• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

IDFG may reconsider ML rules

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Time to pour out the letters again. Hope this doesn't happen!
Idaho PRB
Fish and Game Commission may revisit muzzleloader decision
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:37 PM EST

LEWISTON, Idaho - The Idaho Fish and Game Commission may revisit its decision to ban the use of in-line muzzleloader rifles in some hunting seasons, after commissioners have been deluged with letters and phone calls from angry hunters about the new policy.

Commissioner Alex Irby of Orofino said he will ask other commissioners if they wish to revisit their position at the commissioner's next meeting in March.

Last month, the commission approved regulations that effectively ban the use of almost all in-line muzzleloader rifles, modern versions of the traditional guns. The intent was to make sure the weapons are short range and subject to weather-related failure.
Muzzleloader users have vigorously protested the regulation change, enacting a letter-writing campaign targeting commissioners, the department, legislators and the governor. They also are circulating a petition protesting the change.

Ed Rankin of Boise bought an in-line muzzleloader last fall. Now he says the gun is useless.

"I'll have myself a boat anchor," he said of the weapon.
He, like many others, argue in-line weapons shoot no farther and are no more accurate than traditional muzzleloaders that are still allowed. But the commission and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game feel otherwise.

The rule change was proposed and adopted because technological advances of the in-line guns improved performance so much that commissioners felt they could no longer justify use of in- lines during muzzleloader-only seasons. Those seasons take place late in the fall when most deer and elk are on winter ranges and slowed by deep snow.

In-line supporters also point to definitions used by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms that call any weapon that is loaded through the barrel a muzzleloader. They think the department and commission should do the same. Those protesting the move say they could live with restrictions to bullets, barrels and powder that would limit the range of muzzleloaders.
Commissioner Tony McDermot of Sagle said he has received more than 200 letters and 75 phone calls from owners of in-line guns. But he said he is not swayed by their arguments and will resist any movements to alter the new regulations.

"If we thought we made a bad decision there is enough courage on our commission to turn that around," he said. "But I don't think it was a bad decision."

Participation in muzzleloader-only hunts has ballooned from about 3,000 hunters in the 1970s to more than 25,000 hunters today.
McDermot said because of the inflated numbers, the commission was faced with either reducing muzzleloader-only hunts or taking the actions they did.

Irby isn't so sure. He said he might be open to altering the rules to allow in-lines, while adopting strict powder and bullet regulations to ensure the weapons can't shoot long range.

One supporter of the new regulations, Gordon Hubbard of Lewiston, is a fan of traditional muzzleloaders such as those used by the frontiersmen.
"When you look at a muzzleloader I see it as a primitive weapon and every time you take a step toward modernizing them, they are just taking a step away from the primitive idea of muzzleloader hunting," Hubbard said.

The commission's next meeting is March 7-9 in Boise.

Information from: Lewiston Tribune,[url] http://www.lmtribune.com[/url]
A service of the Associated Press(AP)

Last edited by a moderator:
if they change i hope it is to let them use inlines with no scopes and all lead conical bullets only, no sabots, pellitized powder....that should keep the range issues at bay and still let them use there inlines, at the very least :v ..............bob

There is an old saying," Money talks and **** walks". I hate to say it but I have a feeling that the fish and game may factor in license sales in with their decision. It may be completely reversed. It may be modified with no scopes but I have a feeling it will change.

I don't think it's that simple, ID wants to DECREASE deer harvest, going back to traditional eliminates a shorter season as threre is less hunters.

white buffalo said:
if they change i hope it is to let them use inlines with no scopes and all lead conical bullets only, no sabots, pellitized powder....that should keep the range issues at bay and still let them use there inlines, at the very least :v ..............bob

[/quote

I agree, and that should include powerbelts,
only open sights and all lead projectitle.

The state of Colorado knuckled under years ago and allowed inline muzzle loaders as the inline manufacturer's brought pressure to bare by suggesting a court battle if they were "outlawed"...

As has been said before, "there is no such thing as an "improved" muzzleloader as all were invented and abandon years ago"...Just because you can find one or two examples of early "kind of" inline experimental muzzle loaders, that should not be the basis to call them legitimate primative weapons...

IMO inlines are an abomination and should be elminated from all primative seasons in all states period...Continued use and revision of the regulations to allow "improved" muzzle loading technology will eventually bring an end to all primative seasons...I believe the end is coming, just a matter of time....

Division's of Wildlife regardless of state do not manage on the basis of what is good for wildlife, but how much money the state can[url] make....Again[/url] money talks and there's no stopping it... :winking: ...The Lizard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back