Quantcast

I'm Too Fat on Bowie Knives

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bill Rowe

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Very fine collection, I make knives my self, I use D-2 steel , and like deer horn for handles. I do appreciate the coffin handles, as you do a very nice job. I always admired the bowie style, and have fashioned most my knife to that affect. I do like the double edge Michigan toothpicks I have made though. Sorta like a Roman short sword . Only two pictured not produced by me are the little Damascus daggers, bought on Evil bay, I re-handled. Again a very nice collection.

Attachments

Pietro

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm likin' your handiwork, Bill - congrats on jobs well done ! :)

andy52

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If I were going to choose a Bowie it would probably be the sandbar style, I just like the overall style of the knife.

Attachments

andy52

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Sweeet, andy - a very refined knife !
Refined enough for Jim to live after that sandbar encounter barely, even though his probably didn't look as good as the one I posted.

andy52

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one I made for myself 30 years ago it's sort of a bowie style with a narrower blade, it's referred to as a longhunter style. It has a 8 1/2 in blade and is 13 1/2 overall. I made the handle out of a piece of elk antler. It has a threaded tang and the cross guard is silver soldered in place. I shaped the brass pommel after threading it and tightening down. It's a pretty formattable weapon and I certainly wouldn't feel under armed if I had to use it in a knife fight.

Attachments

Bill Rowe

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Here's one I made for myself 30 years ago it's sort of a bowie style with a narrower blade, it's referred to as a longhunter style. It has a 8 1/2 in blade and is 13 1/2 overall. I made the handle out of a piece of elk antler. It has a threaded tang and the cross guard is silver soldered in place. I shaped the brass pommel after threading it and tightening down. It's a pretty formattable weapon and I certainly wouldn't feel under armed if I had to use it in a knife fight.
Nice job, I like the finger grooves, Elk is a tough antler to get a descent knife handle out of, the pulpy area is much more dominant then white tail , but a whole lot better than moose. Good looking piece. I found that most of my knifes are created from the antler , as you can always size the steel blade to proportions , but can not alter mother nature.

andy52

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice job, I like the finger grooves, Elk is a tough antler to get a descent knife handle out of, the pulpy area is much more dominant then white tail , but a whole lot better than moose. Good looking piece. I found that most of my knifes are created from the antler , as you can always size the steel blade to proportions , but can not alter mother nature.
That piece of elk came off a very large rack and very near the tip where the antler is denser. Most of the softer center portion was drilled out for the tang. Even so I had to be really careful with the shaping as not to get into the center portion. When the knife was newly made the handle looked almost like ivory.

Shiloh1944

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If I were going to choose a Bowie it would probably be the sandbar style, I just like the overall style of the knife.
andy52, I am not trying to dispute your thoughts about that being the style used by Jim Bowie, but it is actually a Searles style that was originally fashioned by Daniel Searles of Baton Rouge, Louisiana and commissioned by Rezin Bowie, brother of James Bowie.

andy52

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
andy52, I am not trying to dispute your thoughts about that being the style used by Jim Bowie, but it is actually a Searles style that was originally fashioned by Daniel Searles of Baton Rouge, Louisiana and commissioned by Rezin Bowie, brother of James Bowie.
Absolutely correct about the origins of the knife in question. If legend has it correct Rezin gave or let Jim barrow the knife used at the sandbar.

Latest posts