• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillbraxllc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old flintlock rifle and have not been able to find any information about the make, age, or value of it. i was wondering if anyone on here might be able to tell me something about it. Someone has told me that it is a cane gun? the barrel has a wood covering on it, and it looks like a cap can be screwed on the end of the barrel. let me know what you all think

I have attached some pictures of the rifle:
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg

I'm moving your topic to the Research section where hopefully someone will be able to help to identify your rifle.

I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it before.

Most of the cane guns I've seen were from the percussion era and they looked much more like a cane. For instance, they usually did not have an exposed lock or a trigger guard.

The curvature of the lockplate makes me think it is quite early. Perhaps mid-1700's??

I'm curious.Looking at that detached butt is that an air rifle by any chance?Is their a touch hole in the barrel at the bottom of the pan in the lock?

Scots Jim said:
I'm curious.Looking at that detached butt is that an air rifle by any chance?Is their a touch hole in the barrel at the bottom of the pan in the lock?

My thoughts exactly.

EVERY cane-gun I've ever seen actually looks like a walking cane. It is pumped up with a seperate air pump and then fired by means of a folding trigger.

Is the stock hollow?

tac

Can't say I've ever seen anything like it. :hmm:
My first guess is the lock, butt stock, and hardware look French, pre-1750. What is the OAL and the length without the butt stock attached? Looks a little long for a cane type gun? What a beautiful, interesting piece. Hope others can lend a hand. Rick.

It is not an air rifle, and there is a touch hole in the barrel at the bottom of the flash pan.

jbrax said:
The butt stock does feel and sound like it is hollow.

Please can we see better images of the words engraved around the breech and the full set of words on the lockplate, if there are any more? Right now all I can see is B Lievens - which is a Dutch name that might also be Flemish. The inscription is in Latin, BTW.

Also, where is the rest of the cocking piece - how does it hold the flint?

Thanks.

tac

The gun has many of the characteristics of what is sometimes called a "Poacher's gun." Basically, a rifle or fowling piece that can be broken down quickly and hidden away. If the barrel can be unscrewed from the "action" section that would indicate this kind of use. Guns made this way were also used by highwaymen, professional assassins, and others simply denied the use of firearms in many European countries.

Wealthy gentleman's takedown travelling gun , look at the wood and silver and fit :thumbsup:

Dutch :hmm: Doepler :hmm: Is it a breech loader?The wallnut looks good so does what looks to be silver sideplate and trigger gaurd .

My guess is that this is a ca. mid-18th century western European(thinking Flemish, French, or Dutch), well-made gentleman's take-down and screw-barrel hunting fowler.

curator said:
The gun has many of the characteristics of what is sometimes called a "Poacher's gun." Basically, a rifle or fowling piece that can be broken down quickly and hidden away. If the barrel can be unscrewed from the "action" section that would indicate this kind of use. Guns made this way were also used by highwaymen, professional assassins, and others simply denied the use of firearms in many European countries.

Sir, all the poachers' guns I've ever seen were VERY simple in design and build, in keeping with the nefarious activities of those who poached.

THIS is a beautiful and VERY expensive work of art of a very high standard.

We are being fed drips by the OP, however, who has not told us

1. The caliber.

2. How the parts fit together - do they screw? Do they snap-fit? Do they press?

3. If the stock is hollow, what is/was inside the stock?

4. How do you get into it?

5. Where are the missing parts?

Where did it come from or how was it acquired by the OP?

More questions are coming to mind, even as I write this...

tac

I can't say I have ever seen an historic poacher's gun, I would think, if they even used a a gun, it would be short and compact and able to fit under a frock coat. Poaching in England was mostly done with traps- quiet, stealthy, inexpensive and far safer. The punishments were very severe, often death. In modern times a favorite poacher's gun in England was a folding .410.

Back