• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I'm a rookie who's anxious to learn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a retired guy with more time than money, and I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of shooting these last couple years. I pretty much taught myself how to reload ammo for my rifles and pistols (with a lot of internet research), and that's gone well for me as I like spending time at my reloading bench.

I thought I'd like to branch out with a black powder rifle although I've never fired one and don't really know too much about it. I've looked at a few forums dedicated to muzzleloading and this one seems to be a good one so I'll hang around and see what knowledge I can soak up.

I went ahead and ordered a cheap flintlock as a starting point, but I probably won't get it for another week or two. In the meantime I'm getting together the supplies I think I'll need.

I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road as I get my feet wet but that's all part of the experience in any new endeavor.
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Best advice I can give you starting out in black powder muzzleloaders is read until your eyes pop out! I mean everything! Types of muzzleloaders, types of ignition, powder, balls, bullets, loading procedures, cleaning and maintenance and above all, safety. I've had a muzzleloader for well over 15 years. I've really only been shooting them the last few years. The only damage I've seen or injuries I've heard of were almost all shooter related. There's a wealth of knowledge here on this forum that can help you minimize or even eliminate any kind of mechanical or procedural failure. We all have dry balled at one time or another so start there, the best way to extract a dry ball. In many cases you don't even have to ask the question, just do a search for an existing thread. If that doesn't work, go ahead and ask. We all have asked questions to. It really is a great sport and I'm sure as an already seasoned shooter you'll appreciate the intricacies and how surprisingly accurate these guns can be.

You didn't tell us what you're starting off with yet. Some of the lower cost flintlocks do just fine, while others are hit and miss.

I have ordered a Traditions Deerhunter 50 caliber flintlock which should arrive in a week or two. I don't have a lot of money and figured this will at least get me started. My understanding is that with flintlocks the lock is the key piece, so I assume that I could upgrade that in the future if I'm unhappy with the one that comes on it.
Of perhaps buy a higher quality gun later if I don't like this one. I accept that there will be some problems with an entry level piece and I'm not afraid to tweak things.

It was mentioned how addicting this hobby is and you will soon see.Part of blackpowder shooting is the making of accessories, like bags, powder horns,nipple wrenchs etc. Even for people who couldn't ever make anything but a mess will soon find themselves making things. It's like this hobby brings out a sort of "can-do" something in you. Enjoy!

Sort of like when I started reloading ammo for my centerfire rifles and pistols, there was a lot more to it than I originally realized. Next thing you know I'm adding equipment and using a chronograph as an aid to load development, and trying different bullet weights and powder charges. And loving all of it.

Thanks to all who've welcomed me here. I'm a big fan of the forum format over other types of social media. Not to typecast but probably more members tend to be in my age group on the forums as opposed to say facebook.

You’re gonna love it!! when your frizzen gives out you can get a new L and R RPL lock, should drop right in.
Bring a notepad to jot down all the cool goodies you’re gonna wanna make: a couple beads on a wire to clean the touchhole, a stiff brush to clean pan and frizzen, a “turn screw” for tightening the topjaw screw onto the flint... powder measures by wrapping a wire handle around different caliber pistol cases, powder horn, a possibles pouch, a hunting bag, a range rod, tons of stuff way more fun to make than buy.
The French Canadian fur trappers called them “accoutrements” we Americans who are quite proud of the way we mangle everyone else’s language call them “cootermints”

Last edited:
Flintlocks can some times be persnickety, but boy are they fun. Depending where you live, you can even pick up your own rocks for your rock lock.

This form is the best if you ever have a problem the guys on here know a lot of stuff too bad you didn’t get a kit rifle you can have even more fun putting them together as far as cheap guns go I’ll let my targets do all the talking for my cheap guns just take your time and enjoy

Welcome mmb, I'm just up the road from you in Philipsburg. Im also new to muzzleloaders, but went a slightly different direction with a percussion shotgun.

We're practically neighbors. I used to drive through your town on my way to Grice's before the shortages of all things shooting related hit.

The French Canadian fur trappers called them “accoutrements” we Americans who are quite proud of the way we mangle everyone else’s language call them “cootermints”

That's strange, here in UK we also call them accoutrements, pronounced 'accoutrements'.

We love the way that many people in North America mangle any language unfortunate enough to get in their way. 'Critters' from creatures, 'varmint' from vermin, 'swagging' from swaging, and even 'soddering' from soldering.

Keep 'em coming!

Back