• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Increased Prices of Replica Percussion Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just shows that blackpowder shooters were skinflints , cheapskates and curmudgeons in 2010, like they were in 1990, and probably were in 1965 " one of them Spaghetti western spaghetti blaster cap revolvers is how much?? $18?? You can Keep it!!"
Pikers Extraordinaire. Many would snatch the pennies from a dead man's eyes...not because they don't have it, they are just too cheap to part with it....

The prices of BP revolvers have been climbing steadily. I have seen some crazy prices on auctions. People have to watch the buyers fees, tax, and shipping when bidding. One dealer said they saw two price increases this past year on import black powder weapons. Parts are mostly crazy prices on line.

:oops:🙃 Just see this thread is over 12 years old after noticing Bad Karma's post. Thought skimming through the comments that those prices seem a bit low for 2023. Paid $71 for my first capper back in 1972. Powder was around $2.50 a pound, caps $1.00 per tin (100). 😁
I agree, I was shooting BP before the internet ever took off and could buy most pistols and rifles for a hundred dollars or less all day long! Knew a man and his wife in Southmaid Texas that ran a BP shooters shop called the Powder Horn, very nice people had about anything or could order anything you could want plus she made custom leather goods. Sure do miss all of that, they could really do well in todays market. Nothing but greed now and the same gun you could buy then for a hundred dollar bill cost a stupid price now, and the quality is watered down. Sad

I agree, I was shooting BP before the internet ever took off and could buy most pistols and rifles for a hundred dollars or less all day long! Knew a man and his wife in Southmaid Texas that ran a BP shooters shop called the Powder Horn, very nice people had about anything or could order anything you could want plus she made custom leather goods. Sure do miss all of that, they could really do well in todays market. Nothing but greed now and the same gun you could buy then for a hundred dollar bill cost a stupid price now, and the quality is watered down. Sad

LOL!!! Shooting is much cheaper for me now than it was back in the bad old days.

This just shows that blackpowder shooters were skinflints , cheapskates and curmudgeons in 2010, like they were in 1990, and probably were in 1965 " one of them Spaghetti western spaghetti blaster cap revolvers is how much?? $18?? You can Keep it!!"
Yeah but when I started shootin cap pistols I could buy a surplus 1917 Smith .45 for about the same money and it’d be shipped in the mail right to my door.

Yeah but when I started shootin cap pistols I could buy a surplus 1917 Smith .45 for about the same money and it’d be shipped in the mail right to my door.
as has the cost of everything else.
It's called inflation some times it catches you in between mouth fulls
"Support your local sheriff".
Bunk

Used to be you could mail order a Thompson too

It's like slow motion Freedom erosion

If you have a C&R you still kinda can have a 1917 shipped to your door but nowhere near the same money

Blackpowder revolvers and pre-98 stuff like Colt New Armies are the last holdout of mail order handguns with no bs paperwork or licensing

I have been conducting some research into the price increases that we have all seen in the past couple of years. A lot of this is due to the weakness of the dollar against the Euro. This could be temporary depending on how the government reshapes itself in the next couple of years. I have communicated with many people in both the collecting and shooting fraternities and many are putting off acquiring new revolvers thinking the prices will go back down. However, in talking with the importers of Pietta and Uberti percussion revolvers this is definitely not going to happen. If you check out the Web Sites of the major importers you will find the disclosure, “Prices may change without notice”. All have informed me that they have already been notified by the manufacturers that there will be a definite increase in prices of these revolvers in 2011. Also, more and more the manufacturers are requiring CASH from the importers rather than credit. This means they can only order in small quantities for resale. Many have discontinued offering percussion revolvers because of this. Uberti was absorbed by Beretta and as a result the delivery of percussion revolvers has become totally unreliable. I have been told that an order placed now may not even be filled until October of 2011, with a possible increase in quoted prices. This is also true of Pietta. Cabela’s is probably the largest retailer of Pietta revolvers and many are on back order. One reason for the low Sale prices that you see Cabela’s offer is an attempt to turn the inventory fast in order to maintain a high volume of new orders from Pietta and maintain a contracted price.

Another very important point is the sesquicentennial of the Civil War. Manufacturers and importers both sense that this also may cause a resurgence of interest in reenacting thus an increase in the sales of replica percussion revolvers.

The collector value of replica black powder revolvers is most definitely causing prices to increase. One of the most outstanding examples of this is the in depth research done by Wolf Niederastroth into the Centennial 1860 Army manufactured in Belgium by Centaure. This was the first mass produced replica 1860 Army that came into existence with the efforts of William B. Edwards. The prices of these revolvers were pretty much the same as their Italian counterparts through the years. With the information uncovered by Wolf the collectability of these revolvers dramatically increased as did their prices.

In short it is suggested that the prices of new replica black powder revolvers is not ever going to drop to the levels of two years ago. Indeed, right now the prices of rare markings on older revolvers are probably as low as they will ever be. As the number of collectors increase, so will the prices. As more information is uncovered the number of collectors increase.

Do you think the price of gasoline will ever be $1.25 a gallon the same as when a replica black powder percussion revolver was $69?
Why are you referring to the year 2011?

Nothing is going to drop in price. Welcome to reality.[/quote]

Bingo!
I was in a pawn shop the other day and the guy had a Pietta .44 1851 BRASS frame. Price? $275. You gotta be kidding me. Cabelas was usually the cheapest, but now Im not so sure anymore.
[/QUOTE]

Inflation alone is causing prices to go up.
Other factors are at work also.
A year from now prices could be 25% or more higher due to politics and monetary policy.
Looks bad for the long haul. This situation is not going to go away.
BUY NOW.

Attachments

• 1959.PNG
    1959.PNG
    185.2 KB · Views: 0
I have not purchased a new firearm in more than 20 years, with the exception of a rifle the Emigs built for me two years ago. Drive a new car out of the showroom and the value drops sharply. Same when you carry a new gun out of the gun shop door. I have purchased UNFIRED new guns at good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back