Increase in interest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I was just wondering, with the 250th Anniversary of the Revolutionary War approaching in less then 3 years, do any of you all for see in increase in reenactors/living history for that era?

What about a “surge” in documentaries or movies dealing with the AWI?

Will arms and antiques from that era be in higher demand and increase in value?

Just curious, as I have read/heard of the rise of interest in the American Civil War in the early 1960s due to it being the centennial.

Thank you in advance.

Kyle Kalasnik

Reaction score
I participated in the Bi-Centennial with a great Regiment; we had TV and movie 'extra' parts, etc. The general public was really on board with interest. This time around, the Quarter Millennium, not so much, I'm afraid! The ongoing anti-gun atmosphere, the "woke" ideas that we were "mean" back then, etc., and the general friction politically precludes much general public appreciation. I agree, there will be but a flash in the pan!

Reaction score
Gosh this makes me feel old. I was very active during the Bicentennial and it's what got me back into blackpowder after throwing away my youth on things like motorcycles, cars and well you know the rest.

With the current climate I wonder if we'll have to hang our heads in shame and submission, pile our arms and burn them, pay restitution for the tea we dumped in the harbor and send a delegation to England to apologize to the Crown for offending them. We may have to cede our National Parks to England in partial compensation for the property and goods we sized from them too. (I hope you take this as tongue in cheek)

Reaction score
I would hope there will be a 1976 type of "surge". But, with the Rev. War not even being taught in many (most?) schools anymore, I have my doubts.
I'm waiting for the "wokes" to demand we remove slave owners from our coins & currency. And don't think they haven't thought about it! (Yes, we all know slavery is and was wrong but we can't go back in a time machine!)

Reaction score
Our county historical society (Saratoga County) has put together quite a program leading up to the 250th for the Battle of Saratoga. I'm going to be getting my 4-H kids involved with a lot of their living history programs. We cannot participate in any of the shooting reenactments (4-H does not shoot at people), but we can help with many of the period activities that they do. We haven't started yet, but the kids are looking forward to it.

Reaction score
Our county historical society (Saratoga County) has put together quite a program leading up to the 250th for the Battle of Saratoga. I'm going to be getting my 4-H kids involved with a lot of their living history programs. We cannot participate in any of the shooting reenactments (4-H does not shoot at people), but we can help with many of the period activities that they do. We haven't started yet, but the kids are looking forward to it.

Saratoga is a great and well maintained battlefield.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the "wokes" to demand we remove slave owners from our coins & currency. And don't think they haven't thought about it! (Yes, we all know slavery is and was wrong but we can't go back in a time machine!)
I thought General Washington offered freedom to any slave that served?

Reaction score

I’m not dissing what your doing any quality time spent with children is time well spent though that thinking bothers me. It’s part of knowing right from wrong. Are they allowed to witness the battles. Reminds me of the Town Range in Islip. I went there several years ago and was told i had to fold the head behind the target; you’re everyday silhouette splatter target. I said seriously and was told the town doesn’t allow people type targets. I said okay as I really could care less if the target looked like a dart board or a torso. I’ve heard they have been trying to close it for years so I understand but it’s a stupid rules especially for a mostly very senior group of shooters. I have not been there in several years; folding the target didn’t chase me away but now I have to check to see if it is still open to the public. It cost me a lot to shoot there because I was not a resident but I thought it was a nice small range perfect for BP. Funny to see the big unmentionables there it would be perfect for pistol which half was or cowboy action but not if you can’t use Desperado targets like my Evil Roy.

Reaction score
I’m not dissing what your doing any quality time spent with children is time well spent though that thinking bothers me. It’s part of knowing right from wrong. Are they allowed to witness the battles. Reminds me of the Town Range in Islip. I went there several years ago and was told i had to fold the head behind the target; you’re everyday silhouette splatter target. I said seriously and was told the town doesn’t allow people type targets. I said okay as I really could care less if the target looked like a dart board or a torso. I’ve heard they have been trying to close it for years so I understand but it’s a stupid rules especially for a mostly very senior group of shooters. I have not been there in several years; folding the target didn’t chase me away but now I have to check to see if it is still open to the public. It cost me a lot to shoot there because I was not a resident but I thought it was a nice small range perfect for BP. Funny to see the big unmentionables there it would be perfect for pistol which half was or cowboy action but not if you can’t use Desperado targets like my Evil Roy.
Oh sure, they can watch the battles, and really can participate in most everything but simulated combat. Our curriculum teaches that firearms or archery equipment (real or not) ever be pointed at a human being or anything representing a human being. We don’t use humanoid targets, no laser tag, paintball, etc. Actually, for any of the block humanoid targets, we just flip them upside down or cut them. Kids can do what they want outside of the program, but we reinforce that for our purposes, guns are not weapons (the W word), and are not to be pointed at or fired towards anyone.

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I would venture to guess there are millions of Americans who don't know the Revolutionary War from the Civil War and could care less about either. It would be nice if some interest was sparked but I just don't see it happening.

B P Arn

"You have my word on it, as a Biden..."
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Oh sure, they can watch the battles, and really can participate in most everything but simulated combat. Our curriculum teaches that firearms or archery equipment (real or not) ever be pointed at a human being or anything representing a human being. We don’t use humanoid targets, no laser tag, paintball, etc. Actually, for any of the block humanoid targets, we just flip them upside down or cut them. Kids can do what they want outside of the program, but we reinforce that for our purposes, guns are not weapons (the W word), and are not to be pointed at or fired towards anyone.

You are part of the problem.

Reaction score
You are part of the problem.
Why? We use a national curriculum that teaches the safe and ethical use of firearms and archery equipment. We teach kids that we don't shoot at people, and our program doesn't facilitate activities that teach the opposite of that. It's like running a driving school, and part of your curriculum is having students participate in a demo derby. There's nothing wrong with either, we just stay in our lane, which is promoting shooting sports to youth by teaching safety, personal responsibility and a huge array of life skills. A big piece of our muzzleloader program is teaching how firearms and the men and women who were proficient in their use shaped our history, and letting kids get hands on experience with those firearms. We just skip the part that has our kids shooting at people, real or simulated. If they choose to start re-enacting, that's fantastic, and I hope what they learn through our program helps them. However, it's just not part of what we do.

I really hate this "you're part of the problem" mindset. Trust me @B P Arn, we're on the same side, I just play a part in the larger play that is helping promote this sport.

Reaction score
Our mind set was different fifty years ago, and I’m not talking politics here. We grew up having to imagine, building forts out of cardboard and hills were mountians.
For most of us at that time it was a chance for big boys to play cowboys and Indians. We could meet with like minded people and set up a camp more real then what we saw in the movies.
When I got in the navy I got in to playing D and D, and even more fun military board games from Avolon Hill.
The boards were flat and covered with hexagons, but in our minds we could see dragons, the Nazi Tanks or Caesar’s Legions.
Today, you can see a virtual world. More compleat then any thing we can build.
Even our outdoor activities has to work hard to have nothing that smacks of discomfort and everything to create a thrill. Mountain biking, rock climbing ect.
You want to cook at home, you can get a meal kit with even the spices in pre measured packages, and trail food has even become tasty.
I think it will be hard to stimulate a lot of interest.
People may ohh and ahhh at our camps, but new recruits may be as hard to find as model train builders
And those who do get fascinated by what we do also have pirate festivals, steam punk, cosplay, also calling come play out your nerdy fantasies here.

Reaction score
Why? We use a national curriculum that teaches the safe and ethical use of firearms and archery equipment. We teach kids that we don't shoot at people, and our program doesn't facilitate activities that teach the opposite of that. It's like running a driving school, and part of your curriculum is having students participate in a demo derby. There's nothing wrong with either, we just stay in our lane, which is promoting shooting sports to youth by teaching safety, personal responsibility and a huge array of life skills. A big piece of our muzzleloader program is teaching how firearms and the men and women who were proficient in their use shaped our history, and letting kids get hands on experience with those firearms. We just skip the part that has our kids shooting at people, real or simulated. If they choose to start re-enacting, that's fantastic, and I hope what they learn through our program helps them. However, it's just not part of what we do.

I really hate this "you're part of the problem" mindset. Trust me @B P Arn, we're on the same side, I just play a part in the larger play that is helping promote this sport.
IMO you are not teaching them the truth only what fits the 4H agenda. Tell them the truth the whole truth. I think you know that as why else try to rationalize it here. Its imo silly. It’s obviously a controversial subject I personally would not broadcast it. If it’s what you believe fine but I disagree.

Reaction score
IMO you are not teaching them the truth only what fits the 4H agenda. Tell them the truth the whole truth. I think you know that as why else try to rationalize it here. Its imo silly. It’s obviously a controversial subject I personally would not broadcast it. If it’s what you believe fine but I disagree.
I'm really struggling with what the issue is here. There is no "agenda". We teach shooting sports, we teach it to youth. We do not teach shooting people, which for the most part is a good thing. There's no rationalizing, no politics involved. I'm all for shooting for self-defense, military, re-enactment, any of it, it's just not what we do. If you want to learn to be a racecar driver, you don't take a defensive driving course. We use a nationally recognized curriculum that is vetted and insured, we work with 10's of thousands of youth, most of whom stay involved in shooting and outdoor sports for the rest of their life. Again, if anyone wants to be involved in other aspects of shooting sports that involve self defense or simulated combat, that's fantastic, it's just not our lane.

I think you're right, this isn't an argument I'm going to win, mainly because I'm not sure what the argument is about or why it's even a thing. So on that, I'll bow out of any further defense of our program. I just think we do a dang good job of engaging and teaching youth about shooting sports, and it gives me a way to develop and share my interest in muzzleloading.

Regardless, and back to the OP, on my end, the 250th is sparking interest in our youth, and I'm looking forward to getting them involved in learning and participating in the important part that Saratoga played in the founding of our country.

Last edited:

Latest posts