• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If You Could Design Your Own Shooting Range...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the gong.jpg

Another view from our place in Texas. This was the backyard stop for shooting revolvers.
Suspended an old pancake blind leaning forwards so it would deflect downwards.

As many here have experienced, I was an active member of and volunteered for years at the local club.

Time took its toll as a few 'members in good standing' proceeded to leave behind their trash and empty beer cans, not to mention (well, I guess I am, aren't I?) bullet holes in a lot of things other than targets. The only thing they seemed to take with them was their bad manners.

Anyway, for all those reasons (plus a lot more) we now have a very nice setup in our back yard. It took years and we made mistakes that took time to overcome. We now have multiple berms and good benches under cover. Have mentored and helped out friends and relatives. No one gets to use it unless my wife or I are present. Some will offer cash payment - we always refuse. We don't want anyone to be able to say we have a commercial range.

Instead we are treated to fresh vegetables, homemade sauerkraut, elk steaks, etc. One time even got some quality barn board lumber, another fellow provided several cases of clay targets.

I'd wanna be able to roll out of bed, slide the door open, scratch my a$$, blast away, walk thirty feet and brew myself a strong cup of coffee.
Wait, I already can, never mind.
Robby
Awesome isn't it. Half the places I've ever lived including right now I could do the same thing. I still shoot deer & turkey, bobcats, coyotes, armadillos either from the doorway of the fam rm or off the back porch. I keep my trigger sticks tripod, my 12x Steiner bino's & 2 diff muzzleloaders propped up by the fam rm doors all the time. I have a LRF so I have everything pretty well ranged across the yard & field.

• Would use an open, closely mowed field setting with shade trees at the perimeter.
  • Pavilion with covered firing position (1) and loading/cleaning bench positions (3)
  • Running water and electricity for cleaning. Lighting of covered area.
  • Overhead/rafter grab hooks above each loading position designed specifically to hook the handle of a range rod to to allow for clearing stuck loads (a system where you hook the range rod above your head and pull down on the rifle, using the extra leverage of gravity to free a stuck load).
  • Target mounts at 10, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, capable of taking paper target stands or metal reactive targets.
  • General berm at 100 yards.
  • Admission would be close friends and family only.

How would you integrate membership, range use and hunting on the property into your Ultimate Shooting Range? Or would that even be possible?
If the goal is to have your own range on your own land - it's my opinion that combining that aspect with a membership, use of the range by that membership, plus coordinating hunting by that membership is combining oil and water.

In the case of our private range, there is no membership. There are some very close people that we allow to shoot and then only when either my wife or I are present. None of them have hunting privileges. All of them are grateful.

Latest posts

Back