• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In real life Civil War what was the most ways a revolver was loaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Was it powder horn and loose ball and cap carried in a pouch? Or maybe paper cartridges? Was the powder premeasured? Was a capper used? Any lubricant? Reloading a pistol must have been a good time to get shot at.

I recall some one saying they saw a picture of a guerrilla who just happened to have his revolver facing the camera. What appeared to be candle wax was on the cylinder. But I kind of doubt that was the norm.

General Lee's revolver was found to be loaded when he surrendered but I have never found any details as to how.Besides he more than likely handed it to an orderly to load for him.How that was done is any one's guess.

I think there was story about Lee's gun - years after the war it was still loaded and there was some sort of wax or something on the caps. If they did that, they would probably also put some on the front of the cylinder. Loading it because you were were actually planning to shoot it soon would be different I suppose.
There are a lot of interesting little details about those days that we will never know.

The US and CS produced millions of Nitrate paper cartridges during the Civil War, that was the standard method to reload. They were issued in packs of 6 with caps in a package.

I don't think much reloading occurred in the heat of battle. Ramming 6 cartridges and capping would have been a task with all that going on. Maybe behind cover, during a "lull" in combat but not on the move.

Officers and enlisted men issued or authorized a sidearm usually didn't carry a lot of extra rounds anyway. The "standard" was 6 rounds in the revolver cartridge pouch on the belt but I'm sure some guys carried more packs in haversacks or saddle bags. A smart Officer or soldier that was actually going into an engagement would carry several reloads

If you were one of the "non combat " personnel like a Quartermaster you probably didn't even load your revolver .

Dragoons had been reloaded from a flask in the 1840s so a few may still have been loaded that way.

Also like was said, I'm sure there were Irregulars, Guerrillas, Raiders, Home Guard Militia , guys just "helping out " that weren't really military , that used loose balls they cast themselves, powder flasks and a tin of caps to keep a six gun running.

I've read that fat from Pork was used over bullets to keep revolvers running but I suspect that was probably done before the action, not during

The US and CS produced millions of Nitrate paper cartridges during the Civil War, that was the standard method to reload. They were issued in packs of 6 with caps in a package.

I don't think much reloading occurred in the heat of battle. Ramming 6 cartridges and capping would have been a task with all that going on. Maybe behind cover, during a "lull" in combat but not on the move.

Officers and enlisted men issued or authorized a sidearm usually didn't carry a lot of extra rounds anyway. The "standard" was 6 rounds in the revolver cartridge pouch on the belt but I'm sure some guys carried more packs in haversacks or saddle bags. A smart Officer or soldier that was actually going into an engagement would carry several reloads

If you were one of the "non combat " personnel like a Quartermaster you probably didn't even load your revolver .

Dragoons had been reloaded from a flask in the 1840s so a few may still have been loaded that way.

Also like was said, I'm sure there were Irregulars, Guerrillas, Raiders, Home Guard Militia , guys just "helping out " that weren't really military , that used loose balls they cast themselves, powder flasks and a tin of caps to keep a six gun running.

I've read that fat from Pork was used over bullets to keep revolvers running but I suspect that was probably done before the action, not during
Were revolvers of the time fully interchangeable?

Or was one cylinder and fire control innards timed to work in one particular gun?

Would spare cylinders be of value or a non starter?

I spend lots of time thinking about this stuff 😃

Even today, reloading my revolver from a flask during some pre-work range time, I thought to myself, no way was anyone doing this under fire . I feel that capping under stress would be the worst part

I don't believe cappers were common back then
Your thinking shows. And I agree, cappers weren’t common, but they did exist.

I have no proof to back this up but my opinion is any one authorized to carry a revolver in the War Between the States, most likely carried a spare cylinder to facilitate reloading during the heat of battle. Just my thoughts.
I used to believe that "spare cylinder" thing but after hearing arguments against it I'm not so sure anymore Wouldn't it be easier just to carry a spare revolver?

Were revolvers of the time fully interchangeable?

Or was one cylinder and fire control innards timed to work in one particular gun?

Would spare cylinders be of value or a non starter?
The cylinders were fitted to each particular revolver, if they worked in another of the same model it would be lucky but it's possible if you kept trying different cylinders you would probably find some that work

Even if they "kinda work" but cycle rough or not 100% , it's combat and the guns were tools ,so I'm sure some Cavalry guys or irregulars made it work.

There are only a few accounts of cylinder swapping in combat and most were Rangers using the extra cylinder that came with the Paterson and one vague , interpreted story about a Confederate cavalry unit swapping cylinders on horseback

Even some of my Pietta and Uberti cylinders don't swap among the exact same models

People will say "it was never done, no one swapped cylinders back then " but I think everything happened at least once during a major conflict like the Civil War.

As most revolvers were officers weapons, I would make an educated guess that they would hand it to thier orderly to take care of. Southern cavalry particularly were fond of carrying a fistful of revolvers...no reloading...grab the next one. I wonder if during war time production, spare cylinders would have been widely available. Possibly if the weapon was purchased independently...but then, what is the likelihood of someone carrying a mallet/whatever, to knock out a wedge in the midst of a battle?
How many officers were actually in a position/range, to use thier revolvers? Of course it happened, but not typically...(cavalry of course, very likely, artillery officers likely...infantry...eh....thats what the line of troops were there for.

I have never, ever seen where any orders were placed for extra cylinders during the WBTS. The first patersons to the Texas navy came with an extra cylinder apiece but I think that was it. Has anyone seen any actual documentation for this on either the Federal or Confederate side? If you salvaged another cylinder from a damaged revolver, how would you fit it properly to the frame of your revolver?

Think about it. If you have a Colt you are talking about manipulating 4 pieces of metal with just 2 hands. Five if your wedge comes out and God forbid you drop that in the heat of a battle. Even the Remington '58..... I have both the percussion gun and the cartridge model. On both it takes some fiddling around to replace the cylinders. Have to sometimes play with the hammer to get the hand just right, roll it in and get the cylinder arbor pin to line up. Kudos to Clint Eastwood on his cylinder swap. My choice in a battle would be more guns or a faster horse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back