If you were Lee

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Muddly

40 Cal
Reaction score
General Lee, God rest his soul, should have learned the lesson of Washington, the lesson that Nyguen Giap and Uncle Ho DID learn a century later.
The lesson being, you don't have to win. You just can't LOSE.

Coinneach

40 Cal
Reaction score
General Lee, God rest his soul, should have learned the lesson of Washington, the lesson that Nyguen Giap and Uncle Ho DID learn a century later.
The lesson being, you don't have to win. You just can't LOSE.
Aint that the raw Truth, I retired from the Army in 2007 after 37 years service, like most of my surviving comrades I'm still trying to make sense of it all.

Red Owl

40 Cal
Reaction score
I always thought that America won all its war with big battlefield victories and to an extent it did but wars are won in many ways. If George Washington had fought the British the way Congress wanted- he would have lost. He waited until a golden opportunity came along. I think Lee might have been "under the Gun" with Jefferson Davis- really don't know- but launching strikes into the north was risky and didn't work. Then, all the best Confederate generals were getting killed and were irreplaceable. Maybe they should have built some sort of "wall" at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley to protect the crops. Richmond could have been sacrificed- just move the capitol someplace else.