• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I'm trying to find a 24ga/.58 cal. smooth pistol barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallShot

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a 24 ga/.58 cal smooth bore pistol barrel for sale. Preferably 10-12 inch, octagon to round. Doing a pistol build to match my fowler. I'm not having much luck locating one so any info would be greatly appreciated!

I don't see a .58 caliber barrel on their web site but Log Cabin sells barrels made by Ed Rayl, a well known barrel maker.

Follow this link to Log Cabins web site to see what they have.

http://logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=183_165_152_33

You might want to give them a phone call too and ask them if they can get the barrel you want or possibly they know how to contact Ed.

Their phone number is, (330) 948-1082 or E-Mail them at [email protected]

Be aware of the fact that many of the places that sell muzzleloading supplies aren't really up to speed on running computers and when there are National Muzzleloading shooting events going on, they might be out of town visiting the shoot, so if you E-Mail them it might take a while for them to get back to you.

I don't see a .58 caliber barrel on their web site but Log Cabin sells barrels made by Ed Rayl, a well known barrel maker.

Follow this link to Log Cabins web site to see what they have.

http://logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=183_165_152_33

You might want to give them a phone call too and ask them if they can get the barrel you want or possibly they know how to contact Ed.

Their phone number is, (330) 948-1082 or E-Mail them at [email protected]

Be aware of the fact that many of the places that sell muzzleloading supplies aren't really up to speed on running computers and when there are National Muzzleloading shooting events going on, they might be out of town visiting the shoot, so if you E-Mail them it might take a while for them to get back to you.

Something else to consider is that so
I've been trying to find a 24 ga/.58 cal smooth bore pistol barrel for sale. Preferably 10-12 inch, octagon to round. Doing a pistol build to match my fowler. I'm not having much luck locating one so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Be aware some of those barrel guys are backlogged for months at a time, and for special " oddball " orders, could be a year or more.
Or at least that used to be the case.

Might be different now that those of us that like the traditional muzzleloaders are dying off, or just getting to where we can't see the sights, or get to matches or other gatherings anymore.

I'd think maybe a guy could just pick up a used barrel and send it to Robert Hoyt. He could ream out one to .58 in no time. I had him do a TC barrel for me and it came back quickly and he did a nice job on it. Not too pricey either !

Try Muzzleloader Builders Supply? Somebody must have them, you'd think!

I made a .62 smooth Hawken type pistol by drilling out the rifling on a .62 rifled barrel years ago. It was octagon and I left it that way. Several years later I built a pistol doing the same thing but this time I hand profiled the barrel to tapered octagon to round with wedding bands. It really was not very difficult. Took a bit of file time but not bad. The tough part was actually getting the round part but I made a turner using a drill and some made fittings that worked great with my files.

Just some thoughts.

Back