• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In luck! Founds some patches.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I am in luck. Found some .45 patches that I've had for years along with .58 caliber patches. Apparently I used shotgun cleaning patches for swabbing. All good finds. Won't have to order these now.

Me too. I sit in front of the fire place during the winter and make them. It's relaxing and kinda fun to do. The wife even helps.

If the patches you found were prelubricated, I would be looking for unlubricated patches. Lubrication on a cotton or linen patch will deteriorate the fabric and the result is shredded patches and no accuracy on target.

Oops...the patches are pre-lubed.

The .45/.50's are likely 20 years old and the .58's about 8 years old.

I make my cleaning patches out of old T-shirts and my shooting patches out of pillow ticking. Only cost involved roughly $20 total is for T/C No. 13 Bore Cleaner and T/C Bore Butter, both last a long time.

I bought a can of Crisco, I could use that to relube these patches, correct?

I have used pre-lubed patches that were pretty old before, had good results. I'll try them out when I get some .45 caliber balls.

Won't hurt to try them, but the concern with old patches isn't that the lube has dried out, it is that the lube has broken down the weave/threads of the patch. Old patches that are damaged will return poor accuracy due to them shredding, getting holes, etc.
Shoot them, see what your groups are, and try to recover a few to see how they're holding up. If the accuracy is acceptable, no big deal what the patches look like.

I bought a can of Crisco, I could use that to relube these patches, correct?

I have used pre-lubed patches that were pretty old before, had good results. I'll try them out when I get some .45 caliber balls.

IMO, Crisco sucks as a patch lube. It has the wrong consistency, and melts too easily.
I much prefer beeswax and olive oil mix.

45% Crisco 45% bees wax 10% olive oil you can adjust the bees wax up or down depending on the temp. A bit of A-LOX in the mix does not hurt either. Been using this in all my long rifles and smoothbore for years no problems even use it to lube bullets for the sharps. Part of the fun for me with these type weapons is the development of the needed things to go boom accurately. Why buy lube when you can go through your wifes cupboard and make it. And if she is like mine there is a bees wax candle or two somewhere in the house. You can even flavor it with oils such as cinnamon, mint what ever flavor you want. That way when you lick your fingers after loading it tastes nice. I like the cinnamon.

As fun as making my own may be, I just want to get to the range as fast as I can. Maybe later I can make my own but right now, just want to get the .45 shooting so I can practice up and hunt this year.

Thank you Nutnfancy. I have lots of TC Bore Butter.

I got lucky on my pillow ticking, it was free, I like free. Had been reading and watching videos about it and was online one day pricing some. Well, luck would have it I was needing a straight pin for another project, went to the wife's sewing box and on top was a bag of material and low and behold, about 2 yards of pillow ticking.

So, since I had that much I set myself up to shoot pillow ticking three different ways;
1.) Regular square patches
2.) In a roll I can cut off at muzzle
3.) In a roll with a slit every 1 1/2" that I can tear off at the muzzle (compliments of video by Black Powder Maniac Shooter)

Thus, I have two bags set up with these tree methods for shooting with pillow ticking patches; one for .50 cal. and the other for .54 cal. plus I have some T/C pre-lubed patches.

Find Bore Butter works ok at best in the Fall and Spring. Runs like water in the heat of Summer and is hard as a rock in the cold of Winter. There are many other options that work much better in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back