• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identification of barrel marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am trying to identify some barrel marks on a pair of military muskets I have. They are walnut stocked flint/doglocks from around the 1740s with a .75 inch caliber and 3 ramrod thimbles and a somewhat unusual bayonet lug. They look similar to an old style Brown Bess but are most probably continental in origin.

The marks are: T GB which is stamped on the barrel in front of the rear sight (the T is over the GB). The second is a box cartouche hidden under the barrel that reads CH and looks just like a smiley face.

Has anyone seen these marks before and does anyone know what they might mean?

Thanks, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Barrel_marks.jpg

The musket is a percussion lock and probably dates to the 1850's. I am curious about the threaded hole at the breech of the barrel with the cartouche. The marks appear to be inspection / assembly stamps.

Thanks for providing the pictures. They may help others in identifying the muskets.

Hi, thanks for getting back. The percussion lock is a conversion. The other photo is how that gun would have looked and is in the original form.

Attachments

• below.jpg
    below.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 197
  • below2.jpg
    below2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 184
  • below4.jpg
    below4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 187
  • breach.jpg
    breach.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 206
  • lhs2.jpg
    lhs2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 191
  • lhs3.jpg
    lhs3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 197
  • lhs4.jpg
    lhs4.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 195
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 187
"I am curious about the threaded hole at the breech of the barrel with the cartouche."

We are looking at the bottom of the barrel, isn't that the hole where the conversion drum was screwed in?

I have talked to others, it is not a Norwegian and most probably not a Swedish musket, but it certainly has a Swedish connection, perhaps during the 7 years war.

To be more precise, they fit best as relics of the Russo-Swedish War. Frederick I (FR) was King of Sweden from 1720 and Landgrave of Hesse-Cassel (Kassel - modern) from 1730 to his death in 1751. It is feasible that both guns were built around the time of the War of the Austrian Succession (1741 to 1743), which was fought concurrently with the Russo-Swedish War.

Hi, no, I already looked at that one, the stock is all wrong. My pair really do look like the old style Brown Bess. A number of European experts came to this conclusion, but it is certainly not British.

Back