• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I'm already frustrated, and I've had the gun 30 minutes!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 1/16 dia hardened music wire for all the pins in my builds....it's very uniform in dia so all the pins can be driven in or out w/o a whole lot of force. After finishing the stock, I hand twist a 1/16 drill in each hole to clean out any finish. I start on one side and twist the drill through and out the other side....have never had any splintering on the far side.

The pins w/ a chamfer on both ends should nearly be able to be pushed in w/ a finger. although I use a section of soft pine board to push the pins flush w/ the stock. My home made drift is a section of Allen wrench w/ the corners stoned off for a nice fit w/ the hole.....the end has a slight chamfer for easy starting in the hole. The section of Allen wrench is pushed into a hole drilled into a square length of brass.

Because the drift has a tendency to "skate" off the pin, a firm grip on the drift keeps the drift centered on the pin when lightly struck w/ a small hammer. When both ends of the pins are below the stock surface, some dark shoe polish hides the pins. This is a fairly long post for what should be a simple task.... but many pin holes can be buggered up.....Fred
I tend to run a bit a little more than halfway through then do the other side. Impossible to splinter the opposite side. There isn't one.

wm

Back