• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

If you were switching powder from Goex, what to....?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mostly use Goex 3F and will continue until I run out. However, I will purchase a new batch for use after that. What brand should I be considering and why? I guess OE might not be around so what are the choices?
It all depends on what you are shooting. Schutzen and Swiss are top of the line. There are several lower grade coming from China and Mexico that are great for blanks or the occasional hunter (cheap)

Till now I've used both Goex and Schuetzen and couldn't tell any difference between them, so I wouldn't have any problem with Schuetzen if that's what's available.

Personally I'm going to try making my own in anticipation of future supply problems.

Wonder how nitroglycerin is as a patch lube?
Sort of like dynamite, the patch would soak it in and stabilize it a little like the filler does in dynamite.
Lube and load at the same time?
Ramming the ball would be tricky - you'd want to do a SMOOTH ram, not to thump it at all.
Finding your ideal charge would be a very delicate process.

I still have 3 pounds of Goex but quit using it several years ago.
Prefer Schuetzen & Swiss now...

However..I still would like to see GoeX come back.

I'm a Scheutzen guy too. My main concern is what will happen to overall holy black availability with Goex out of the market?? Graf may experience a supply problem until they realign with a new (or previous) supplier.

Maybe Hodgedon thinks that their Pyrodex and 777 products are where the market is at. Maybe they are right! :confused:

Maybe there will be a buyer for the Goex line? Lotsa maybes'

I've never used Scheutzen or Swiss BP. Are they really better than GOEX? I know that GOEX may never come back, so I'm looking into Scheutzen & Swiss for the future. Which of the two is a good all around replacement?
Years ago we were using ELEPHANT BP, and that was a good powder, but switched to GOEX when that disappeared.

I've never used Scheutzen or Swiss BP. Are they really better than GOEX? I know that GOEX may never come back, so I'm looking into Scheutzen & Swiss for the future. Which of the two is a good all around replacement?
Years ago we were using ELEPHANT BP, and that was a good powder, but switched to GOEX when that disappeared.

I use Scheutzen and think it is very comparable to Goex.

Swiss is pretty much acknowledged to be the pinnacle of BP. I have used Swiss and agree on that but it's pricey. OTOH, it may make up for the price difference by being more energetic and therefore needing less to do the job. Users of Swiss can probably address that.

Right now I am setting fairly well with a supply of goex in different granulations,with that being said if and when you can get BP it will be what ever I can lay my hands on.

I called several gun shops within a 30 mile radius today. The few that still sell BP only have 1F & 4F left in stock, and they are backordered for when more of any kind comes in. I'm going to get 4#s of 4F for when I start shooting flintlocks next year.....hopefully. As for my cannons, I found a source of DYI powder that I can buy. So I'm not too worried yet about the current state of things.

I bought a good amount a decade ago from Graffs noticed no difference out to 50 yards between Goex and Graff/Schnutzen 2 or 3f comparing both granulation measured by volume.

Back