• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

(Improved) Homemade Pin Drilling Jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/homemade-pin-drilling-jig.142283/
So as a continuation of my previous post above, I have made an improved jig that requires less parts, is easier to make and more durable. It is especially easier on the smaller 1/16” drill bit. I snapped 2 bits trying to drill through the nylon bolts of the old design. This tool will also give you a wider working area than the previous version. Essentially all you need is a c-clamp and a few hand tools.

Cut off the swivel head

Cut the remaining shaft so that @ 1/8” sticks out each side

Peen the ends of the shaft so that it swages until it DOESNT ROTATE, if you swage it to much you risk cracking the casting.

File a flat on the opposite fixed pad so the drill bit will not want to “wander”

Make alignment marks on the side and top to aid with drill bit alignment

Center punch for hole

Drill hole, go slow, clear chips and oil regularly. Go into other side about 3/8”, making certain drill bit DIDN’T wander off center

Cutoff about 1/2” piece off end of long drill bit or equivalent 1/16” pin stock

Sharpen to point and glue in place

Enjoy your new pin drilling jig!!!

Pics below
F197898C-F1E5-4586-87FA-0ACDA72E1255.jpeg

Last edited:
On your first one I'd wondered why the nylon. I figured I'd use the clamp bolt like you're doing on this one.

No need to peen the shaft in place. Some red loctite would be plenty sufficient.

Also, since I've got a lathe, I'd chuck up the short bit of cut-off shaft and drill it that way.

A two inch is plenty big enough? Just wondering...

On your first one I'd wondered why the nylon. I figured I'd use the clamp bolt like you're doing on this one.

No need to peen the shaft in place. Some red loctite would be plenty sufficient.

Also, since I've got a lathe, I'd chuck up the short bit of cut-off shaft and drill it that way.

A two inch is plenty big enough? Just wondering...
I’ve only assembled kits where the stock has already been mostly shaped and slimmed so 2” has been plenty wide.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/homemade-pin-drilling-jig.142283/
So as a continuation of my previous post above, I have made an improved jig that requires less parts, is easier to make and more durable. It is especially easier on the smaller 1/16” drill bit. I snapped 2 bits trying to drill through the nylon bolts of the old design. This tool will also give you a wider working area than the previous version. Essentially all you need is a c-clamp and a few hand tools.

Cut off the swivel head

Cut the remaining shaft so that @ 1/8” sticks out each side

Peen the ends of the shaft so that it swages until it DOESNT ROTATE, if you swage it to much you risk cracking the casting.

File a flat on the opposite fixed pad so the drill bit will not want to “wander”

Make alignment marks on the side and top to aid with drill bit alignment

Center punch for hole

Drill hole, go slow, clear chips and oil regularly. Go into other side about 3/8”, making certain drill bit DIDN’T wander off center

Cutoff about 1/2” piece off end of long drill bit or equivalent 1/16” pin stock

Sharpen to point and glue in place

Enjoy your new pin drilling jig!!!

Pics below
View attachment 148730
Great idea ! I use my drill press with the center/alignment stud in the table which accomplishes the same function but this is great for folks using hand tools only!

Back