• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

If a spit patch works...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Why not a snot patch? I'm an old cooter and have more snot that spit. In fact blowing my nose for every shot would be no problem at all...do it anyway. The question is, however, how much is needed? Whatever the answer, I'm sure I have plenty...in endless supply.

Of course none of this is to condone the spreading of germs. If one has a cold or the flu or covid, a snot patch is not the best idea. Even Bore Butter would be better if that were the case.

When I lived in Indiana, the locals would often say the roads are "slicker that greased snot" after an ice storm. Maybe mixing some grease with the snot would yield a few more feet per second to the ball. But purists and those who wish to avoid the mess would probably stick with straight snot. Besides why clutter up the possibles bag with grease when the nose is a bottomless well?

Of course BP shooters are inveterate experimenters and if the snot patch caught on, hankies would take a serious beating. Shooters would be wrapping balls with red and blue patches lubed with warm shot, cold snot, dry snot and everything in between. In fact this just got so disgusting, I wouldn't blame Zonie if he deleted it.

Anyway, before someone gets all upset, this was meant to be funny and to inject some humor into the serious subject of traditional muzzleloading.

Spit is a more consistent liquid than snot. Patch lubricants are less finicky than we sometimes think, otherwise how come we have so many "best" patch lubricants of various formulae. I think I would recommend spit over snot.

Why not a snot patch? I'm an old cooter and have more snot that spit. In fact blowing my nose for every shot would be no problem at all...do it anyway. The question is, however, how much is needed? Whatever the answer, I'm sure I have plenty...in endless supply.

Of course none of this is to condone the spreading of germs. If one has a cold or the flu or covid, a snot patch is not the best idea. Even Bore Butter would be better if that were the case.

When I lived in Indiana, the locals would often say the roads are "slicker that greased snot" after an ice storm. Maybe mixing some grease with the snot would yield a few more feet per second to the ball. But purists and those who wish to avoid the mess would probably stick with straight snot. Besides why clutter up the possibles bag with grease when the nose is a bottomless well?

Of course BP shooters are inveterate experimenters and if the snot patch caught on, hankies would take a serious beating. Shooters would be wrapping balls with red and blue patches lubed with warm shot, cold snot, dry snot and everything in between. In fact this just got so disgusting, I wouldn't blame Zonie if he deleted it.

Anyway, before someone gets all upset, this was meant to be funny and to inject some humor into the serious subject of traditional muzzleloading.
you know that when that you runout of spit you also run out of lead in your pencil? and iffen all the cloth that you have to patch with is a stiff old snot rag go ahead & use it! the only one that will know is you & GOD!

I am thinking probably touching off a snot patch round would do a pretty good job of sterilizing it....much better than just dropping it in a can.

Because a snot patch is just a tad shy of becoming a booger patch and that would likely make a barrel obstruction and blow you up ! 😄

Latest posts

Back