• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify an unmarked underhammer pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow, any ideas who might be the manufacturer?

7603038_3DH01S5Q8.jpg

The shape is the typical New England design. It looks similar to fig. 68 on page 90, from Underhammer Guns by Herschell C. Logan.

Fig. 68 is described as Andrews Ferry & Co.
3 inch, round-octogon, rifled barrel. Stampon the top strap ANDREWS FERRY & CO.

Total length, 6.5".

When you finally get to look at it please photograph all the markings and I'll check this book. Also include a scale like a ruler.

I ended up with this gun and will post some pics as soon as I get a chance. It is unmarked except for the number "4" stamped in several locations. I believe it is a modern gun, did these ever show up as kits? Barrel is 4" and .36 cal. smoothbore.

I'd love to see the mechanism to see how close they kept to the New England designs.

Just made it back home again, I'll try to get some pics taken tomorrow, including some with the gun disassembled.

Nope, no value there. Why don't you send it to me and I'll cut it up so you can scrap it and won't even charge ya cauz I feel bad for you. Seriously, there is some fine workmanship in that pistol! Any idea who made it?

I wish that I knew who made it, I assumed that it was a kit. Patched .350 rb appears like it will work, maybe 10 gr. fff., contemplating firing it. Wonder if it's worth $150-$200?

It is not an original by any means, though it is reasonably faithful to many New England style underhammers such as the Ruggles in outside appearance. If you look at the inside the workings are completely different. I am not sure who makes the action, but I have one that I think was built by the same person that I purchased on Ebay some time ago. I was intrigued by the way they operated which though not original, is quite clever.

One problem with mine, and yours is that it only has a full cock notch, not safety. This is faithful to this style of pistol, but has always made me a bit nervous. I have also found that the sear engagement on mine is not safe due to the angles used, it is possible for the hammer to slip. This may not be an issue with yours, but it is something to watch out for.

Thanks for the updates. Very clean looking gun. I'm intrigued with the action. IMHO it is worth what you posted and possibly more to someone who likes underhammers.

Latest posts

Back