• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In Praise of the Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while the Hawken style Rifle is attractive, it does not fit me well, and the ergonomics at the wrist, for me, is poor. I much prefer the Leman style half stocks.

My "go-to" percussion rifle is a so-called "Hawken" (although I don't know how far from originals it really is). It is a CVA from the early '80s. I was gifted the rifle and it was .50 caliber. Not being a .50 caliber fan, I found and traded for a same era barrel in .54 caliber. I then promptly stripped the stock and refinished it to my liking. I made a leather butt-cuff to: 1) lengthen it 2) remove the curve 3) serve as recoil pad 4) provide protection. I also bedded the tang, barrel and trigger frame. This rifle likes a lot of powder and for whatever reason it is most accurate with Triple 7 (believe me I tried lots of powders in different amounts). With a .530 ball and .018 patch it consistently shoots small groups at 100-yards (using the set trigger and off the bench). The sights are "adjustable" and I am sure nothing like a real Hawken. Nonetheless, it is lightweight, somewhat short, easy handling and with my stock alterations the sights are lined up when I throw it to my shoulder. It loads easy and cleans easy and has been totally reliable. I have much more expensive rifles, longrifles (much longer) and shorter rifles. However if I was going to leave right now for a hunt with no range time prior this is the rifle I'd grab. Almost anything else I have is used for a specific type of hunt and I check it at the range sometime shortly before the hunt. This "Hawken" is ready to roll at any time and always proved its worth.

For years , every time I got an order from Track I would buy 50 or 100 flints , I did a stock take a couple of weeks ago and found I had over 1200 Brandon Flints and 300 French Honey flints , so I now have enough to last me the rest of my life . Funny thing no 11 caps are in short supply here in New Zealand . And you are quite right , people ask for flints " they are only rock so you can easily get more " type conversation I have made Jasper flints and they work well , and am investigating a source of chert in a nearby river .

I've got a couple of hundred Brandon Flints put away, and only use wooden substitutes for dry firing; will always be on the hunt for more Flints though.
I've used chipped out Glass shards as an experiment but they don't last long, will look into Jasper and Chert possibilities over here in Aussie land.

I've got a couple of hundred Brandon Flints put away, and only use wooden substitutes for dry firing; will always be on the hunt for more Flints though.
I've used chipped out Glass shards as an experiment but they don't last long, will look into Jasper and Chert possibilities over here in Aussie land.
Jasper flints are cut not napped , the ones I have are a beautiful red green and blue colour . I have also used white agate cut flints from Germany , they are also very good . I believe, because cut flints are an even thickness , even pressure is applied across the whole flint , making it unlikely to move in the jaws.

For years , every time I got an order from Track I would buy 50 or 100 flints , I did a stock take a couple of weeks ago and found I had over 1200 Brandon Flints and 300 French Honey flints , so I now have enough to last me the rest of my life . Funny thing no 11 caps are in short supply here in New Zealand . And you are quite right , people ask for flints " they are only rock so you can easily get more " type conversation I have made Jasper flints and they work well , and am investigating a source of chert in a nearby river .
It’s easier for me to make caps and buy the components than buy caps or flints right now. Pretty easy with some basic chemistry knowledge.

I was considering the Leman rifle, any advice is welcome.
My best advice is to find someone with a Leman that will let you shoulder it, and ideally fire it so you can decide if it fits you right. Everyone is different, but personally the Leman is a perfect fit for me and they are still attractive

My best advice is to find someone with a Leman that will let you shoulder it, and ideally fire it so you can decide if it fits you right. Everyone is different, but personally the Leman is a perfect fit for me and they are still attractive

I had the chance to handle one in the 80's, here in Australia Green River Rifle Works made Muzzle loading wonders and they had a Leman rifle in stock at the time; it impressed me. Nowadays being an ol Boy I have more than a few "Has to haves" like Set Triggers, Snail bolster for percussion nipple, and a full stock.

Is that up the Blue Duck (Ure)? finding some not full of flaws is the hard part, some I have picked up was good enough for starting a fire with a steel striker. But never found any good enough for a usable size flint.

Is that up the Blue Duck (Ure)? finding some not full of flaws is the hard part, some I have picked up was good enough for starting a fire with a steel striker. But never found any good enough for a usable size flint.
Yep I have never found flint there that would make a rifle flint . I have read where chert can be found on the beach at the river mouth , so I will have a look when I get the time , it is not urgent .

Theres a stretch of Beach on the east coast of Australia that was some large nodules on Flint washed up from time to time; believed to be old Ships ballast; I've got a few of them still but havent tried to harvest Gun flints off them.

PS, Dont ask me where it is, I dont want some of the quick buck boys taking them all and making $$$$ out of us.

Here in New Zealand one can find flint nodules in all sort of backwater inlets and ports where ships coming to NZ for timber , flax and tree gum would come here in flint ballast and leave mounds behind . Flint nodules being rounded were less likely to damage the ships hold than rubble , and it didn't pack in so tight it couldn't be dug out . Trouble is most have been buried by silt and time.

Here in New Zealand one can find flint nodules in all sort of backwater inlets and ports where ships coming to NZ for timber , flax and tree gum would come here in flint ballast and leave mounds behind . Flint nodules being rounded were less likely to damage the ships hold than rubble , and it didn't pack in so tight it couldn't be dug out . Trouble is most have been buried by silt and time.

I had the chance to handle one in the 80's, here in Australia Green River Rifle Works made Muzzle loading wonders and they had a Leman rifle in stock at the time; it impressed me. Nowadays being an ol Boy I have more than a few "Has to haves" like Set Triggers, Snail bolster for percussion nipple, and a full stock.
There versions of a Leman with full stocks and set triggers, but all I have seen were flint or had a drum and nipple

Horsemen!!
Yes, indeed! It was an equestrian culture, if you could call mountain man society a culture at all. I believe it was Ruxton who commented that a man afoot was in a bad situation.

Frederick Remington was a bit late to have witnessed the Rocky Mountain fur trade first hand, but he had a good sense of the realities of that time when he drew this illustration:

Trapper.jpg

...and this one...

White Trapper.jpg

Everybody rode horses. Or, some approximation thereof...

Colorado Frontiersmen.jpg

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I really enjoy my .54 GPR aka Hawken, I cut the barrel down to 31 inches and replaced the lock with an L&R fluxed the stock for that one of a kind look. I must admit I am wanting a .54 Kibler Colonial in cherry or walnut but can't decide on the wood lol.

Attachments

• 20210929_104331.jpg
    20210929_104331.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 55
There are just so many different rifle models out there, but in the end if I were to be stuck with just one gun....it would be a Hawken. I've owned a bunch of them over the years and still have a full stock one that's super accurate...but heavy. If I were to be stuck with just one rifle, I think I'd have to go back to something similar to the old TC Hawkens. Given all the uses they have for a guy, they just fill in all the blanks.

I really enjoy my .54 GPR aka Hawken, I cut the barrel down to 31 inches and replaced the lock with an L&R fluxed the stock for that one of a kind look. I must admit I am wanting a .54 Kibler Colonial in cherry or walnut but can't decide on the wood lol.

You should show us more pics of that rifle.

What does Flux the stock mean?

Remember you can heat up flints in the fire and they knap better and spark better.
If they have been heated once,leave them alone. Flintlocks are all the craze because
they are "off the grid' and do not require caps or primers. In California if you try
to buy modern ammo--you have to register the gun. Will this ever happen for BP?
Who knows. BUT With Flintlock you bypass the choke-hold of needing caps
which if not available,you possibly have an unusable rifle.

Latest posts

Back