• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Increasing Hammer Spring Strength

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is a good way to increase the poundage of a factory Uberti ‘58 Rem spring? I feel mine is too weak, sometimes I need to hit the cap again even after seating with a dowel and trying all sorts of caps. It’s just super easy to cock and too weak.

Thoughts?

Look at bottom front of grip. There is a screw. Run it in till snug.

Well that's about all you can do. Perhaps you just need new spring. I take it it cocks without binding.

Okay so the screw was quite stiff but did go into the frame a couple threads once I found the right size (small) driver needed.

But then the spring popped up above the roller on the hammer, locking up the works. The spring isn’t long enough to screw the tension screw in very far. I took the spring out and made a shim from an old roll pin in my gun cleaning box and inserted it under the hammer spring between it and the frame. This pushed the spring up and put a bit of a “pre load” on it. The tension screw could now be turned in a few more turns, boosting the hammer toss energy strength levels.

Success.

I have some Tresos coming as I hear they’re great. Hoping these solve the issues. It’s probably 95% as is but sometimes the caps need a second whack and it’s annoying. Don’t want it to happen in the heat of combat or facing down Big Grizz.

And some problem could be short nipples. If it has been dry fired a lot the nipples could be peened over. I now use TOW stainless nipples on my Colts and no problems anymore. The ASP '58's i have not had any problems with so far, KNOCK ON WOOD.
DL

I don't know you personally, bit I'll wager that the best [black powder-related] decision you've ever made is that of ordering a set of Treso/Ampco nipples. They're tough, precision-made to fit #11 caps, and long-lasting. You'll be really happy with them!
I use Ampco nipples in many of my revolvers, in a couple of rifles, and I have the rifle my Dad built in 1970. He installed an Ampco Nipple & it's still solid and in use today.

I don't know you personally, bit I'll wager that the best [black powder-related] decision you've ever made is that of ordering a set of Treso/Ampco nipples. They're tough, precision-made to fit #11 caps, and long-lasting. You'll be really happy with them!
I use Ampco nipples in many of my revolvers, in a couple of rifles, and I have the rifle my Dad built in 1970. He installed an Ampco Nipple & it's still solid and in use today.

Took 36 shots the other day with the new Trescos and spring adjustment.

0 misfires or light strikes.

AWESOME nips. They hold Remy 10s perfect, snug, but bottom out for sure ignition.

Cool. That is what a person desires ... nipple diameter just so ... you want the bottom of the cap resting on the nipple face and yet not be so sloppy so caps do not stay on the nipples.

It is a balancing act!

Cool. That is what a person desires ... nipple diameter just so ... you want the bottom of the cap resting on the nipple face and yet not be so sloppy so caps do not stay on the nipples.

It is a balancing act!
Well folks lightening the main spring to get a better trigger is a mistake in my opinion. The trigger spring tension and sear engagement are the place to address this issue. You want the hammer to impact the cap decisively every time as consistency of ignition will gain you more accuracy than will a light trigger.
After the nipples are fouled following the first cylinder full or two is when the heavier hammer spring will begin to pay dividends with more consistent ignition.
Trigger break must be crisp and clean and even at 3 lbs such a trigger can be very accurate.
Another aid I have found useful both for pistol or rifle is an over travel stop which arrests the rear trigger movement just after the break.

Back