• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Im new to BP.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally, no, the smoothbore is not as accurate. It can be accurate enough, though.

The round ball has a very low ballistic coefficient causing it to lose velocity rapidly. Past 75 yards or so, even a rifle has lost enough velocity to be marginal at killing quickly and cleanly. The smoothbore usually can be used to 50-60 yards successfully, so there isn't a lot of difference in the real world.

Give equal sights at short range (25 yards) the smooth bore shoots very well. If you want to hit at 100 yards a rifle will be needed. A smooth will handle shot better.
Generally, no, the smoothbore is not as accurate. It can be accurate enough, though.

The round ball has a very low ballistic coefficient causing it to lose velocity rapidly. Past 75 yards or so, even a rifle has lost enough velocity to be marginal at killing quickly and cleanly. The smoothbore usually can be used to 50-60 yards successfully, so there isn't a lot of difference in the real world.
Thanks Pilot

I’ll answer the why shoot one part of your question. They can be loads of fun for one and very satisfying to make good hits once you become proficient with one. It’s why anyone would shoot traditional arms when there are modern ones that will definitely outperform the old ones. It’s a reward you get from many years of practice that not everyone can or is willing to strive for. I shoot plain long bows or semi long bows and over time have become pretty proficient with them. It’s the same thing as shooting a period correct Smooth Bore gun, self satisfaction in a discipline that requires practice and skill.

Is smooth bore as accurate as a rifled bore? If not, why shoot a smooth bore. I'm new at this and am wanting to learn. Thanks
As stated in previous posts, the smooth bored gun is not as accurate on target as a rifled gun. With practice and decent load development, the ball shooting smooth bored and rifled guns will have equal hunting accuracy (the edge does go to the rifle) out to 35 yards and acceptable hunting accuracy to about 60 yards.

Where the smooth bore fowling gun shines is in its flexibility to shoot both ball and shot, which the rifle shooting shot will have blown patterns resulting in loss of game at most hunting distances.

Those of us that have taken the time to tune our locks and develop good loads have found that our smooth bores give up little to rifles. Long distance shooting is of course another story.

Once we understand the limitations of our smooth bored guns, we become more successful hunters.

The why we shoot smooth bored guns, is that sense of accomplishment that we have overcome the limitations of our firearm.

Last edited:
Welcome from Beaver County PA. This is definitely the place to ask questions and learn. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum. I’ve only been a member for a month and I’ve learned so much! Good luck!

I’ll answer the why shoot one part of your question. They can be loads of fun for one and very satisfying to make good hits once you become proficient with one. It’s why anyone would shoot traditional arms when there are modern ones that will definitely outperform the old ones. It’s a reward you get from many years of practice that not everyone can or is willing to strive for. I shoot plain long bows or semi long bows and over time have become pretty proficient with them. It’s the same thing as shooting a period correct Smooth Bore gun, self satisfaction in a discipline that requires practice and skill.
Well put, thanks man. I see your point.

frankie, Here's what a smoothbore is capable of @ 50 yd. with a patched .598" RB (20 ga. trade gun, Green River Forge mfg.) I sure hope it's repeatable, but even if not, it has been a long and mostly productive journey. Btw, that's five shots 3.5" center-to-center with the flyer.

Attachments

• IMG_6455.jpeg
    IMG_6455.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
Frankie, Smoothbores are alot like modern day shot guns. They are far more versatile inside 50 yards. Alot depends on if you hunt and what type of game you are after. If you hunt small game and waterfowl like I do but also hunt larger size game like pigs and deer then a Smoothbore is perfect for you. Also where I hunt deer and pigs most shots are under 50 yards. In the end it all depends on what you intend to do and how you intend on going about doing it. This forum is an outstanding place to learn.

Is smooth bore as accurate as a rifled bore? If not, why shoot a smooth bore. I'm new at this and am wanting to learn. Thanks

Why? In short, to connect with our history, as smoothbores came first...another reason is the same reason our ancestors stuck with them even after rifles became available. They are more versatile: having adequate accuracy with a ball for deer or bear hunting, the ability to load with shot for small game and fowl, thus functioning as a shotgun, or buck and ball for man. They are easier to load, faster to load, less sensitive to fouling, easier to clean, need cleaned less often...quite interesting guns indeed. It's not hard to see why guys like them so much. Sometimes there is more to a firearm than just precision, and a smoothbore captures that idea.

Our houses have forced central heating, why do we sit around the fire. The grocery store has all the food we could want, why do we grow a garden, brew beer, look up at the night sky, climb mountains, make love. There is an easier, more efficient, less costly way to do everything. Why? Because it is carved into the very depths of our being to find the old guys that are gone, to find them in our hearts and honor them.

Why? In short, to connect with our history, as smoothbores came first...another reason is the same reason our ancestors stuck with them even after rifles became available. They are more versatile: having adequate accuracy with a ball for deer or bear hunting, the ability to load with shot for small game and fowl, thus functioning as a shotgun, or buck and ball for man. They are easier to load, faster to load, less sensitive to fouling, easier to clean, need cleaned less often...quite interesting guns indeed. It's not hard to see why guys like them so much. Sometimes there is more to a firearm than just precision, and a smoothbore captures that idea.
well put rooster. I still like driving my 1983 jeep J10. My toyota tundra sits in the driveway.

Last edited:
frankie, Here's what a smoothbore is capable of @ 50 yd. with a patched .598" RB (20 ga. trade gun, Green River Forge mfg.) I sure hope it's repeatable, but even if not, it has been a long and mostly productive journey. Btw, that's five shots 3.5" center-to-center with the flyer.
Thanks Maven for posting that.

My pops .69 Springfield civil war reenactment gun is about a 14 gauge and since it’s smoothbore could potentially be an excellent turkey gun and bear gun in one.

I also shoot a modified 1842 Springfield in smoothbore competition. When I'm instructing, it does double duty as a cylinder bore 14ga shotgun and will mow down skeet. It's modified in the sense that it's cut down the way the Confederate arsenal in Macon, Ga did during the War to return damaged guns back to service.

For our competition, we aren't allowed to patch with anything so it's bare ball all the way. Here's a pic of my smoothbore and a 25yd off hand target. That's 7 shot on target, 5 in the main hole and 2 flyers.
42Macon.jpg

I'm new at this and am wanting to learn. Thanks
You have come to the right place. Plenty to learn and some things to make you go hhhmmm 🤔 . Anyway, if you have something to add, jump right on in. Folks around here are generally friendly, but you will encounter the occasional grump. Don't let them get your feathers ruffled.

Back