• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm back to black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We live in Meridian, Idaho. Just purchased a Pedersoli .50 cal. Hawken, had it to the range a few times. I love that roar, the smoke, and the solid recoil, it makes all the pent up frustrations disappear. The Hawken shoots MUCH better than I do. I am amazed at the grouping I get at 75 yards, bench rest. Originally, way back when, I put together a CVA .45 cal. Kentucky back in 1981 or 1982. Shot it for many years and loved it. When we moved, I gave my entire black powder kit to my son. Big mistake. Oh, he loves black powder but I had no idea how much I would miss it. So here I am. Again. 🙂

Awesome! Glad to hear you’re back in the game. It’s a very therapeutic experience.

(PS: without a pic it didn’t happen! We’re a visual crowd here)

My bad. Here 'tis...... Pedersoli .50 cal Hawken. So far my best combination is 70 gr. RS with a patched round ball, .495 RB with .oo6 lubed cotton patch. I am using Pyrodex because that's all we can find around here. It works okay but I miss the fog and flame of FFG. 28" barrel with a 1 in 48 twist.

210524-001 rev B.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Homedale, ID. You should run up to Cascade next weekend as there is a Mountain Man Rendezvous. idahofreetrapper.org

It depends on what's running at Meridian Speedway. I love shooting, specially black powder but I [insert the wife for "I"] have varied interests. :ghostly: Happy wife, happy life. Being married for 51+ years has taught me a little.....

Welcome back! I think once you shoot BP it stays in your blood, you come back to the smoke, flame and smell. Cleaning isn’t so bad either it’s all part of the experience.

We live in Meridian, Idaho. Just purchased a Pedersoli .50 cal. Hawken, had it to the range a few times. I love that roar, the smoke, and the solid recoil, it makes all the pent up frustrations disappear. The Hawken shoots MUCH better than I do. I am amazed at the grouping I get at 75 yards, bench rest. Originally, way back when, I put together a CVA .45 cal. Kentucky back in 1981 or 1982. Shot it for many years and loved it. When we moved, I gave my entire black powder kit to my son. Big mistake. Oh, he loves black powder but I had no idea how much I would miss it. So here I am. Again. 🙂
Welcome, enjoy

My bad. Here 'tis...... Pedersoli .50 cal Hawken. So far my best combination is 70 gr. RS with a patched round ball, .495 RB with .oo6 lubed cotton patch. I am using Pyrodex because that's all we can find around here. It works okay but I miss the fog and flame of FFG. 28" barrel with a 1 in 48 twist.

View attachment 81011
I have that rifle in LH, it’s fun to shoot, I just shot a perfect score on silhouettes at our last shoot (it was the short course!). Your load is very close to mine, my patch is .010 muslin using TOTW mink oil.

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to black powder!
Hey, I will have to look you up when I visit my parents this Fall - you might be their neighbor as they live in Meridian too!

I am hoping to take my father shooting this time, he has never shot flintlock and I fear I dont have much time left to share with him - however I am not sure where we can go there? Here in Nevada I pretty much just pick a dirt road out I to BLM and find a a hill...

Back