• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you could have an original.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could have an original black powder handgun(s) in like new condition, what would it (they) be?
That is an easy one: Joseph Manton

1616960301066.png

Lematt! Museums snap them up in a flash and good working examples of an original (let alone perfect examples) are rarer then alligator feathers.

Excellent question - so many options my brain is ready to explode.

An acquaintance of mine owns a pair of 58 Remingtons for which he has a three ring binder full of letters and photos. Included are multiple civil war images proving a cavalry officer carried these very firearms into battle. I was allowed to hold and cycle the actions on these pieces of history.

No question - I want these revolvers.

About 1970 , my employment moved to Central Pa. , and me w/ it. One of my new neighbors had a surprising gun collection. The piece that caught my covetous eye was an original brass mounted Jaeger rifle. The cal. was perhaps .58 to .60 ,and flint lock. The roundish proportioned stock was a Light color bird's eye wood with a figure resembling cream poured into coffee , the carving was a vine pattern with tiny blue petaled flowers with redish centers. The Flowers also , seemed to be made of 4 MM Ivory circles with the petals , and centers scribed on them. At the time , I didn't appreciate the piece of amazing art work I held in my hands. Just starting m/l gun creation , I was impressed with the art work , and logged the info in my memory for future reference. The owner wanted me to copy another of his m/l rifles , so I launched into that project , putting his Jaeger on the back burner. Sadly , w/ in a month , the guy died suddenly , and before anyone knew , his collection of guns was sold. Would have loved to have owned that rifle. The only other original gun I ever found with colored flowers on it was a long rifle on display at the Fort Ligonier museum in Ligonier , Pa.. Checked on that rifle around 20 yrs ago , and it was still on display there ...............oldwood

Buying a cased pair of Boutets would cost as much, or more, than buying the English duellers in the first place.... mhb - MIke

Post #1 makes no mention of 'buying', it uses the word 'have'.

I am more than aware of the relative value of a cased pair of Boutet's finest pistols, thanks, a pair might well cost around $200K, but maybe a pair by LePage might be even more financially sound. The last set I saw at auction belonged to the King of Rome, and went, back in 2016, for $1.31 Million That would enable me to buy around a couple of dozen pairs of nice English pistols. Maybe more.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2015/treasures-l15303/lot.35.html

Last edited:
Post #1 makes no mention of 'buying', it uses the word 'have'.

I am more than aware of the relative value of a cased pair of Boutet's finest pistols, thanks, a pair might well cost around $200K, but maybe a pair by LePage might be even more financially sound. The last set I saw at auction belonged to the King of Rome, and went, back in 2016, for $1.31 Million That would enable me to buy around a couple of dozen pairs of nice English pistols. Maybe more.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2015/treasures-l15303/lot.35.html

Just so. But, barring an inheritance, finding a wishing well or magic lamp in working order, such a thing is not in the cards for me, or most of us. The best I can hope to do is acquire those things I really want when, and if, they become available within my not-unlimited financial range. I've been pretty lucky thusfar, and am hoping to be so in future...

mhb - MIke

There are a couple of real Whitworth rifles on offer here in UK, but finding one on your side of the great Water with a Confederate pedigree is going to make you poor, unless, of course, you are already rich. :)

Back