• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Im new to BP.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have come to the right place. Plenty to learn and some things to make you go hhhmmm 🤔 . Anyway, if you have something to add, jump right on in. Folks around here are generally friendly, but you will encounter the occasional grump. Don't let them get your feathers ruffled.
Thanks Ord. I quickly realized the members trying to help others. Great forum. They say there are videos on how to unstuck a round ball but I cant find it. I figured they would have a catagory on "video's) Ill keep looking and check youtube. The rifles they are posting from kit builds I had no idea these existed. There are some real professional builders on here and everybody has been really helpful. Thanks again.

Thanks Ord. I quickly realized the members trying to help others. Great forum. They say there are videos on how to unstuck a round ball but I cant find it. I figured they would have a catagory on "video's) Ill keep looking and check youtube. The rifles they are posting from kit builds I had no idea these existed. There are some real professional builders on here and everybody has been really helpful. Thanks again.

BP Manic, a member here, has a Utoob video on how to shoot one out.

We've got a lot of threads on stuck balls. Just use the search function and browse. If you don't find your answer that way, it may help you at least frame a particular question so folks can offer some help.
Welcome, and as far as your original question, I went after a smoothbore flintlock (a fowling piece) for the complete versatility. I can carry shot and ball. I can hunt everything here in Pennsylvania with it in every gun season. Like the post above, I also shoot longbow and appreciate the challenge that primitive weapons offer.
One word of warning, this stuff can get a bit consuming (addictive). Go slow, ask questions, don't rush purchases, and enjoy the ride. Shooting muzzleloaders is what you choose to make of it.

@frankie, ther are several ways to remove a stuck ball. The method chosen may depend upon how the ball is stuck and the quality of your ram rod.

Do search on the forum for grease video by member @Idaho Ron. The grease gun always works.

The next is the situation where the ball is at the breech and there may be no powder or the flash channel is blocked or the powder is fouled. Your only tools are your nipple wrench and the dry powder you are carrying. Remove the nipple. If you have a pick, clean under the nipple seat and trickle in some powder. Reinstall the nipple and fire the ball out. A high-pressure CO2 ball remover is an alternative. In these cases you must make sure that ball is firmly seated at the breech.

Other methods of pulling rhe ball or bullet exist. I'll let you peruse all those pages on your own.

Warning, I'm not a hippy 🤣. I'm actually growing my hair to donate it to make a wig for children.

@frankie, ther are several ways to remove a stuck ball. The method chosen may depend upon how the ball is stuck and the quality of your ram rod.

Do search on the forum for grease video by member @Idaho Ron. The grease gun always works.

The next is the situation where the ball is at the breech and there may be no powder or the flash channel is blocked or the powder is fouled. Your only tools are your nipple wrench and the dry powder you are carrying. Remove the nipple. If you have a pick, clean under the nipple seat and trickle in some powder. Reinstall the nipple and fire the ball out. A high-pressure CO2 ball remover is an alternative. In these cases you must make sure that ball is firmly seated at the breech.

Other methods of pulling rhe ball or bullet exist. I'll let you peruse all those pages on your own.
Thanks for the info I did find some good videos on youtube,

Back