to surface corrosion but is fully functional.

Was wondering what my options with this 'not so nice' Springfield lock were if I did upgrade to a lock with a readable date on it. While collecting these parts, ended up with extra parts either by winning multiple bids or finding a much better part later. These are an extra trigger guard assembly with trigger, butt plate with screws, and side plate with screws. Already found out that these parts will NOT fit on either the Pedersoli or Traditions/Armi Sports. And given that the Indian smooth bores are a 99% kit gun regardless, and that everything is already hand fitted on it; why not just try to fit these parts to gild the proverbial sow's ear?

Latest posts

Back