Quantcast

In luck! Founds some patches.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Spit (saliva) is often overlooked as a patch lube, it works great, I won a lot of shoots using it.

Mulebrain

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I used to use bore butter, Hoppes patch and lube cleaner etc... Until one day a champion match shooter grabbed my stuff, and said get rid of this, get rid of that and save your money. Been changed ever since, and just ran a five day match without cleaning. Welcome to Dawn mixed with water

It's great cause I can clean my hands with it as well

Use what you will, and the recipes and concoctions are endless. Really in a way over thought to put it mildly

Griz44Mag

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Mink tallow from TOTW - use it year round in any weather. Works great for pre-lubing for busy range days.
I buy bulk round patches from TOTW also - precut, easy to lube and stores easily in cap tins.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Cut your own patches and make your own lube. Very easy and cheap to do.
Beeswax and about any cooking oil melted together in whatever ratio that works best for you makes very good lubricant for patches, wads, and arbors on percussion revolvers.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I used to use bore butter, Hoppes patch and lube cleaner etc... Until one day a champion match shooter grabbed my stuff, and said get rid of this, get rid of that and save your money. Been changed ever since, and just ran a five day match without cleaning. Welcome to Dawn mixed with water

It's great cause I can clean my hands with it as well

Use what you will, and the recipes and concoctions are endless. Really in a way over thought to put it mildly
I suspect the Dawn and water mix only works it’s best when the shot is to be fired immediately.
For hunting, it may not be long-lasting enough.
Am I mistaken?

renegadehunter

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't/don't like the idea of a water based patch lube for a hunting application. It may foul some of the powder, it may dry out and cause the patch to not hold up so the shot is errant, and worse case it stays loaded long enough to start forming a rust ring in the barrel.
Mink oil, olive oil, rendered animal fat, bore butter or other chap stick style...lots of better options IMO for something that's going to stay in the barrel all day or even longer.

Latest posts