Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
4-H instruction.
Gun fitting in process ; )

20220930_105224.jpg

Reaction score
???? there is an agenda to not wanting kids to shot at people??? i would think that these days there would be parents who would not let their kids join 4h if they were doing that. at least there will be new shooters coming up to replace us. i for one thank you splitear.
Come on man what club teaches kids to shoot at others. Let’s go sign Junior up to learn how to shoot people! These days or any days past. They are only fooling themselves the kids go home and play call to glory. You can forget about being replaced with that mind set there will be no reenactors and eventually no gun ownership.

Reaction score
Gosh this makes me feel old. I was very active during the Bicentennial and it's what got me back into blackpowder after throwing away my youth on things like motorcycles, cars and well you know the rest.

With the current climate I wonder if we'll have to hang our heads in shame and submission, pile our arms and burn them, pay restitution for the tea we dumped in the harbor and send a delegation to England to apologize to the Crown for offending them. We may have to cede our National Parks to England in partial compensation for the property and goods we sized from them too. (I hope you take this as tongue in cheek)
Hawk, I would not Dream of Putting My Tonue in My Cheek.
I heartly agree wih your sentiments.. Ancient Brit !! O.D.
No offence meant to any one & I hope none taken ??
Just Tongue in Cheek..

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
1976 was a cool year. I bought the 1776-1976 Remington 1100, number 883.

Ford made 1776 Model As with Pinto running gear. They cost $1976, I almost bought one.
The idea of a 4 banger was repugnant back then. Now they sell for $17,000.

No one wants to reenact dirty slave owning rich white men. Sad how we have regressed in the last 50 years.

Reaction score
There won't be much if any resurgence of interest because this isn't the America of 1976

Most Americans don't care about the Revolution.

In 2018 no one cared that it was the 100th Anniversary of the end of WWI.

The reenacting of the Revolution won't suddenly explode because people can't or won't pay $2000 for a repro musket and $2000 for a proper, HC uniform.

I know many Civil War reenactors, some of them in their 20s and 30s and they enjoy it because they get to reenact, hang out, drink beer at night for the overnight weekends, and unless you're in a stitch counter unit which I think has mostly gone by the wayside, you can pick up a "budget" uniform kit for a few 100 bucks off Ebay and find a used ArmiSport 1861 or P53.

I brought up Revolutionary War reenacting to the guy I know and he said no one wants to mess with it because it's hard to do it right and the best you can do is probably be a part of a Living History somewhere like Trenton , Monmouth or Crosswicks, NJ that still does some reenacting. I used to live in NJ and there is a ton of Revolutionary history and pride in the areas where the battles took place, they still do the annual reenacting of Washington's Crossing and there are small battles you can see at events. The Trenton Battlefield society invites reenactors of both genders to participate but they tell you , you must have a completely HC uniform or civilian dress and they explicitly list what is allowed and what isn't. Plus a correct weapon if you're portraying an armed combatant. The average Joe doesn't want to mess with this.

Outside of areas where there were battles you won't be likely to see interest in Revolutionary reenacting. Years ago I went to Crosswicks for a Cider Fest and they had a small battle. I believe Monmouth still has larger reenactments.

Civil War reenacting is also huge in Europe for whatever reason and people all over the US still enjoy shooting percussion revolvers and muskets, because it's more accessible and a little more "modern" with the Sharps rifles, revolvers, carbines, etc , and you can buy repro guns and shoot them. I don't know many of my buddies who are into guns that don't own at least one percussion revolver because they watched a Western or a movie like Glory and thought they looked cool ,and bought one at a gun show or something.

People are much less likely to decide to buy a Pedersoli Charleville just for fun and start shooting it . There's more involved in it than the Civil War stuff that is fun for weekend range blasting .

Reaction score
There won't be much if any resurgence of interest because this isn't the America of 1976

The reenacting of the Revolution won't suddenly explode because people can't or won't pay $2000 for a repro musket and $2000 for a proper, HC uniform.

I know many Civil War reenactors, some of them in their 20s and 30s and they enjoy it because they get to reenact, hang out, drink beer at night for the overnight weekends, and unless you're in a stitch counter unit which I think has mostly gone by the wayside, you can pick up a "budget" uniform kit for a few 100 bucks off Ebay and find a used ArmiSport 1861 or P53.

I brought up Revolutionary War reenacting to the guy I know and he said no one wants to mess with it because it's hard to do it right and the best you can do is probably be a part of a Living History somewhere like Trenton , Monmouth or Crosswicks, NJ that still does some reenacting. I used to live in NJ and there is a ton of Revolutionary history and pride in the areas where the battles took place, they still do the annual reenacting of Washington's Crossing and there are small battles you can see at events. The Trenton Battlefield society invites reenactors of both genders to participate but they tell you , you must have a completely HC uniform or civilian dress and they explicitly list what is allowed and what isn't. Plus a correct weapon if you're portraying an armed combatant. The average Joe doesn't want to mess with this.

Outside of areas where there were battles you won't be likely to see interest in Revolutionary reenacting. Years ago I went to Crosswicks for a Cider Fest and they had a small battle. I believe Monmouth still has larger reenactments.

Civil War reenacting is also huge in Europe for whatever reason and people all over the US still enjoy shooting percussion revolvers and muskets, because it's more accessible and a little more "modern" with the Sharps rifles, revolvers, carbines, etc , and you can buy repro guns and shoot them. I don't know many of my buddies who are into guns that don't own at least one percussion revolver because they watched a Western or a movie like Glory and thought they looked cool ,and bought one at a gun show or something.

People are much less likely to decide to buy a Pedersoli Charleville just for fun and start shooting it . There's more involved in it than the Civil War stuff that is fun for weekend range blasting

Reaction score

People are much less likely to decide to buy a Pedersoli Charleville just for fun and start shooting it . There's more involved in it than the Civil War stuff that is fun for weekend range blasting .
You make some great points.

The civil war is so cultural ingrained, and ironically, the historical controversy probably helps because there is no shortage of new scholarship or arguments to keep it in people's minds.

There is so little cultural presence of the Revolutionary War, besides the obvious "its our founding". One of the only movies I can think of is "The Patriot" and while fun, it has many issues. Outside of that, there is Hamilton, but the war itself is only a small part of that.

With WWI, we at least had some new movies, and weirdly, videogames. There was "They Shall Not Grow Old", "1917", and a new "All Quiet On The Western Front" coming out, which points to some increased interest.

Reaction score
Most Americans don't care about the Revolution. of interest because this isn't the America of 1976
I graduated High School in 1976.
Through elementary school we learned about the Revolution. I remember years prior going to Fort Ticonderoga. I was in awe; walking where George Washington and other greats of the Revolution walked! Some may know the feeling I’m talking about. Why did I have this feeling? I think it’s simple because I learned about it in Grammar and Middle School. Witnessing the Fort the Battle Fields at Saratoga and other were just incredible to me. Obviously I would never have had those feelings that have been with me a lifetime if I was not exposed to it in school.
After I graduated in 1976 I was one of those that would go back to the high school to hang with my shop teachers I admired. Did it for a few years. Within a few years auto and metal shop closed up. Wood Shop something else 😝! They ruined it! If you wanted industrial arts you had to go to Boces.
So to me it’s the schools I doubt the Revolution is even discussed today. My kids learned vaguely in the early 90s.

If they ever right this nation and go back to teaching our history I think there’s a very good chance it can be saved and if not saved reborn.

Reaction score
You make some great points.

The civil war is so cultural ingrained, and ironically, the historical controversy probably helps because there is no shortage of new scholarship or arguments to keep it in people's minds.

There is so little cultural presence of the Revolutionary War, besides the obvious "its our founding". One of the only movies I can think of is "The Patriot" and while fun, it has many issues. Outside of that, there is Hamilton, but the war itself is only a small part of that.

With WWI, we at least had some new movies, and weirdly, videogames. There was "They Shall Not Grow Old", "1917", and a new "All Quiet On The Western Front" coming out, which points to some increased interest.
Thank You

Movies are huge in increasing interest in history, when Saving Private Ryan came out, everyone was a WWII buff and the prices on weapons like Garands went up because everyone wanted one, Springfield Armory Inc even made repros. WWII reeenacting became more popular after bunches of WWII movies and games came out. I even did some.

The Civil War is still I guess "fresh" in our cultural memory and people like to romanticize that period. Plus like you said, the new controversy keeps the interest fresh.

The Revolution feels like such a long time ago to most people that they won't have much interest in doing much with it. As we know, America is a Gun Culture, and a big part of historical resurgence is the firearms and people wanting to own and shoot them. It comes down to the Revolution doesn't have as many "cool" guns. I have a big interest in the Revolution and it's one of my favorite historical periods.

I'll bet, if the new All Quiet on the Western Front is really good, and becomes popular, interest in WWI history and weapons will spike and demand for Mausers will go up. And there will be some WWI reenactment. There have been some good WWI games that came out too.

Reaction score
I graduated High School in 1976.
Through elementary school we learned about the Revolution. I remember years prior going to Fort Ticonderoga. I was in awe; walking where George Washington and other greats of the Revolution walked! Some may know the feeling I’m talking about. Why did I have this feeling? I think it’s simple because I learned about it in Grammar and Middle School. Witnessing the Fort the Battle Fields at Saratoga and other were just incredible to me. Obviously I would never have had those feelings that have been with me a lifetime if I was not exposed to it in school.
After I graduated in 1976 I was one of those that would go back to the high school to hang with my shop teachers I admired. Did it for a few years. Within a few years auto and metal shop closed up. Wood Shop something else 😝! They ruined it! If you wanted industrial arts you had to go to Boces.
So to me it’s the schools I doubt the Revolution is even discussed today. My kids learned vaguely in the early 90s.

If they ever right this nation and go back to teaching our history I think there’s a very good chance it can be saved and if not saved reborn.
I graduated from High School in 1998 , in NJ so we took field trips to the Trenton Barracks and saw Living History displays, and we went to Monmouth Battlefield park. I actually ran a XC meet there. Revolutionary History is everywhere in South Jersey, I lived right down the road from an historical Cranberry Bog and preserved village. I remember going to Tennent Church outside Monmouth where they keep the blood stained pew preserved where a wounded soldier was laid for treatment. It's very moving, you can see the blood of a Continental Army soldier who was hit by a cannonball. It is awe inspiring. As a kid I always had an interest and a reverence for the Revolutionary history because I lived where a lot of it occurred , You can go to Rhinebeck NY and eat in a tavern where George Washington ate, or go to Williamsburg, VA . If people don't experience the history they won't have any context for it. There's still people who are part of the Sons and Daughters of the Revolution who have a lot of pride that they are descendents of Revolutionary War veterans.

For most kids in school it's just some ancient war that happened and it's all George Washington, the British etc etc and they have no connection to it

I was in the Army with guys from the Deep South who were related to Confederate veterans and in some cases fairly high ranking Officers and they had a lot of pride about this. It's part of their heritage. If my Great x2 Granddad was a LTC in the Army of Northern Virginia and was personal friends with Robert E. Lee I'd be proud too, all like , here's a pic of my great great granddad taking tea with Gen. Lee. You can't tell them they can't feel a connection to their ancestor or have pride in that.

Reaction score
I'll bet, if the new All Quiet on the Western Front is really good, and becomes popular, interest in WWI history and weapons will spike and demand for Mausers will go up. And there will be some WWI reenactment. There have been some good WWI games that came out too.
The “All Quiet” trailer looked very promising, so here is hoping. BF1 could have had it’s characters replaced with Aliens and Colonial Marines and there would have been almost no difference (fun a-f though), but before it came out, there was probably no one under the age of 50 that was interested in WW1 bolt action rifles. Its cool to see that there is now a big enough interest for people to play games like Verdun and Isonzo. The people on the C&Rsenal YouTube made a joke that they price themselves out of any potential surplus because demand spikes after every video. If only lebels and carcanos were still super cheap haha.

Hopefully, a Revolutionary War miniseries or movie is in the works.

Reaction score
I thought General Washington offered freedom to any slave that served?
Can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not. In case it’s not, the answer is nope. The British offered freedom to any slave who put on a redcoat and many descendants of an all black regiment live in Nova Scotia today.

As commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in 1775, he initially refused to accept African-Americans, free or enslaved, into the ranks, but bowed to the demands of war, and thereafter led a racially integrated army. At war’s end, Washington demanded without success that the British respect the preliminary peace treaty which he said required return of escaped slaves without exception. His public statement on resigning his commission , addressing challenges facing the new confederation, made no explicit mention of slavery. Politically, Washington felt that the divisive issue of American chattel slavery threatened national cohesion, he never spoke publicly about it, and signed laws that protected slavery as well as laws that curtailed slavery.

Last edited:

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Gosh this makes me feel old. I was very active during the Bicentennial and it's what got me back into blackpowder after throwing away my youth on things like motorcycles, cars and well you know the rest.

With the current climate I wonder if we'll have to hang our heads in shame and submission, pile our arms and burn them, pay restitution for the tea we dumped in the harbor and send a delegation to England to apologize to the Crown for offending them. We may have to cede our National Parks to England in partial compensation for the property and goods we sized from them too. (I hope you take this as tongue in cheek)

Funny you should say that.... there was a story going around the bazaars a few years ago about the-then-proposed building of a new US embassy in Grosvenor Square, London. As with most things that have the name Grosvenor, the actual land belonged to the Duke of Westminster of the day, a very redoubtable gentleman whose wealth would make Mr Trump look like a mere parvenue.

The then-ambassador wrote a letter to the duke, asking for his views on the planned use of his property, and the reply, in the form of another letter from the duke's land agent, took the ambassador back somewhat, to say the least. Basically, it advised him that the duke was happy to do a 'swap' of holdings in exchange for a couple of acres of prime London land, at that time probably valued at around $1000 per square foot.

In return for this extremely generous 'gift' to the Government of the United States of America, he asked only to be given the deed to some property that had belonged to the family before the Revolution took it all away - namely, an area of worthless swamp adjoining the sea, located on the Eastern side of a peninsula that consisted mostly of swamp, everglades and mudflats - utterly useless for any discernible purpose known to Man, namely 27-00-00 North - down to 25-14-40 South.

Taking the duke's letter back to the office, the ambassador and his aides checked the latitude and longitude given to them in the letter. You might care to check the details yourselves, but I'll tell you anyway. It's most of SE Florida, including, these days, Palm Beach and Miami.

The duke was renowned for his robust sense of humour.... In the end, he offered the location for a so-called peppercorn rent, and all were happy.

Incidentally, I'm reminded here of very basic difference between the cultures that became separated in the 1770's - had this been posted on a British site, your final comment - 'I hope you take this as tongue in cheek' - would have been totally superfluous. Your post would have been instantly understood to have been a humorous spoof, and not a real suggestion.

Reaction score
The “All Quiet” trailer looked very promising, so here is hoping. BF1 could have had it’s characters replaced with Aliens and Colonial Marines and there would have been almost no difference (fun a-f though), but before it came out, there was probably no one under the age of 50 that was interested in WW1 bolt action rifles. Its cool to see that there is now a big enough interest for people to play games like Verdun and Isonzo. The people on the C&Rsenal YouTube made a joke that they price themselves out of any potential surplus because demand spikes after every video. If only lebels and carcanos were still super cheap haha.

Hopefully, a Revolutionary War miniseries or movie is in the works.
My coworker wanted a Mondragon rifle after playing BF1, I'm like ok, good luck buddy :)

I remember buying Carcanos for like 40 bucks at gun shows and that was only 20 years ago.

German stuff is always inflated

The market for surplus bolt action rifles petered out , the days of $50 Mosins are long gone. And younger people generally don't care about older guns.