• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify this mould?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Along with my Whitworth was included some miscellaneous accessories, including 1 of these hexagonal bullets with a cupped base. It measures .441 flat to flat, .466 corner to corner and the bottom cup is .143 deep.
I expect it was intended for paper patching because it would probably fall down a clean bore.
Thank you for your consideration.

Attachments

• 9F406128-547E-4A5A-A229-C4129CAB0F7E.jpeg
    9F406128-547E-4A5A-A229-C4129CAB0F7E.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DF90A733-CDCE-4016-8F16-B6D3173249CA.jpeg
    DF90A733-CDCE-4016-8F16-B6D3173249CA.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 39
Along with my Whitworth was included some miscellaneous accessories, including 1 of these hexagonal bullets with a cupped base. It measures .441 flat to flat, .466 corner to corner and the bottom cup is .143 deep.
I expect it was intended for paper patching because it would probably fall down a clean bore.
Thank you for your consideration.
I am just now learning about the Whitworth rifle and the hex bullets that they fire.
I have learned that cylindrical bullets can be fired through hexagonal rifled bores and that as a part of the paper cartridge making process, cylindrical bullets are indeed “paper patched”.
I am not so sure about the hexagonal bullets being paper patched.
I have also learned that paper patched cylindrical bullets will slide down the bore with only the weight of the ram rod applied.
I can only guess that hexagonal bullets would be loaded the same way.
I suspect that the one hexagonal bullet that you have can be paper patched with very thin rag paper being careful to patch it so that it easily slides down the bore.

Back