• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

In Praise of the Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confess, I love the aesthetics of an American longrifle. I like the long barrel, the full stock and a few other details that might sound more like I’m describing feminine anatomy than a firearm. Then there’s the history — both romantic and utterly practical for it’s time. In all likelihood, I’ll be picking one up in the next year or so.

However, after spending nearly a week in the backcountry with my Hawken as my constant companion for the third consecutive year, I have to admit that I might be, practically speaking, more of a fan of it than the longrifle. Granted, I own a Hawken and not a longrifle. But I own a longer-barreled smoothbore that shoots pretty well itself. Not only did I leave it behind, but I was glad that I did.

So what have I learned to appreciate about the Hawken? First and foremost, portability. The Hawken is a spritely 7.5 lb. That’s much easier to carry around all day than something in the 9 lb range. Where I was hunting, there is very little flat ground and a trekking pole is needed just to get up a little higher on the slopes to where the deer usually are. I’m in fairly good shape but rugged country calls for lighter gear. Having a lighter rifle is a huge advantage for these all-day excursions up slippery canyons, down deep, steep draws and through brush so thick the deer can hold tighter than quail.

Likewise, shorter barrel is also a huge advantage while hunting in the thick cover of these woods. Even just hiking in to camp requires constant ducking, stooping, climbing and creek jumping. While sitting on the side of my pack, it’s hard enough keeping that shorter barrel from snagging or banging into a downed log I’m ducking under. I couldn’t imagine having to contend with another 10+” flagging up there.

The ho-hum 1:48 twist, neither ideal for round ball nor conicals, has proven itself to be amazingly versatile. Once I learned about how to navigate patch thicknesses, I’ve managed to get respectable groups with both. I haven’t tried a sabot yet and may never need to. But lead ball, bismuth ball, ITX, power belt and Thor have all given me solid deer-hunting accuracy out to 75-100 yards. I’ve only managed to get one deer with it so far. But the rifle did it’s job without a fuss.

I’d still like to get a flintlock. But the percussion system is much appreciated where I have to camp in a humid creek bottom all night. Even after several days of a charge sitting in the barrel, it still goes *BANG!* when I pull the trigger. A little softened beeswax around the nipple seals the powder and primer from the elements. Homemade caps or purchased, homemade powder or purchased, it all works — reliably. It’s hard to expect more than that in a hunting weapon.

After 3 years of late season hunts, this Hawken has really grown on me. It’s not an “authentic” Hawken by any stretch. In truth, I only bought it because I got a good deal on it. I may yet end up putting some better sights on it or tinkering with it a bit more. But I find myself wanting to change out my main centerfire rifle for something with similar size, weight and handling of this Hawken.

So, as much as I like the looks of a longrifle and the history of a flintlock, I think my main hunting muzzleloading rifle is definitely a Hawken.
Here here !

This has been a most interesting post. I especially enjoyed the Hawken/Jeep comparison.

I've built two muzzleloading rifles. In the late 70's, a J.P. Beck, Lancaster County flintlock in .50 caliber, and this past winter a .54 caliber Hawken kit from The Hawken Shop. I love both, each for its own reasons. They are both very accurate, fun to shoot and heavy. Two out of three isn't bad!

The Beck was from scratch, a Siler lock kit, a lock plate casting with dimples to locate holes and a one-page instruction sheet. I hardened the frizzen behind the shop, with a torch, can of oil and a Machinery's Handbook. To date it still sparks nicely. Someone certainly watches over fools and small children! Inletting the swamped Douglas barrel was interesting and time consuming. Bronze furniture was all rough castings and how-to literature limited. I saved all the written communication from suppliers, hand sketches and invoices. It is history, and shows the change in doing business, then to now.

The Hawken Shop kit was a bit easier, and my chisels were sharper! In the forty some years between rifles my tool collection is certainly much more complete. My library is much more varied and complete. And of course, there is YouTube, my favorites those of the NMLRA. Greg at the Hawken Shop was available for my questions, a great resource and fine gentleman.

Regarding the Jeep, I own a 98 Wrangler, and a Black Lab, so I guess I've got the bases covered. The Jeep and Lab are required here in MT.

Frosty

Attachments

• JP Beck.jpg
    JP Beck.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken.jpg
    Hawken.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 0
I've got a couple of hundred Brandon Flints put away, and only use wooden substitutes for dry firing; will always be on the hunt for more Flints though.
I've used chipped out Glass shards as an experiment but they don't last long, will look into Jasper and Chert possibilities over here in Aussie land.
I've got about 100kg of flint sitting under my bedroom window lol

Back