• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Im an idiot, HELP!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I'm going to try tomorrow doing it 10 times. If that doesn't do it I'll clean it as best I can and find a good gunsmith.

for those following along at home, I did try the brass brush jag from a 9mm pistol, wasn't large enough.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I bought a gun off this forum today because as I've learned, it always helps to have a backup rifle.

I wasn't instructing you to try again.
For starters you need some smaller powder than 2F
The time to have tried was in the beginning, now you have it cleaned and oiled and that oil needs to be removed before you can try again.

You can try again if you want, but my advice is,

Take the gun to someone who knows what they are doing, and if you watch, you will learn a lot.

Is it the end where the jag screws in if so the threaded hole may go all the way thru..... if so it will be nearly impossible too shoot it out.

The brass brush will be your best bet...

Okay I'm going to try tomorrow doing it 10 times. If that doesn't do it I'll clean it as best I can and find a good gunsmith.

for those following along at home, I did try the brass brush jag from a 9mm pistol, wasn't large enough.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I bought a gun off this forum today because as I've learned, it always helps to have a backup rifle.
Try a .357 brush. It should stick in the ram rod end, if not try a 40 caliber brush.

There is something that I keep remembering about the Jonathan Browning Mountain rifles and the breech plug. I would be very cautious about trying to remove the breech plug as I recall that the plug was silver soldered in place. I hope that I am wrong. Take it to a gunsmith.
Edit: I have found one reference on another board that the owner of a BMR pulled the breech plug. So that option should exist. Still I recommend taking your rifle to a Black Powder Muzzle Loading Gunsmith to remove and replace the breech plug. Replacing after removing the rod tip of course.

The method of using a bit of epoxy with the rod taped to keep it centered in the bore sounds good to me. Once the epoxy sets, it will be time to try the powder in the chamber to shoot it out. As much of the passages in the jag need to be blocked.

Last edited:
Not too awful long ago, I was swabbing the bore at the range and on the upward pull of the rod, I had a "boop" and the lower end of the rod had come off with the patched jag on it. First thing that came to mind was the air compressor at work. VERY large tank and 5 horse compressor, like 1500 pounds unregulated line pressure. I took a blow gun with a rubber tip and jammed it in the nipple hole and hit the go button. "POOF" goes the plug, sailing across the shop to dent the overhead door on the far side.
Fortunately, it was pointed in a safe direction. That was back when I thought I didnt "need" to pin the ramrod ends. Now, ALL ramrod ends get pinned as thy are being made. Mandatory, no exceptions!

Own a couple of JBMR’s and have had a drop in bore light stuck in them on more than one occasion? That funneled in breech area can be a bear if something gets lodged down in there.

As far as the barrel and breech plug/ hook on the back? The barrel and breech plug on these rifles are extremely beefy and solid built. The hook on the back of the plug is thick and wide with a low profile.

Now I can get to my point my friend. Please bare with me?

I’ll tell ya what you need to do from experiencing your situation more then once myself.

Grip the back end of the barrel with muzzle facing the floor. This will expose the back end of the breech plug.

Take a small brass headed hammer and squarely give the back of the hook a sharp wack! Don’t worry? You definitely won’t damage that hook! Guessed I better throw that in before others start freaking out?

It definitely works my friend. With the muzzle off the floor, coupled with the shock vibration running down through the barrel, caused by an abrupt sharp sudden impact on the back end? That stuck object will shoot out of there like a missile! LOL

Lastly, I’ve modified a drop in bore light just for my JBMR’s since my several occasions of getting them stuck in that funky breech area. Pop sickle stick, waxed dental floss, part of an ink pen cap. Drop the light in and pull the light out!

Respectfully, Cowboy EA35373A-D0E3-4283-9AD1-C21C5A39F402.jpegC12653E0-5569-40F4-AEE8-F19F09CD7231.jpeg8212591D-BDEC-4453-88A7-89F2137FFFE0.jpeg993E8E7B-6E1B-453B-B25D-1E2835DE5998.jpeg

Try a .357 brush. It should stick in the ram rod end, if not try a 40 caliber brush.
I use a .45 brush to remove a 9 mm brass case that's separated in the chamber. Don't twist it in; push it in so the bristles are pointed backward to "stab" the inner walls of the ramrod tip.

A word of caution: Most common brushes have the twisted shaft of the brush crimped into the threaded portion that attaches to the cleaning rod. This pulls apart rather easily. You could end up with a brush stuck in ramrod tip that's stuck in the bore. A worse mess. (When removing separated cases using this technique I push them out, so pulling a brush apart isn't a problem. But that's working with a barrel that's open at both ends.)

I, personally, would try "thumping" the barrel muzzle down on a wood block on a concrete floor before giving up. But, perhaps the best advice I've seen here is to take the barrel to someone who knows what he's doing.

I'm doing a phone consult tonight with a gunsmith, barrel is probably going on a field trip here pretty soon. Ordering a new ramrod from track and I'll be pinning it this time!

Imagine how easy this would be if these guns were designed with a little 1/4 or 3/16 plug threaded right down the center of the hooked breach? I see in the photo, there is already a center hole started. I know this does not help the OP. I am just saying there is always room for little improvements.

One constructive idea, a heavy gauge steel wire could be pushed threw the hole when the nipple was removed.

I've used a brass brush to remove the remains of a broken .357 case in a carbine,
definitely would be worth a try. Shooting it out is not a good idea, my brother had this happen on a CVA Mountain Rifle. We put 4 grains of 4-F in the nipple hole, capped it, pointed it straight down and fired it. We dig down about 8" unable to recover it the tip.

AntiqueSledMan.

air has been my best friend first time I got a jag stuck a air compressor got it out second time a bullet got stuck co2 discharger third time a co2 dischjarger

Lol 1500 lbs? And on a 5 hp compressor? I thought it was texas where everything was bigger
In the navy, we had more than that for torpedo air chambers in the Mk. 14 steam torpedos. On another wire guided torpedo, they used a precision wire payout tube about 3 ft. long. Then there was this wax we had down there. Made up some wax balls and shot one into a door by accident. Put a mighty dent in that door. We had about 2500 psi.

It sounds like the tip is stuck in the powder chamber of the patent breech, not in the barrel itself. I would pour some Kroil or PT Blaster does there and let it sit for a day. Then get a threaded rod that would be tight fit in the tip. File the end of the rod to a quick taper. run it down the bore and tap it into the tip to get it started then try to turn the rod in with vise grips as far as it will go. Put some heat on the breech with a propane torch and then twist and pull o the rod. If that doesn't work pull the breech plug. Put the barrel in a firmly mounted vice. Pad it with wood blocks. If you can get some rosin, put it on the blocks and crank down on the barrel as hard as you can. Make sure the barrel extends around 3 inches from the vise. Heat the breech end. Put a big crescent wrench on the breech hook. If you have a cheater bar that will fit, use it. If the vise and bench are solid with no give, the plug should come out.

If you have water trapped down bore then I would get some W-40 (water displacing oil) in there,then stand the barrel muzzle down to drain it. WD-40 can then be evaporated more quickly with acetone before trying to dislodge it with powder.

Through my own stupidity/ineptitude/moronic acts, once stuck a 50 caliber brush "all the way down" and then twisted off the threaded portion.

Removed nipple, dribbled 4F into the touch hole and shot it out.

**Note** It did NOT go on the first try. Simply dribbling in touch hole didn't place enough powder in the correct location. Using a wire vent pick, I had to work the 4F through said touch hole and into the chamber area. Total charge in my case was in the 5 to 10 grain range. This amount will not injure your rifle in any way, but only attempt this at a range - not in the basement workshop.

Forgot to say - in my case a CO2 discharger was not an option as the brush was not a solid object. I have had great success using said discharger to clear many a dry-balled rifle created by inattentive teenagers during 4H Shooting Sports practice sessions. In some cases two projectiles came out. The earlier responses using compressed air could solve your problem.

Latest posts

Back