If You Went Back In Time . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I'm glad they are over there and not here!
While there are some universal standards, a lot of beauty is what society tells you it is. Hairy, partially shaved, all shaved changes easily in society for both sexes over the years.
Hidden down deep in sexy perfumes and aftershaves where we don’t notice it is the smell of, well shall we say tightly worn clothing on a person who was physically active on a hot day.

Snake Pleskin

54 Cal.
Reaction score
While there are some universal standards, a lot of beauty is what society tells you it is. Hairy, partially shaved, all shaved changes easily in society for both sexes over the years.
Hidden down deep in sexy perfumes and aftershaves where we don’t notice it is the smell of, well shall we say tightly worn clothing on a person who was physically active on a hot day.
I was traveling to Camden ,NJ years ago with my wife (ex wife of 42 yrs) and as we were crossing the Del river in an area of tidal flats to get to NJ from PA, there was this awful foul smell! I looked at my wife and said "What the hejj is that awful smell,?" My wife looked at me with a perfectly straight face and said. "Every woman in Camden must have uncrossed their legs at the same time!" OMG, I laughed so hard , i had tears in my eyes. Can't make this stuff up!

Reaction score
Except they knew how to take "bucket" baths to clean themselves and if we go by the traditions of many of the Amish or Mennonites, they did it on a nightly basis.

I spent about 2 months in Somalia and had to take nightly bucket baths there, so it does work and yes, even for the females.

Gus

Last edited:

artrepro

Pilgrim
Reaction score
As a younger man I was into the woods runner thing. A week or two at a time. Lived off of small game the whole time. My wife was always happy I was home, after my bath.

Now a little more seasoned, I am coming off of a total right knee replacement (10 days ago). I am grateful for the Dr., nurses, all the people assisting my wife and myself in this. I am very grateful for the drugs that have made this less painful.

I always thought going back 250 years would be great. But I would not have had the quality of life I have enjoyed.

Yes I would like to go back in time for a few days at a time. But would need to take my medicine box with me. As a way to make a living I would have to be a clerk of some kind, at my age, or just be a exhibit at the local museum.

Best wishes to all, that you find happiness in the time you find yourself in.

Chuck40219

Attachments

• Me 1c.jpg
    Me 1c.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 0

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Remember the opening post on this thread said for '' a month or two". You'd be more that a "tourist", after a couple of weeks you just may hopefully be a member of that community if you were still alive.You just may be accused of withcraft if anyone sees you taking any prescription medications. Oh,how strong is your immune system?

stephenprops1

40 Cal
Reaction score
You will need supporting data to prove that. I have been a historian and professional genealogist for more than forty years. Maybe you heard that generalization in school.
I spent many years researching genealogy. All you have to do is look at county birth and death records to surmise a high infant mortality rate in most parts of any country.

Reaction score
For me, it’d probably be the food, especially the lack of hygiene in preparing it ( I look back on my childhood, 80 years ago and wonder how the general population survived.
Smells would not be a problem, anyone who was in the East 60 years ago would remember that one soon became used to the smells.
Cleanliness, especially bodily, would be no worry, I once took part in an Army experiment where a group of us lived in the bush for three weeks with only enough water for drinking and washing our hands and faces and only one change of clothing, which was swapped each day, if it was dry.
Sounded like boy scout camp to me

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Aged ten years, I'd have died of a ruptured appendix.
He brings up a point. Modern medicine may be keeping you alive, would medicine back then have helped you? That bottle of pills in your pocket just may be viewed with some suspicion. Unless you are in pretty good shape,health wise, you may give the impression you're possessed or something. At one time I would have been burned or stoned (or something) as a witch for having epileptic seizures.Afterall "I had a demon in me!"

Reaction score
No, I'm staying here and I'll keep going to the gun club to shoot old guns....then stopping at the drive thru for Taco Bell and going home for a hot shower, then some Netflix.

In 200+ years people won't want to come back to the 2020's, they will wonder how we survived to only age 80 or so with this crude technology and guns that used brass cases and gunpowder to fight wars.