• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In praise of olive oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle Dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
About 4 or 5 weeks ago when I asked about patches and lubes olive oil was mentioned. I tried it for the last 2 weeks and am totally sold on it. the patched balls went down the barrel easily and smoothly time after time. I hardly had to swab between shots. And when I did the fowling was easily removed. I would,in my very limited experience, recommend trying olive oil.

Impossible!....Everyone knows the first rule of muzzleloading is that; lubes must be secret concoctions compounded by unscrupulous vendors under the light of a full moon..... :rotf:

P.S. Olive oil is good for cooking too.... :thumbsup:

The more information you give about yourself the
more you get inreturn...LOL

I wonder what lube the Spaniards, Greeks and Italians used....could someone research that and get back to us shortly? I just gotta know......Fred

Remember, there are newbies joining the forum and, like me, need help on the basics. all the help I have rec,d has been invaluable.

Thanks all

Olive oil probably is too simple for some shooters, but if it "works for you", use it. You're not first on this....Fred

Dave congrats on finding a lube that work . I use OO during hunting season . If I'm just plinking or doing a woods walk I shoot good ole spit patches. :hatsoff:

I've used a combo of olive oil and bees wax for years. I wasn't smart enough to think it up myself, some crotchety old timer told me about it.

I have a rifle with a new barrel (>150 shots through it) that's a bear to load with .490 balls and .015 patches. I was wondering what ball and patch combo you were using?

Thanks. I'm going to try this next trip, just curious about what to expect

Olive oil???? Olive oil???? Waaaay to simple. Can't possibly work. I agree with Clyde in his description of how a proper lube must be made but add that it must include secret incantations. Plain old olive oil.....you've got to be kidding me. "You'll put your eye out, kid." :rotf: :rotf:

I might not be using the mink oil properly...That or the barrel is still quite new. Loading using it that and the .490/.015 ball/patch combo is a might bit more difficult than I deem practical, hard enough that I worry about seating the charge firmly enough. I'm using a hickory rod and using very short strokes. :idunno:

Calls for more experimentation :grin:

Back