• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

If you just ordered a pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsnwater

40 Cal
Reaction score
Take the loading lever apart and debur it before you use it, or you will end up like me.

Attachments

• 082424AF-6B33-4DC6-9224-4CB8ADFF9CE6.jpeg
    082424AF-6B33-4DC6-9224-4CB8ADFF9CE6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Pietta must still be having trouble hiring knowledgeable quality control employees from the 2020 and 2021 pandemic years when their business suffered and probably lost key staff.

ANY new percussion revolver, from any Italian maker you purchase is going to need a good workover before any kind of use. Before I even cock a new revolver, I disassemble it, give the parts a thorough cleaning & inspection to see what's inevitably going to need a good deburring & polishing. You're simply not going to get a finely fitted, flawlessly functioning revolver at the price these guns sell for.

Last edited:
ANY new percussion revolver, from any Italian maker you purchase is going to need a good workover before any kind of use. Before I even cock a new revolver, I disassemble it, give the parts a thorough cleaning & inspection to see what's inevitably going to need a good deburring & polishing. You're simply not going to get a finely fitted, flawlessly functioning revolver at the price these guns sell for.
I do the same thing when I buy a car or truck. take the engine and trans apart clean polish and reassemble :ghostly:

Seriously??? These guns are less than $300 and you're decrying QC because there's scratches on the lever from use?

In fact these guns are much better than they used to be and there's nothing wrong with Pietta's QC.
good post. guys can always buy a Colt for 800-2000 dollars and some have problems also

I think the OP is showing his blood on the loading lever not of any scratches from burrs on the metal parts. If a machinist gave a part to his boss or QC person with burrs on the part, he then would have been severely chastised for not de-burring the part before submitting it for review or inspection.

Seriously??? These guns are less than $300 and you're decrying QC because there's scratches on the lever from use?

In fact these guns are much better than they used to be and there's nothing wrong with Pietta's QC.
This gentleman gets it. C'mon guys, your buying CHEAP pistols. If you want the best buy an original Colt or a Ruger. A few burs quite frankly are to be expected. Both Pietta and Uberti have plenty of faults. If you want perfect the cost goes up exponentially.

I for do not mind doing the work on them myself, its part of black powder shooting as far as I am concerned. Got to take them apart to clean them after shooting, so might as well polish up what while its apart. I had to do some work on my recent 1851 and I learned a lot doing it. It was my first attempt at doing anything on a black powder revolver. Been working on my own unmentionables for years, one thing my Dad taught me when I was very young, after you go hunting or shooting clean the gun when you get home. I think that is very important with Black Powder guns. I have no intention of buying a real Colt as my funds will not let me do it, besides I have no idea of what a good deal on one would be anyway. We just visited Smokey Mountain Knife Works while vacationing in Pigeon Forge, and they had some very old Colts in a locked cabinet with very high prices. Too rich for my frugal self

Take the loading lever apart and debur it before you use it, or you will end up like me.
Every time on every gun before the hammer is moved the whole thing comes apart to be de-greased and de-burred.
Lightly wipe each piece with a cotton ball. That will show the tiniest imperfection,burr or rough spot.
Respectfully
Bunk
I for do not mind doing the work on them myself, its part of black powder shooting as far as I am concerned. Got to take them apart to clean them after shooting, so might as well polish up what while its apart. I had to do some work on my recent 1851 and I learned a lot doing it. It was my first attempt at doing anything on a black powder revolver. Been working on my own unmentionables for years, one thing my Dad taught me when I was very young, after you go hunting or shooting clean the gun when you get home. I think that is very important with Black Powder guns. I have no intention of buying a real Colt as my funds will not let me do it, besides I have no idea of what a good deal on one would be anyway. We just visited Smokey Mountain Knife Works while vacationing in Pigeon Forge, and they had some very old Colts in a locked cabinet with very high prices. Too rich for my frugal self

I've gotten cut by Ruger "unmentionable " revolvers, they have sharp edges too.

Pietta and Uberti make these to a price point, they also know that 90% of users will hardly fire them.

Back