Idiot's guide to traditional mocs

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Onojutta, Dec 27, 2009.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 2, 2010 #21

GreyWhiskers

GreyWhiskers

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Jan 2, 2010 #22

William McConagher

William McConagher

William McConagher

32 Cal.

also, depending upon the location you're basing your character from, I know the Kaibab/Navajo style traditional mocs are much hardier in the sole department.

Right now I'm just trying to find someone that has them. I'm based out of Arizona, so I figured a Taos persona would be better suited for me.

Just another idea to bounce off :hatsoff:

3. Jan 2, 2010 #23

ohio ramrod

ohio ramrod

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.

In their journals Lewis and Clark often recorded that a bad wheather day was spent "repairing the moccasins"

4. Jan 3, 2010 #24

crockett

crockett

crockett

Cannon

Moccasins are sort of a problem for today's chap. The problem is that the store bought ones are expensive- especially if you have to buy a new pair every 3-7 days. You could opt for a pair made of heavy leather but then you aren't really pc.
    What to do??????
    1. Buy a lot of leather and make your own, figuring maybe $7-$10 or so per pair and write it off as the cost of being pc. This is a "working pair"- the kind you can make in maybe 20 minutes- no bead work, etc. Salvage as much of the old pair as possible.
    2. Sew on a rawhide sole- there is some documentation to support this option.
    3. Coat the sole with "shoe goo" or the like and hope no one notices.

5. Jan 17, 2010 #25

J.D.

J.D.

J.D.

69 Cal.

Yeah, good mocs are expensive, but they will last much longer than mocs made with thin leather.

IMHO, there were a LOT of mocs made with thick Elk and Buffalo, so yes, using heavy leather is as PC as thin deer.

Moreover, I have seen documentation on double soled mocs, though there was no real description of the style of moc. So yes, a double thickness was sometimes used, possibly as a repair, or maybe just to make 'em wear longer. :idunno:

Found that contact info.

John & karen McAdams (Visions of the past)
    7661 Eaton Tr.
    Edwardsville,Il. 62025

618-656-8334

God bless

6. Jan 19, 2010 #26

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. Is the difference between moccasins and "country shoes" just the leather? Thick cow hide vs buckskin or elk hide, for instance?

If so, would these country shoes be a viable HC / PC alternative to regular mocs? (I mostly use Hi-Lo's except at camp, btw, so it's fairly moot to me.)

The actual definition of "country shoe" may not be at all what I think it is, so if I'm way off base, sorry 'bout that...

7. Jan 20, 2010 #27

John Wasmuth

John Wasmuth

John Wasmuth

50 Cal.

Hmm, well,,, I aint sure, but seems that there was a article from MFT (?) that kinda sorta, in a way, showed the difference twixed white made and ndn made mocs, or "Country shoes" some time ago.

Lets face it, brain tan buckskin will wear out real fast if used for moc's, looks cool, is authentic, but will wear out real quick and that means LOTSA MONEY!!!!

Get a pair of buffalo or moose and they will last for a while. Best thing to do is buy, and I may be cuttin my own throat here, a side of buffalo, moose, or elk, and learn to make yer own and make many pair so you'll always have them.

I'm in the business so I know what it can be done for and what to charge, fair is fair, but a lot of companies charge way to freakin much for a chunk of leather that wont last 3 weeks in the real world.

8. Jan 20, 2010 #28

Dan Goad

Dan Goad

Dan Goad

40 Cal.

Micanopy,
    I am looking for a pattern/instructions on making Seminole hi top mocs. I would also like to look at Creek patterns and any other tribes that were indiginous to my area (East central AL/West central GA). Thanks in advance.

Jac S. Muell

9. Jan 20, 2010 #29

John Wasmuth

John Wasmuth

John Wasmuth

50 Cal.

I am not sure about posting links to historical sites so I will pm you with it. Dont wansa ruffle no feathers.

10. Jan 20, 2010 #30

John Wasmuth

John Wasmuth

John Wasmuth

50 Cal.

Hope that helps you sir.

11. Jan 20, 2010 #31

Dan Goad

Dan Goad

Dan Goad

40 Cal.

It did. Thanks much.