• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ignition problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longreyhair

32 Cal
Reaction score
New to black powder. Just picked up a 32 cal., percussion cap, Dixie Gun Works, made in Japan around the mid '80's. Using Goexx 3f, 25 to 35 grains. I'm using a dry cleaning swab between shots, shooting a 310 ball with a dry pillow ticking patch. After 12 to 15 shots, I'm getting a failure to ignite. Could it be a worn nipple? Any help would be appreciated.

When you swab do so that the patch goes in without pushing and pulls out snug. You may be pushing fouling down the barrel that's getting pushed in the channel.

Try blowing through the nipple with a piece of aquarium tube. If there is something blocking the passage you can clear it before loading. It will also help blow junk out of the way. If you can't blow through it you have a problem. Most of the time when I find a problem it only needs to have the nipple picked. The aquarium tube can be found at Walmart or any other place that has pet supplies. I carry a foot of tubing in my shooting bag and it saves me some trouble every so often.

It's a dry swab issue. This will likely solve your problem - after you swab, point the muzzle at the ground and slap the gun in the area of the lock. You'll be surprised at the crumbles that fall out.

If I'm reading you right, you are wiping between shots with a dry patch and Loading with a dry patch???

If so, you should switch to wiping between shots with a soft damp patch. Not wet but damp all the way through. Flannel is a good wiping material.

Try a lube on your ball patch.

You might want to use a jag one size smaller than the caliber you’re using my friend. Use a damp patch and one complete stroke all the way to the breech and wait several seconds. Pull up range rod/ ram rod with one complete pull. No pumping the rod through the process. All the way down to breech plug. Several seconds later, one complete pull!

Also, I’d wipe bore after maybe 5 consecutive shot’s. Waiting 10 to 15 shots before wiping just lets fowling build up in layers upon fowling!

Would also use a nipple pick to clear flash channel of nipple as well after wiping process.

I would imagine if you try this technique, your problem should be eliminated my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Get a nipple’s prick and use it to enpiercen any crustification from forming a blockifing obstructatude.

Also, before shooting, use a pipe’s cleaner and dry patches and soak up any and all excessive lubricants inside the percussion flash channel/bolster. Better it be dry down there.

I used to have the same issue. I do lightly lube the patch and use a damp wiping patch between shots (nothing can be squeezed out of it). I put a stack of cleaning swabs in a container and add Hoppes BP cleaner (windex, some other cleaner, whatever you want to use), then check a few hours later and either add more Hoppes or more patches to ensure they are just damp and no more.
What really ended this problem for me was I read that several members on here turn their cleaning jag down a bit. Like said above, you want the jag and cleaning patch to go down without grabbing the fouling and then bunch up and pull the fouling back out. Leaving the cleaning swab at the bottom for a slow count of 10 or so helps to let the fouling soften. I simply chucked my cleaning jag into a cordless drill and turned it down on a flat file a little at a time until I got the above result.
On a day with a lot of moisture in the air I will still get some fail to fires here and there. Popping a cap after swabbing before I load the next time takes care of the issue on those kind of days.

Back