Increase in interest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Splitear,
You're doing a great job keeping the flame alive. Growing brittle and bitter does nothing to promote our heritage. Sitting back and telling others that they are the problem but not offering a better solution encourages our youth how? The youth shooters I've rubbed shoulders with are impressive young men and women who can look past the restrictions and the naysayers. If more of us would stand up and become involved with them our country will be far better off.

Reaction score
In 1976 me and two of my older brothers were in a muzzleloader club in Bayville NY November of that year we had a live ammo target shoot in the village targets were set up on a boat launching ramp and the backstop was Long Island sound we took 1st,2nd and 4th place I don't think they are planning another

Reaction score
My coworker wanted a Mondragon rifle after playing BF1, I'm like ok, good luck buddy :)

I remember buying Carcanos for like 40 bucks at gun shows and that was only 20 years ago.

German stuff is always inflated

The market for surplus bolt action rifles petered out , the days of $50 Mosins are long gone. And younger people generally don't care about older guns.
What about my factory original U.S. model 1917 rifle I paid $150 for in 1989

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see a little surge on it.

I know here in the Boston area there is a lot of stuff in the works for the 250th anniversaries, and events all over the place. Many of the reenactment groups have had good success in recruiting lately. One group on the British side has had over 10 ( I want to say 15) new people in the last 18 months, which is pretty impressive.

Hoping to ride a small "wave" of interest either new or renewed as we approach to fill the ranks of a new group I am part of...time will tell!

Reaction score
Can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not. In case it’s not, the answer is nope. The British offered freedom to any slave who put on a redcoat and many descendants of an all black regiment live in Nova Scotia today.

As commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in 1775, he initially refused to accept African-Americans, free or enslaved, into the ranks, but bowed to the demands of war, and thereafter led a racially integrated army. At war’s end, Washington demanded without success that the British respect the preliminary peace treaty which he said required return of escaped slaves without exception. His public statement on resigning his commission , addressing challenges facing the new confederation, made no explicit mention of slavery. Politically, Washington felt that the divisive issue of American chattel slavery threatened national cohesion, he never spoke publicly about it, and signed laws that protected slavery as well as laws that curtailed slavery.
Not sarcastic at all. I had watched several Washington Series on YouTube and I remember the scene specifically but if it was just Hollywood being Holley wood I appreciate the enlightenment!
Thanks
Joe

Reaction score
Can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not. In case it’s not, the answer is nope. The British offered freedom to any slave who put on a redcoat and many descendants of an all black regiment live in Nova Scotia today.

As commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in 1775, he initially refused to accept African-Americans, free or enslaved, into the ranks, but bowed to the demands of war, and thereafter led a racially integrated army. At war’s end, Washington demanded without success that the British respect the preliminary peace treaty which he said required return of escaped slaves without exception. His public statement on resigning his commission , addressing challenges facing the new confederation, made no explicit mention of slavery. Politically, Washington felt that the divisive issue of American chattel slavery threatened national cohesion, he never spoke publicly about it, and signed laws that protected slavery as well as laws that curtailed slavery.
So back to this we know that the movie the Patriot movie was more of a feel good movie then history lesson but you would hope that some of it was based on fact. So I was much mistaken and appreciate the history lesson concerning General Washington and the man he was. True or not it was the Continental Congress that made the claim that any slave that served in the continental army for a year would be paid and receive there freedom. Not that it matters here but did that happened? Thanks for the schooling!
Joe

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
All in all, I'd say NOPE, when it comes to "increase in interest".

Now a Netlfix series done with good costuming and proper flintlocks..., and there are LOTS of good stories out there that are actually true for the AWI and F&I...., THAT would generate interest. (Hey nobody cared for "the frontier" until Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett ; King of The Wild Frontier.)

Come to think of it I really do need to make a pilgrimage to Fess Parker's grave....., 😢

Maybe call it "A Fire on The Frontier" or some such. With good writing it would do well, but alas, what we normally get is mediocre costuming and modern soap opera stories with folks in funny clothing..... SEE Jamestown done in the UK and distributed by NBC International, for an example of a good idea done very very, very wrong.

LD

Last edited:

Beau Robbins

40 Cal
Reaction score
Your right, the spikes in interest are always media driven. Don't worry Dave, it's coming right along. Should be done early enough to effect the 250th.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I would hope there will be a 1976 type of "surge". But, with the Rev. War not even being taught in many (most?) schools anymore, I have my doubts.
Good afternoon,

I was just wondering, with the 250th Anniversary of the Revolutionary War approaching in less then 3 years, do any of you all for see in increase in reenactors/living history for that era?

What about a “surge” in documentaries or movies dealing with the AWI?
Will arms and antiques from that era be in higher demand and increase in value?

Just curious, as I have read/heard of the rise of interest in the American Civil War in the early 1960s due to it being the centennial.

Thank you in advance.

Kyle Kalasnik

Nope. Don’t see it happening.
Most Americans under 30 are pretty much clueless about our history except that some of our ancestors had black slaves, and should be eternally damned for it.
If I were to tell a classroom full of high school students that Bill Clinton freed the slaves by winning WWII, I wonder how many would even question it?

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
IMO you are not teaching them the truth only what fits the 4H agenda. Tell them the truth the whole truth. I think you know that as why else try to rationalize it here. Its imo silly. It’s obviously a controversial subject I personally would not broadcast it. If it’s what you believe fine but I disagree.
Call me ignorant but since when has it been controversial to teach kids not to point guns at people????

Reaction score
Most Americans under 30 are pretty much clueless about our history except that some of our ancestors had black slaves, and should be eternally damned for it.
If I were to tell a classroom full of high school students that Bill Clinton freed the slaves by winning WWII, I wonder how many would even question it?
No disrespect, but that is a shame. And unfortunately it is probably the truth.

I was speaking with a young man (21 years old) at work the other day.

Wildlife led to hunting, Hunting led to firearms. Firearms led to muzzleloading Muzzleloading led to history. Which we were discussing the 17 and 1800s.

He was clueless about colonies and states, 1776 and 1861, Confederates and Redcoats. And the list goes on.

I understand, maybe not as interested as myself when it comes to American History, but he was completely naive and ignorant of many simple facts.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score

Wildlife led to hunting, Hunting led to firearms. Firearms led to muzzleloading Muzzleloading led to history. Which we were discussing the 17 and 1800s.

He was clueless about colonies and states, 1776 and 1861, Confederates and Redcoats. And the list goes on.

I understand, maybe not as interested as myself when it comes to American History, but he was completely naive and ignorant of many simple facts.

He probably knows all about saving the planet and slavery in America, though.

Reaction score

In the late 1960's when I was teaching history at a large university in a Southeastern state I found that most of the incoming freshmen believed that in WW II the Germans were helping the US fight the Russians and that Japan was our ally
fighting the Chinese. Yes, it was pretty depressing.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score

Actually, it was the War of 1812, fought in 1066, right after he'd freed the slaves from the Corsairs and founded the US Marine Corps. As we all know, both he and Sergeant York lost their lives at the siege of the Alamo in 1863, while the Mexican general, Pancho Villa, went on to have a long and lucrative career in the movies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I was just wondering, with the 250th Anniversary of the Revolutionary War approaching in less then 3 years, do any of you all for see in increase in reenactors/living history for that era?

Just curious, as I have read/heard of the rise of interest in the American Civil War in the early 1960s due to it being the centennial.

Thank you in advance.

Kyle Kalasnik
Hey Kyle, interesting post for more than one reason. There’s the obvious reason that there is hope for an uptick in Rev War reenacting, but in addition, I never knew where Potter county, PA was, but I did a bit of growing up not far away. I lived in Bradford (McKean Co.) between ‘56 and 64, and apparently they didn’t do a very good job teaching us much local geography. When I was a kid our dad took us all over the country visiting forts and National parks and we saw a lot of great stuff. My first reenactment gig was with an F&I gathering here in Maryland but I skipped the Rev War period and went on the civil war reenacting. Currently I am cataloging my genealogy and ancestry and counting all my rev war ancestor veterans and possibly joining the SAR (although the SAR appears to be a highly socially-oriented organization and my interest is much more technically oriented).

Take care,Tom

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Thank you in advance.

Kyle Kalasnik

Sadly, no.
At best there will be documentaries detailing with which founding fathers owned slaves, and because of that, our country was founded under false principles and nothing they did or said is or sacrificed is worthy of praise or respect.
If there were to be a one hour documentary on the founders, 45 minutes of it would be about slavery.