• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I'm Too Fat on Bowie Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one I made for myself 30 years ago it's sort of a bowie style with a narrower blade, it's referred to as a longhunter style. It has a 8 1/2 in blade and is 13 1/2 overall.
I made the handle out of a piece of elk antler.
It has a threaded tang and the cross guard is silver soldered in place.
I shaped the brass pommel after threading it and tightening down.
It's a pretty formattable weapon and I certainly wouldn't feel under armed if I had to use it in a knife fight.

That looks like it could certainly cut the mustard, Andy - VERY nice ! :thumb:

That looks like it could certainly cut the mustard, Andy - VERY nice ! :thumb:
Thank you I put a lot of work into that knife. I made a pair of knives at the same time here's the smaller companion to the larger one. The smaller one gets used much more often than the bigger one. I carry them in a double sheath with the smaller one mounted on top of the larger one.

Attachments

• IMGP0699.JPG
    IMGP0699.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 49
Here is an exact copy of the famous MUSSO BOWIE knife, now owned by Phil Collins. I made the knife to within .010/.012 of the specs on the blue print made by Joe Musso himself. Hope you enjoy a look. Blade is 01 steel, 13 3/4" long, 7/32" thick that tapers to 3/16". About 2 1/2"/2 5/8" at widest . Grip is ebonized maple. The original wood is thought to be ebonized oak. Weight is 1lb. 12oz. As large as it is, it is surprisingly very easily maneuvered and well balanced. If you will notice, the grind starts as a hollow, then blends to a convex about midway.

Latest posts

Back